Some sub tips for folks with Dolby Pro-Logic only

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Nov 24, 2001.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Well,
    Some folks have problems getting a low-end with DPL..
    This is what I've found helps me with DPL subs..
    So here's what I've gome up with---
    1. External Crossover with Bassboost:
    One of these can be had for under $30 and can be put to very good use when 45 hertz are selected as the crossover frequency.
    Why? most DPL systems have a single mono hookup where everything under 100 Hertz get put into the sub.
    If you want a rumble machine for a sub, get one of these.
    2. Equalizers:
    YES! Equalize baby! a cheap 10 band EQ can be a great improvement!
    3. Bass processors: Alot of people dread the thought of processors, but some ot there actually "create" bass and can improve your system... Behringer makes a good one. Its the ULTRABASS PRO EX1200
    4. Placement:
    Corner for louder, boomier bass, somewhere else for more detailed bass [​IMG]
    5. Remember, that tweaking will only get you so far, if you want the VERY best, you'll need a nice sub. not just some $20 car subwoofer.
    (I learned that the hard way)
    6. Pre-amp: If you're not using a powered subwoofer, make sure you take a good amount of time to pick-out a nice pre-amp.
    Many people prefer pre-amps with TUBES (me) instead of the traditional transistor amp.
    Tubes tend to sound more "colorful", but can be very expenisive.
    Hope I helped,
    If anyone else wants to add on to this thread, go for it.
    Nathan

2. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I'll go ahead and bump this, so everyone can see it.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Nice tips.. i've been dying to find ways to up the sub in DPL mode... its hella-weak the way it is now...

Do you have any links to the Xovers and Equalizers? I keep on finding all these really expensive ones..

4. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Nick,

I ALWAYS use Ebay.com,

You can get a plain-ole' equalizer for very cheap there (under $20).

And as for the Bassbooster/xover, I bought that for $18 on Ebay too for $15 ($50+ at Radio Shack).

Take a look at my Home Theater website for info on that xover.

Nathan

5. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I went ahead and updated my first post to include a #6..

Also,

Nick, on Ebay search type: Bass Booster or Bass crossover to find some Bass X-overs.

The thing is most are made for Cars (it's fine to use those) so you'll have to buy an AC adapter..

Nathan

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, thanks alot... [​IMG]

7. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

No problem Nick,

I hope you get good results.

Nathan

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Also, what would gimme the best improvement if i only bought one item, the EQ or the Xover?
    i found a couple really good prices on Crossovers, but EQs are either out of my price range (approx $30 CAD... i know its low, but i got no $!), or very old and aren't guarunteed to work...
    heres a Xover that looks like it would work:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1300255376
    i saw your Pyramid one on Ebay too.. it was starting at 14.99 and $15.99 for buy it now. But comparing the specs between the pyramid one and the one above (radioshack brand), they look pretty much equal
    Also, currently my passive subwoofer is hooked up to an exteral stereo amp, whcih is connected to the LFE/Subwoofer out of my reciever. If i got the Xover, how would it be hooked up to my subwoofer?
    Would it go between my Reciever and amplifire with the low-level inputs in the Xover?

9. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Nick,

The optimus will work fine..

A friend of here on the HTF (RyanT) uses an optimus..

I believe going from LFE out to in on the x-over and from out on the x-over to in on your stereo will do the trick!

Good luck,

Nathan

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Great, thanks alot... now i gotta convince my dad to buy it, or buy it myself... [​IMG]

11. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Have Fun!

Anyone else?

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Another thing to do with DPL is make sure you use the 2.0 soundtracks on your DVDs whenever they are included. The sound will be better than the downmixed 5.1 almost every time. This is particularly true in the bass registers since the LFE is thrown out in the downmix procedure.

13. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Good point Phil!

7. Check out some older magazines:

Try going to your library and seeing if they have any old Stereophile & Stereo Review magazines made before '96, as DPL topics will be covered.

8. Speaker Wire:

This can make a big difference is quality.

Some folks like Monster cable or other large cable for thier subwoofer.

I've heard of people using as low as 4 gauge speaker wire for their subwoofer..

I'd recommend at least 14 gauge.

Nathan

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

...Or you could sell all those processors, bass booster and whatnot and buy a DD receiver for $200, and start enjoying your movies with the time otherwise wasted tweaking an obsolete system.
    How is that for tip? [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Pretty insulting, frankly. [​IMG]
    Some people don't have the $200 to spend and have some DPL gear which still works fine. Also, most TV programs and many older movies on DVD still use ProLogic.

16. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

That was pretty insulting Holdem..

Alot of people like Pro-Logic and therefore, see no reason to buy a new receiver..

Alot of people are un-willing or don't have the means to plunck down $200 of cash for a receiver with probable poor quality.

I'm just giving suggestions for improving DPL for dirt cheap or for nothing at all..

DPL is NOT obsolete and if it was, why would all the newest receivers have it?

Nathan

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i mean, most of the entertainment you can watch on a television are displayed in stereo, or Dolby Pro-logic surround sound (where available). Only some PPV movies, DVDs, and some LDs have Dolby Digital, Whereas Dolby Pro-logic surround sound can be used in ANY stereo sound source. CDs, VHS Tapes, Casette tapes, MP3, last-gen video game systems, etc. Since 78% of my viewing is in 4:3 material and is only in analog audio, im keen on upgrading the DPL side of my ht.
    I mean, DPL is still totally adequate and is not out of date. [​IMG]
    Okay, i just bid for it... I hope itll give enough improvement in the bass thats worth $16 USD. or $25 CAD.. thats a DVD right there!

18. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Good point Nick!

19. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Nick-
    Here is exactly how to hook up your sub crossover, you might want to save this--
    Go from LFE (Sub Out in DPL) out to Low Level in on the xover and go from the Xover's output into the TAPE IN, CD/AUX IN, or other input of your stereo.
    That should work..
    Go ahead and select these the buttons on your Xover:
    I suggest crossing it over at 80 Hertz, that'll clean up any accidental voices/high sounds thrown in by the DPL's subwoofer out..
    For the bass boost? Select whatever pleases you..
    [​IMG]
    Now, How do I get power to this thing????
    Take a standard AC adapter (12V) and cut off the very end adapter.
    Next, you will see that there are 2 different wires (like speaker wire) - and + .
    Put the + strand into the B+12V screw-terminal and the - strand into the REMOTE screw-terminal.
    Hope that helps,
    Nathan

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ah, exactly as i thought... (after reading the installation readme at radioshack.com :p )
    Just wondering though.. Im pretty sure it doesnt, but im not 100% sure... Does the sub out in DPL mode already have a Xover?
    I have an old DPL processor, and the Sub output is NOT cross overed. I assume DPL specs havent really changed for new recievers since then.
    Lol... my bday is coming up in 2 days, and i told a couple of my friends i want DVDs, but then i also told them i dont want 10 movies as birthday presents [​IMG].. Now im just hoping that at least one or two people actually get me a DVD,
    BTW thanks alot for the help... Haha, this is the first upgrade i actually paid (paying) for myself in full.
    Edit: