Some quick questions about Paradigm Studio speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Mar 6, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I may upgrade my current speakers to a Paradigm Reference set up and I have a couple of questions.

1. Since the Studio 100's arn't video shielded, how far do I have to keep them away from the tv to keep them from messing with the image?

2. I plan on running the Studio 100's, a Studio CC, and four Studio 20's. With a Dennon 3801 at first (I do realize this won't allow the 100's to reach their full potential) but will I just be able to eventualy add on an amp to the 3801 to power just the 100's or will I have to get a seven channel amp for all the speakers. I guess what I'm asking is will the Studio 20's and the Studio CC sound fine with just 105 wpc?

Thanks for the info!

james

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

"1. Since the Studio 100's arn't video shielded, how far do I have to keep them away from the tv to keep them from messing with the image?"

18 inches technically, but 24 to be safe.

"2. I plan on running the Studio 100's, a Studio CC, and four Studio 20's. With a Dennon 3801 at first (I do realize this won't allow the 100's to reach their full potential) but will I just be able to eventualy add on an amp to the 3801 to power just the 100's or will I have to get a seven channel amp for all the speakers. I guess what I'm asking is will the Studio 20's and the Studio CC sound fine with just 105 wpc?"

Yes, most definitely. I have the 3801 and Studio 20's and it powers them just fine. The 100's will do fine with it too for the time being until you get a nice 2-channel amp.

3. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

James, I own the 20's, not the 100's so i'll just answer the questions that you asked about them. 105wpc is more than enough to make the Studio 20's shine. I have a yamaha RX-V595 that only has 75wpc, and that delivers clean output right up to the threshold of what I consider a comfortable volume level for music/movies.

4. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

FYI, the 100's sound fine with 100wpc, as long as you run them on small. That's my experience with the RX-V1000, anyway. Obviously, you need to take care that you don't overdrive the amp, since the headroom won't be huge...

Regards,

Martin.

5. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I have this exact setup. Studio 100 mains, 4 studio 20's for surrounds, studio CC, and a Denon 3801 receiver.
    I'm generally happy with the setup and for most listening it's okay. I feel like that I'm really missing out on something that an external amp will bring out.
    I guess what I'm saying is the setup will work just fine as long as you don't try to turn things up too loud (10 below reference is about the max you can do), but you will find yourself wanting to upgrade [​IMG]
    I'm just debating now if I should go with an Outlaw 770 (when it's released) or should I get 2 amps (one 5 channel one 2 channel).
    -Alan

6. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the advice guys I'm pretty much sold on the idea of the 3801, now I just have to find one. Alan do you find the 3801 and the Studio's do a nice job with the Dolby 6.1 soundtracks? Thanks!

james

7. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Alan,
    Why stop with just a 5 channel and a 2 channel. I have been contemplating getting another anthem MCA5 so I can bi-amp my fronts. That would be sweet. I have also considered going with a tube amp for my 100's. More power, I need more power![​IMG]

8. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I think 6.1 is awesome. It's why I have the setup that I do. It really bothered me that there where a few software titles out there that I wasn't listening to their "ideal" mix because I didn't have 6.1. So 6.1 surround sound and DTS:ES Discrete where a must for me.

One of my favorite demos to show other people is the "sword" scene from gladiator and the THX intro's on Toy Story and Star Wars:TPM. The latter in particular is really immersive.

As to Brandon's comment I have though about going with two five channel amps and bi-amping the 100's, but I'm not sure that this would be an ideal setup. I guess I would be interested in hearing what others would recommend.

Obviously I would get a 3802 over the 3801 right now (if you can even find a 3801) and I haven't regretted the purchase in the least, but I have a feeling that my 100's will only get better with more power and the 3801 is just a bit on the anemic side.

-Alan