some questions for someone working at best buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyD, Oct 17, 2002.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i ahve a chance to work at my local BB. and was hoping i could get some feedback.
    no axes to grind please and no i hate best buy posts. i just want to know a few things.

i'm just trying to get some extra money for bills and spending. and since i buy lots of dvd's i thought it would be a good idea to work there for the discount.
    i retired from the usps 2 years ago and wanted to get something for a few months.

apparently they give you a very good discount. can someone verify how much it is?

and what type of salary range should i expect.
    i would be on the floor or at a register so something to that general salary place.

how is the atmosphere? again no bashing just a general idea.

any help would be apreciated.

please dont go to the "why would you want to work there" area.

i'm not looking for the best buy returns horror stories.

i just want some opinion from employees of the store.

thanks.

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I used to work there p/t for about a year or so. The discount is OK depending on what you buy. Anything under $25.00 is a 20% discount if I recall then everything over that is roughly 5% over cost.
    For a $4000.00 HDTV this could mean a 1200-1500 discount but on a $400.00 TV this may only get you about $15-$35.00 off.
    As a rule of thumb the highest markup areas are car audio and home audio. Car audio stuff will get you about a 40-45% discount off regular price. Home audio stuff is pretty close to that too.

Jeff

3. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    i guess no one here works there. well never mind then.

4. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    well jeff thatwas strange i posted my last thing 5 hours before you and yours showed up before mine.

5. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i worked there for about 10 months in the media department (movies/music/games) and about 2 months as a cashier. The media department isn't bad at all as there aren't that many products that you are forced to sell extended warranties on. Being a cashier isn't fun though. It gets extremely dull and you must offer the warranties to everyone with a product that can have it...you'll have front end sale leaders telling you how poor you are doing all day.

as for discounts....it is quite good...you get a lot of cash off of nearly any accessory (cables and such..i loaded up on AR interconnects before i quit). Car Audio is great too...i picked up my $150 head unit for $100 and my $100 speakers for $50. there are also a few companies that offer special discounts to best buy employees...JBL, Canon and others. check out cyberscholar.com for more. Like jeff was saying...you'll get a pretty nice discount off projection tvs...not so much on CRTs though. CDs aren't marked off much at all...but some dvds will be a few bucks less for you.

you might be a little pissed at the fact that the managers are the ones making the money off of your sales and not you...but you'll get used to it...as a plus...the breakroom at my best buy was quite nice....65" pioneer projection tv with a yamaha receiver and JBL studio towers.

6. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    I had a friend who worked there for a while. As mentioned above.....stock up on cables. I was amazed when I would hear from my friends that a $40 AR or monster cable would be like $9 as an employee. Other than that......they pretty much hated working there in the long run. Frequently they would be moved from department to department just to shake things up in areas where they were not doing well. My friend was the most knowledgable about home theater and started in that area. he was very successful there, but as a whole the depatment was not (being in competition with the other departments in the store). So someone had the bright idea to move him into another area like appliances in hopes his success in "sales" would help out another hurting area, yet this left the home theater area without anyone who really knew what they were talking about. Stupid decision in my opinion....but, then again....that is why he ultimately quit. Of course...I am sure this is true for his one store and the management there....and not representative of the entire chain. But still.......

7. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

I worked at Best Buy from November of 2001 until June of this year. I would have to say that I enjoyed working with most of the people there. I made some great friends that I still keep in touch with. However, the pressure to sale service plans was very high in my store (I assume it is in all Best Buy stores). I got the impression that selling the product itself was secondary to selling the service agreement and additional accessories. For example, managers would really complain if an associate sold an HDTV without a service plan, even though the TV made the company a fair amount of money. On top of this, we had to promote MSN Internet, Netflix, and Monster cable very heavily. I personally think that a service plan is a good buy on some items, but you should never be asked to force it down someones throat. As for the discount, it allowed me to get a very nice sound system setup (JBL Studios all around). Like someone above said, the discount is cost plus 5% on most items. I decided to quit in June because I just dreaded going into work. It was no longer fun for me. I made good money there but I can usually get buy on very little money, so I decided the stress the job was causing me wasn't worth it. My college years are too precious to waste! [​IMG] But that is just my take on my time there. Hope this helps!

8. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    This is the weirdest thing. I am also starting at Best Buy, 2 weeks from today actually. I'm going there after working 3 and a half years at Target. It was great at first but lately, it's been no fun. Our manager is tactless, there are so many new people who I do not know, and so many people, my nearest and dearest associates, including the woman who hired me, left for greener pastures. I'm sure, after working at the Target electronics department, working in the Best Buy media department will be a breeze. I already know how to cashier and deal with idiot customers and how to explain "those black bars." [​IMG]