some questions by a HT newbie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Nelson, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Brian Nelson

Brian Nelson Auditioning

Hello all. Well, I've been reading through a lot of posts as I'm looking to put together my first home theater system. I think I have finally settled on the following:

Polk RT25i pair for front L/R
    Polk CS145i for ther center
    Polk R10 for surrounds
    Pioneer VSX-D811S as the receiver

I am going to be setting up the system in the living room of my apartment (which is a pretty decent size, but not huge).

1.)Now I was wondering, with this setup, is it adequate without a sub (for a little while until I get the money for a decent one) or how would the Sony SA-WM40 or DLP 10" subwoofer work for this setup?

2.) Also, what advantage do speaker stands provide? Is it worth getting some? Or what should I use to place the front and rear speakers on?

Thanks for any help!!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the forum Brian.

Apartment audio setups are interesting because a 1/2 decent sub will disturb the neighbours, as many have posted in the past. Under normal circumstances, I would recommend a 12" sub to fill a room of that kind of size but it may also draw complaints so you have to consider that. The 10" will add some bass, but not the chest pounding bass that6 a 12" or 15" would.

Speaker stands are recommended for bookshelf speakers because they riase the speakers high enough to have the tweeters point close to ear level when seated. What are the size of your Polk speakers and how are you planning to handle the placement of the surround speakers?

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

welcome to htf!

nice setup...i think you'll be very happy.

1. a sub is not an immediate necessity. yes, it's helpful for the bottom end, but if you live in an apt (like i do) then i think you can do without until you're ready. the sony sub is pretty well regarded, but i've never tried it myself.

2. if you have "short" speakers, then stands are a must. as neil already stated, getting those tweeters to ear level is critical. i added stands to my system and feel it had the most significant improvement of any tweak i've tried. it truly "opened" them up, decreated "boominess", etc. you can really use just about anything to put your speakers on...i've used milk crates, photo-copy paper boxes, small tables, etc. using stands (as i do now) is probably best - it decreases the amount of refractions (sound "bouncing" off the stand surface) you may encounter.