Some RPTV Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Skains, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Joshua Skains

Joshua Skains Auditioning

Mar 28, 1999
    I have a Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD player and a Panasonic 47wx42 and I have some questions as this is the first RPTV I have owned.

1. I set the DVD player to PS and 16:9. I played a movie in widescreen mode (Snatch), but the DVD player displayed a message that said "DVD Software Contains 4:3 Data" or similar. It then ended up cutting off the top and bottom of the screen, but it filled up the widescreen image. I changed the aspect ratio on the TV to 4:3, but it squished the image. What should I do in this situation?

2. The regular cable (going through a cable box and S-Video) just looks so grainy and jagged. Sometimes people's heads just look like a stack of lines. Is this a TV problem (IE: Bad TV) or is it an adjustment or what?

3. It seems like the top 2" of the TV is slightly darker (like a small band) than the rest of the image. Is this a potential problem? It is bearly noticable, but I can see it.

2. Gilbert ^P

Gilbert ^P Stunt Coordinator

Nov 5, 2002
    it always says that on the panny. my does the same thing. just set your dvd player to 16*9 and tv to full and enjoy. 2.35 movies will still have bars on top and bottom.
  3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

Aug 18, 2001
    1. What Gilbert said assuming you have the RP91 player. What you see being cut off at top and bottom is slight, no? That's probably just TV overscan.

2. Can you give more details about what you see? Generally, regular cable feed will look mediocre or worse on a big TV. Some channels will look decent some of the time, but don't expect much.

3. This doesn't sound right. What are you using to see this slightly darker band? Is this a brand new TV or a demo/open box/etc?