Some RPTV Purchase Advise Please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradP, Aug 10, 2002.

1. BradP

BradP Guest

Well, I'm finally getting ready to take the plunge and upgrade my old Pioneer 57" widescreen non HDTV to a new HDTV.

I am considering the Pioneer SD643HD5, which I have the space for (gotta go bigger than the 57"!) and I have read many good things about. There's a great price ($2799) on one locally here which tells me it MIGHT be the best bang for the buck (plus I really don't want to spend much more than that, considering I gotta sell my old set and likely can't get a LOT for it).

Just a few questions/concerns though, that I was hoping some folks with more HDTV know-how could fill me in on.

1) HDTV Reception -- First off, I realize the set does not come with its own HDTV tuner, but that's not so important to me, considering I use DirecTV now and will likely upgrade to an HDTV system in the future (or a digital cable HDTV box). Either one of those will handle my HDTV tuner stuff, right? The only thing a built-in HDTV decoder does for me is broadcast stuff off the antenna in HDTV (which isn't in my rural area yet, anyway).

2) 3:2 Pulldown -- The set does NOT have this feature nor does the DVD player I am going to purchase (Philips 963SACD -- I believe it doesn't anyway). Is this going to be a severe problem or is it one of those things that unless I'm a real stickler for detail, I won't even notice? I've already strayed away from players with the Chroma bug, is it a similar thing to that in the fact that there are noticeable picture anomalies?

3) DVD - Progressive vs. Line doubler - I'm planning on purchasing the Philips 963SACD DVD player when it eventually comes out (it's essentially an improved Philips 962). That would be my first progressive scan player, upgrading my Sony 330. I'm now reading that I could only use EITHER progressive scan OR the TV's built-in line doubler. Considering the Pioneer's line doubler is supposed to be so good, will I even use the progressive mode of the DVD? I assume I can just use the line doubler with my anamorphic DVDs until then, right? And I should notice a picture improvement? This would also apply to HDTV via DirecTV as well correct? Would it improve my standard satellite picture as well before I go HDTV?

4) DVI - I see this brought up a lot but still can't seem to find out why so many folks want sets with this capability. By buying a set WITHOUT DVI, what possible problems/incompatibilities might I see in the future?

I guess I just don't want to be upset with my set in a year or so, I want something that will give me a damn fine picture for the next 5 years, give or take, until I go to the next level.

Thanks for your response (to anything!)

Brad

2. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

I can give opinions on some of your questions / concerns...

>>>1) HDTV Reception -- First off, I realize the set does not come with its own HDTV tuner, but that's not so important to me, considering I use DirecTV now and will likely upgrade to an HDTV system in the future (or a digital cable HDTV box). Either one of those will handle my HDTV tuner stuff, right? The only thing a built-in HDTV decoder does for me is broadcast stuff off the antenna in HDTV (which isn't in my rural area yet, anyway).>2) 3:2 Pulldown -- The set does NOT have this feature nor does the DVD player I am going to purchase (Philips 963SACD -- I believe it doesn't anyway). Is this going to be a severe problem or is it one of those things that unless I'm a real stickler for detail, I won't even notice?

3. Chet Hayes

Chet Hayes Agent

"4) DVI - I see this brought up a lot but still can't seem to find out why so many folks want sets with this capability. By buying a set WITHOUT DVI, what possible problems/incompatibilities might I see in the future? "

The DVI/DCHP spec is not just an electrical interface spec. It covers encryption to provide copy protection from source to display. It requires the final decryption to be done in the DISPLAY. No external converter, etc is allowed.

That means that whatever material this might be used in the future to protect, will not be viewable at 720 or 1080 without DVI/DCHP in your display.

Without knowing what it might be used to protect, PPV? future HD-DVD's? etc. there is defintely some risk. I agree that with 3 mil sets out there, it may not be easy to do. But I think characterizing using DCHP for some content as "pulling the plug on the existing 3 mil." is extreme. If they do it, the industry will point to the fact that the 3 mil can still view HD from a wide variety of unprotected sources. And the sources that are DCHP, are still viewable without DCHP at lower resolution. No question it sucks, but could they pull it off? I don't know. What worries me is they clearly wouldn't be trying to put DCHP in, without intending to use it for something.

The worse part is, it's hard to quantify the risk.