What's new

Some quick comments about The Brat Pack Movies & Music Collection (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
(With apologies to Robert Harris! At least I tried to come up with a unique subject line!)

Last week saw the release of Universal's The Brat Pack Movies & Music Collection. I have not had time to complete a full review, given it is three movies, but as some of you may have discovered, you can't judge a notebook by its new cover. In interest of time, I wanted to give you a heads up.

First off, the collection contains three John Hughes movies: The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Weird Science. The movies are held in Caselogic-style album sheets in a three-ring binder. Along with the movies comes a CD (more on this later).

Now the kicker... it's just a repackaging of the 2003 releases! The discs have a 2003 copyright date, even the files on the discs have a September 2003 creation date. So the transfers are absolutely unchanged. The only extras are trailers for Club and Science. The same old forced advertising is on each disc--the only way to avoid it is to fast forward. Ugh.

The collection also includes The Brat Pack Music CD. This 8-track CD includes the following:
"True" - Spandau Ballet (5:37)
"Tenderness" - General Public (3:33)
"If You Leave" - Orchestral Maneuvers In The Dark (4:28)
"Weird Science" - Oingo Boingo (3:47)
"Oh Yeah" - Yello (3:05)
"Pretty In Pink" - The Psychedelic Furs (4:37)
"Don't You (Forget About Me)" - Simple Minds (4:18)
"I Go Crazy" - Flesh For Lulu (3:50)

I rather like the music CD.

The discs are all 1.85x1, and enhanced for 16x9 televisions. They all offer Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 soundtracks. But they offer nothing new from the 2003 releases, except a nice combined price.

I am going to spin the discs up soon on the big TV and give them the torture test. Actually, I am rather looking forward to Weird Science as I've never seen it. More to come.

- Steve

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Weren't there problems like missing lines of dialogue on some of these releases? That would be pretty lame if Universal didn't use this opportunity to correct them.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
A search here on Weird Science shows that a couple of short lines may have been truncated between the "Home Video" version on VHS and the version presented on DVD.

- Steve

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
how can one (a guy) not have seen Weird Science!?? :D

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
(Ahem) because they were not building something that interested me... :)

- Steve

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I wish that CD was offered separately. I already own the "High School Reunion Collection" that had the original packaging of these three movies so I can't justify the double dip, but I would buy the CD in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks