Some reviews of WICKER MAN disc and a question: is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Leonard, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Some fine reviews of the upcoming Wicker Man DVD:
    http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/wman-lmtd/
    Thanks for your input!
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

2. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Kevin,
    I know little about Wicker Man, but your signature caught my eye. Elvis and I go waaaay back - back to when I happened to see him on Saturday Night Live ('77?) and he blew me away. He's been number one on my list ever since.
    Jon
    "B movie, that's all you're to me...I can't stand it when it goes from real to reel, too real too real."

3. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    If you think that Christopher Lee is "the man", then you have to get it--it's one of his best performances, right up there with "Horror of Dracula". Edward Woodward is great, too and makes a perfect foil for Lee. The script is brilliant (although time seems to have caught up with it, irony wasn't in fashion in the mid-70s, like it is today). But... the direction is heavy-handed and doesn't do justice to the irony and satire inherent in the script and the music, especially if you're into Celtic folk, is godawful--Robert Burn's lusty ballad "Corn Rigs and Barley Rigs" is sung like a sensitive-singer/songwriter lament over the opening credits and some of the other tunes sound like they were arranged for a tv variety show. Definitely worth seeing and owning, but a mixed bag.

4. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Stunt Coordinator

I cannot impress upon you enough, your need to get this DVD. This is not opinion. This is empirical fact that can be proven under close scientific scrutiny. If you like horror movies and Christopher Lee, even if just in passing, this is a no-brainer. And you must get the limited edition with the longer cut.
    I even happen to like the direction and the music. Both of which have taken their share of knocks. I think both are perfectly in tune with the tone of the film. A lot of people don't like the direction because of the movie's visual drabness. I think it captures a pagan feel quite perfectly, along with the music. I have even horrified coworkers by singing along with "Corn Riggs and Barley" on the CD soundtrack.

5. Dan Clark

Dan Clark Stunt Coordinator

It's certainly not one of the scariest movies ever (IMHO), but the brooding mood conveyed throughout the movie is very cool.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Iron Maiden does a rockin' cool song about it. They burn a giant wicker man on stage with Bruce Dickinson and naked women inside.
    'Nuff said.
    [​IMG]

7. Dan Clark

Dan Clark Stunt Coordinator

As far as other Wicker Man related music goes, a band called The Mock Turtles also recorded a song called "Wicker Man" on their album "Turtle Soup". But even nicer is their version of "Willow's Song" which appears on the same album. The same song, at least the melody, was also recorded by Sneaker Pimps as "How Do", and by Autour De Lucie as "Island". The liner notes for Autour De Lucie's album indicate the lyrics were adapted by Michael Head (Shack/Pale Fountains) from "The Landlord's Daughter" by Paul Giovanni but I think that is a mistake. "The Landlord's Daughter" is a different song entirely which appears earlier in the movie. Okay...enough music trivia for tonight! [​IMG] Regards, Dan

8. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

I think this movie is great. There is an aura of moodiness and eerieness that is ever-present right upto the shocking finale. The music is certainly a love it or loathe it affair. I actually find the music hilarious - but it does seem to go with the quirkiness and eerieness of the film. It has definately dated, it isn't THAT scary, but I would definately recommend that you buy it.
    ------------------
    M.J.

9. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Why would someone call this movie 'scary'? [​IMG]
    It is, however, wonderfully atmospheric. I also happen to like the music quite a bit and think it adds a lot to the film.
    Anyway, I've been very happy since reading the reviews. It looks like Anchor Bay did the right thing in using the theatrical print and then inserting the lesser quality elements as needed for the extended cut, just like they did with Army of Darkness.
    Does anyone know what the easter egg is? Please, please, please tell me!
    Oh wait, I think I just figured out the scary part:
    Spoiler:
    Christopher Lee in a dress! [​IMG]

------------------
    Oh No! Another DVD List!
    "Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

10. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

THE WICKER MAN is one of my favorites. It has a wonderful atmosphere and its low budget serves it well. I don't think the film is scary in the slightest and I would hesitate to call it a horror film (though for expedience sake, the movie doesn't seem all that out of place among the horror section of video stores). The film is a cautionary tale about the arrogance and bigotry of faith (in this film it's the Christian faith in particular). I can't wait for the DVD.
    -Jerry

11. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I remember watching The Wicker Man on VHS some years back, expecting a horror film and being enormously disappointed. I'm looking forward to checking out the DVD (full length version, I assume) with my expectations more in line and seeing how it holds up. I do love Celtic music so I may have to cut it some slack there.
    ------------------
    http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
    Jan Strnad
    author of Risen and
    "The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

12. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I saw this in its original arthouse release (circa 1973). It was wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing the extended version. I've got no idea which version I saw way back when.

13. debi_lee

debi_lee Stunt Coordinator

hey julie
    i don't know how to do the black-out on spoilers here, but if you want to know WHAT the easter-egg is, it's included in my review, which you can get to from the dOc home page, use logo link below [​IMG]
    Anchor Bay went above the call and beyond on this one, i couldn't be more impressed!
    ------------------
    http://www.catsprite.com
    [Edited last by debi_lee on August 21, 2001 at 02:38 PM]

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Be patient Keith. It doesn't street till 8/21 so Netflix will have it listed shortly.
    A wonderful package, with a very nice transfer, super extras and a terrific movie (not really horror at all, though it has moments that creep me out). It's hard to tell someone about it without giving the enjoyment of the film away. Seeing it for the first time is a wonderful experience that I cherish highly. You're in for a treat. Just don't expect it to be horror, even though Lee and Ingrid Pitt are in it. Think of it as a mystery with more depth and substance than any other mystery I can think of.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

15. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

I'd advise a rental. That's what I did, and I'm happy with that choice. I enjoyed the movie, particularly the music, but it's not something I need for my collection. It's of course another beautiful DVD from Anchor Bay technically. My problem is with the film - I never found the tone of the film and the subject matter to mesh - of course, that could be a large reason for its cult status. With many of these films, you simply had to be there. If I saw it theatrically when it was released and was impressed with how different it was to other films of the time, then I'd still be impressed. As it is, it's hard to put it back into the context of the time.
    Devil's Rain - now that's another story, entirely [​IMG]!

16. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

This is an undefinable classic, and even if you don't turn out to like it (exactly why this would happen, I have no idea), you shouldn't have too much trouble shifting it.
    By turns erotic, comic, chilling and always surprising, it's one of those films that you get into immediately, and keep in mind IT IS NOT A HORROR FILM!
    The jar of foreskins in the chemist/photographer's always makes me shudder!
    The best phrase I can think to describe it is "Everything you hoped for and nothing you expect."