What's new

Some random ?'s about speaker wire (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I was looking into some speaker wire and was wondering what is meant by crimped connections? I know what soldered ones are and thought I knew what crimped was but now I am not so sure.

Also, has anyone tried hometheaterdirect.com's new line of speaker wire, especially the bi-wire type? I was thinking of getting some Canare 4s11 and then ran into the HTD brand.

Thanks.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Nobody? My last couple of posts on this site have gone unanswered and they have been simple questions. Oh well.

I found out what crimped connections were, guess I was reading to much into it. The way the manufacturer worded the description for the speaker cables was confusing and made me think crimping was more than just "crimping" the wires to the spades.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Crimped connector, the connector meets the wire behind with a metal tab that is folded over and squeezed together to hold the wire end attached.

A good solder joint is electrically superior to every other method of attaching the wire and needs no attention. Screwed on or push on joints should be disassembled every few years and cleaned, sometimes just the act of unscrewing and rescrewing results in enough cleaning. It is not practical to disassemble crimped connections for cleaning as the metal tab will break from being unfolded and refolded. But a crimped connection can often be converted to a soldered connection after disassembling.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

I can't rate different brands of wire because I don't buy wires for the brand name or for a particular kind of connector (spades, etc.) attached, unless the terminal posts on the amp or speakers absolutely needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks