Some questions on DIY 6.1, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Nov 6, 2001.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Hey there-
    I'm gonna hook up an Audiosource SS5 DPL Decoder to a JVC RX-1028!
    My Questions are--
    1. I have 3 selections on my decoder: Matrix, DPL and, Hall.
    Which one should I choose to have 6.1 work properly?
    2. Will my rear speakers still work fine in 5.1? Will they still get all their signals? or will putting them in a DPL Processor screw them up?
    3. My DPL processor has an 27 watt amp in it, which I'm not going to use. I'm kinda confused, What will amplify my rears? Because I'm putting the decoder in a pre-out, my rears will still be powered by my JVC RX-1028, correct?
    Thanks so much!
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
    "Way to go Dallas!!!"

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Nathan- Congrats on the receiver!
    Here's some info for you based on my experiences with a DIY 6.1 set up:
    1) Straight DPL decoding of the rears to get the rear center is probably the best way to go for genuine (THX) Surround EX/DTS-ES material. I would use one of the other 2 modes for "std" DD/DTS discs. But, experiment, see what *you* think sounds the best.
    2) If you don't want to do *any* processing, just use your DPL decoder in "bypass" or straight 2 channel stereo mode. That should pass the original L + R rear signals through unchanged.
    3) The 2 L + R rears channels will still be powered by the JVC. I'm guessing that you will need the SS5 to power the newly extracted rear center channel. (A lot of add-on processors like the SS5 had amps included for the 2 rears and front center channel.)
    [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. derek

derek Second Unit

All 3 rear speaker sets will be powered by the DPL receiver. This assumes you are putting the L/R surround preouts from the JVC into the DPL unit and using the L/C/R speaker outs of the DPL unit. See my FAQ for further info.
    ------------------
    Derek
    Surround EX FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...urroundex.html

4. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Thanks guys!
    What I'll do is go surround out on my DPL reciever and power it with my 300x2 Power Amp..
    Is there any way at all to make sure my rears don't get DPL, but get 5.1?
    Is there a different why to wire it, to make sure this happens?
    Or is it already this way?
    *I know almost nothing about this, I just have some info on how to hook it up via left & right preouts*
    Thanks,
    Nathan
    [Edited last by NathanP on November 06, 2001 at 04:53 PM]

5. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

With your receiver, you should still be able to use the pre-outs and the internal amplification of the receiver at the same time. If so, here is how I would do it:
    LR and RR pre out on receiver to LF and RF of DPL processor. This will extract a center channel that will now be your rear center. Use the power built in the DPL processor and see if that is sufficient to power your RC, if not then amplify.
    Best of luck.
    [Edited last by Kendal Kirk on November 06, 2001 at 05:25 PM]

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

BTW, the mode that you want to select on your rear processor is 3 channel DPL. If you select plain DPL, some info may be sent to the non-existant rear surround outputs from the second processor... hope this made sense.?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

7. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I don't have Dolby 3 stereo on my dpl decoder, so I'll haft to use Matrix, Hall, or DPL.
    So, let me get this right,I'll still get 5.1 in the rears?
    That's my main question.. I would rather have 5.1 discrete channels then 3 speakers in 5.1 and 3 others in DPL..
    Any other answers are welcome!
    Thanks guys!
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Way to go Dallas!!!"

8. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Check the receiver's controls again. You need Dolby 3 decode mode, otherwise the out of phase portion of the rear sound WILL be deleted from your system. The ones you mention are room effects modes and have nothing to do with the decode methhod. The decode method is usually in the same control sequence that lets you choose which speakers are present. In this case you want to set the receiver up so it does NOT have rear speakers but only the "front" three.
    When you want to feed 5.1 discrete and not have the DIY center rear active, just set the receiver to plain old 2 channel stereo mode.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Nathan, OK first off Derek is correct, if you use your Dolby Digital receiver to power your Surround L/R channels you are not going to be hearing EX "plain and simple". The DPL decoding as well as the EX processors do more than just place some mono sound in a rear speaker as many here are indicating. For instance lets listen to Monsters Inc trailer on Toy Story II. If your Dolby Digital receiver is powering the Surround L/R and the DPL processor is powering your new EX channel you will hear the dog growl in the Surround L/R and in the new EX speaker. This is wrong!
    Now lets remove the Surround L/R from the Dolby Digital receiver and allow the DPL processor to decode not only the new EX channel but also process the Surround L/R. Now when the dog growls the only speaker that you will hear the growling in is the rear EX which is the correct placement of the growl as it is taking place behind the camera. There is only one dog not three!
    Use Dolby Prologic Normal for the correct setting for your EX. I am yet to find a 5.1 disc that does not utilize the EX channel. I personally believe so called "EX encoding" is nothing more that the mixer a little more aware of the usage of the EX channel. All 5.1 always used a Phantom imaging to create a center surround image by simply placing mono sounds in the Surround L/R. Now we are placing a speaker behind the main seating to pull it back and create a true rear image. If on you system you chose to not run the EX channel on a 5.1 then simply place your decoder in Stereo mode. If you play software that is in say 4.1, 2.0 and Prologic on your main decoding then the Surrounds will collapse into the EX channel as the Surrounds are mono and this again will be where you might want to place the decoder in Stereo.
    Wes
    [Edited last by Wes on November 06, 2001 at 09:36 PM]

10. John H

John H Second Unit

11. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Thanks guys that was VERY helpful.
    2 FINAL questions.
    1.How will doing 6.1 effect my rears in regular 5.1 movies? Should I just use 6.1 in those to?
    2. My DPL Processor doesn't have Pre-outs.. What it has is
    Line in, Tape out, Tape in, Line Out (Front), Mono subwoofer, center out, and surround out
    The manual says that to get DPL you have to go from LINE IN TO TAPE OUT on your receiver (REC) and from LINE OUT TO TAPE IN on your receiver (PLAY).
    So,
    How what outputs would I use to hook the processor up onto my receiver?
    Thanks guys, I can't wait to do this!!!!!
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Way to go Dallas!!!"

12. John H

John H Second Unit

I also use a DPL processor to extract an EX/ES channel. I find it works very well with non EX/ES 5.1 material.
    As Wes stated above

13. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Thanks guys!
    Can I get an answer to my previous question about hooking up the Processor to the receiver???
    Thanks,
    Nathan

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You're over-thinking this problem. It's quite easy.
    Your objective is to just get that rear center channel out of the DPL decoder. THAT IS ALL.
    Kendal Kirk's reply is how you should use your existing gear to get that rear center channel information/amplification. Keep everything else (5.1 setup) the same as before (preserves the discrete nature of the 5.1 channels).
    If your JVC receiver doesn't have rear left/right pre-outs to feed an external amp or decoder, then you are SOL and can't do DIY 6.1.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

15. John H

John H Second Unit

Kendal and Patricks suggested method of connection will work. I have experimented with this configuration in the past. Just letting the DPL unit process out a rear center channel only.
    But as Wes has already pointed out in his above post to hear true EX/ES as it was intended you must...

16. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Thats how I plan on doing it.
    Thing is, My processor DOES NOT have LF and RF inputs just these listed inputs:
    Line in, Tape out, Tape in, Line Out (Front), Mono subwoofer, center out, and surround out.
    There's something I'm not getting here, sorry
    [​IMG]
    I would go from left/right preouts of my system to Line in on my processor. Right? Or some other way? Will I use the line outs on my DPL processor in any way?
    I'm sorry, I'm just a bit confused.
    Nathan
    [Edited last by NathanP on November 07, 2001 at 10:58 AM]

17. John H

John H Second Unit

You would use the L/R "Line In" on your DPL processor.

18. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Thanks John!
    My receiver has pre-outs, so I'm fine.
    So, I'll go from my pre-outs to line in on my receiver.

19. John H

John H Second Unit

quote: My receiver has pre-outs, so I'm fine.
    So, I'll go from my pre-outs to line in on my receiver.[/quote]
    That would be Rear L/R preouts on your 5.1 receiver into Line In L/R inputs on your DPL processor.
    Use the Center out on your DPL unit to extract a center rear channel. It is best if you can also use the L/R Front outs on the DPL unit to supply your L/R side surrounds.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    [Edited last by John H on November 07, 2001 at 11:46 AM]

20. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Sounds good, Johnny!
    Anyone else have any tips/tricks that they want to suggest?
    This would make a good help file for anyone that's going to do this.
    Nathan