Some questions about the Paradigm Reference line...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Feb 3, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

After reading through the glowing reviews of these speakers, I have been considering checking these out even though I have not heard them. The problem is that I just bought 4 Mini Monitors, a CC-370, and I have 2 Monitor 11's waiting to be picked up by me in Canada. But the store I go to has a really cool policy that within a year of your purchase you can exchange the Paradigm speakers you bought and put the money they cost towards another set of Paradigm speakers. So I'm thinking of jumping to the Reference line. I don't even have my Monitor 11's and I'm already thinking about upgrading, you bastards! [​IMG]
    My questions are these:
    What would be a comparable set up to what I just bought and how much would it cost? I want tower speakers for the mains, I don't like to use a sub when listening to music.
    I have heard you need a lot of power to run these speakers, especially the Studio 100s. I have a crap receiver, a Sony STR-DE725 receiver, and when I upgrade my receiver later on, at best it will be an Onkyo 898. Will these speakers be wasted on me because of my cheap receiver? Will even the Onkyo 898 do them justice?
    What's the difference in the sound? I know that's tough to describe.
    Would this upgrade be worth it?
    Do they come in black?
    Thanks!
    James
    ps some prices in Canadaian funds would be nice so I could see how much I would be paying in US funds.

2. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

I’ll offer my opinion. As you may or may not know, Paradigm offers 5 different options for speakers in the reference line. The 20s, 40s, 60s, 80s and 100s. If you want floor standing speakers, this leaves out the 20s and 40s. IMHO, I do not like the 80s, as they use a different driver size than the rest of the line. This allows the 80s to have a little more extension, but at the expense of mis-matched with the rest of the line. If you are using the speakers for HT and prefer timber matched speakers, the 80s don’t match the Studio CC (again IMO). The 100s are a great speaker but as you are aware, these speakers are power hungry to get their potential.
    For floor standing speakers, I would recommend getting the 60s with the Servo15 sub. Personally I preferred the 40s, and I didn’t mind bookshelf speakers. The cost of the 40s and 60s are the same when you include the cost of the stand for the 40s, so it becomes a choice of which speaker you prefer. The cost of the 60s with the servo15 will be compribable to the 100s, but will give you better bass extension. Personnaly, I went with the Studio 40s/SVS20-39PC combination. The 40s and 60s will extend nicely, but a whole world opens up with a quality sub. If you compliment you main with a good sub, you will take a lot of strain away from your receiver.
    As for driving the speakers, I’m just using a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver. This is a 100wpc receiver and does the job admirably. These speakers are revealing, so they will grow with your system. The reference line does sound better with better amplification. I did addition the monitor line when looking for my speakers, and I found that the Studio (reference) line had a smoother, more controlled sound than the monitor line. I found the difference very noticable with music playback, and everything was running off of the same receiver (I had the dealer hook everything up to the Yamaha RX-V1000).
    Adding the veneer to the speakers will add about $200/pair and $400 for the servo15. I’m not sure how much the veneer is for the 100s. The veneer is the wood side panels. I think they give the speakers a totally different look and make the speakers look as good as they sound. Standard finish is black laminate (you’ll even save a few dollars going this route).
    When I bought my 40s last year I paid about $1000/pr with the veneer and $200/pr for the Premier stands (funds in Cdn dollars before our 15% tax). I think I got a great deal. At the time I could of got the 60s with the veneer for about $1300.
    I’ve gone on enough … best advice is to make sure you can listen to the line of speakers on a comparable receiver to yours (at least not hook up to separates) and pick the speaker that sounds best to you. Bring lots and lots of CDs [​IMG] Make sure the dealer carries the finish you want if you plan on making the purchase on your first visit (if making the trip to Canada).
    Cheers!
    Mass

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Last I checked Canadian MSRP on Paradigm Reference speakers were (again these are CDN funds):

StudioCC- $600

Studio20- $800

Studio40- $1100

Studio60- $1400

Studio100- $2400

So to match what you have listed above (4x20, 2x100, 1xCC) would be $4600. Shouldn't be hard to get 25% off that. If you try really hard 30% is said to be doable.

So I would figure at the most $3500 plus taxes. At the lowest around $3200 plus taxes.

If it was me, I'd be doing 4x20, 2x40, 1xCC and a Servo15. You can figure that after discount you could get a Servo 15 for around $1325 CDN.

4. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Massimo and Dustin...
    Thank you very much for the wealth of information you have provided! You guys told me what I was looking for, I really appreciate it. I think what I will have to do is sit down with the salesman and figure out what the difference I would have to pay and whether it would be worth it for me. The only problem is I kind of have my heart set on the Studio 100's, but I really don't think I'll get much out of them with my current or even future set up. I just know I'll be using these speakers for years, like 10 or more, so I just want to be happy with my purchase.
    james

5. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

hi james
    i think youre doing the right thing, the studio line is awsome!
    i had the 11's auditioned vs the 60's, and they lost without a chance... the sound of the 11's is LOUD, and dynamic, but when compared carfully to the studios, one sees what a good speaker is made of!...
    the studios are king of smooth. detailed, clear, excellent low bass, flat mids, and crisp highs, never straining your ears, sweet sound.(thats the best i can do describing it in words...)
    after 2-3 months with the 60's, i feel they lack some mid range. theres sort of emptiness there. i guess i'll audition the 100's soon enough, and get a power amp if i do.
    [​IMG]

6. FrankB

FrankB Agent

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

If you are going to use this system for HT, and price is a limitation, then by all means get either the 40's or the 60's, and a good subwoofer. I usually do not recommend a flagship tower when one is going to buy a good sub, unless of course price is no object. Consider also the PW2200 sub. Although it is not in the Reference line, IMO it is very equal to the Servo-15. And there are plenty of good subs outside the Paradigm line as well (e.g. SVS). Also for side surrounds I *highly* recommend the Studio ADP dipoles. For rears, a pair of your mini-monitors will do just fine if you do not want to trade them in for a pair of 20's just yet.

8. james e m

james e m Second Unit

So you guys think if I can get the 100's, I would be okay using a receiver rated a 100 watts per channel, maybe in the future I could get a beefier amp to power the 100's? I'm going to see how much more money it would cost to jump up to an all Reference line.

james

9. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

James, I just looked at your first post and I had that same Sony receiver prior to picking up my Denon 3801. I can tell you that the 100w rating on that receiver is overinflated. My Denon has virtually the same rating (105W actually) but has MUCH more power. Conventional wisdom is that you need a beefy amp for the 100's. Assuming this is true, that receiver of yours would have to be a short term stop-gap until you can afford something better. Otherwise, you might still consider getting the 40's or 60's.

10. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

11. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

There are a lot of people who go for the 40s but believe me the 60s are much more powerful speakers.

12. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Howard,

What do you mean by "more powerful"? How would you quantify that?

Cheers,

Mal

13. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Hello James,

Have you been to overture audio in Ann Arbor and listened to the vandersteen 1c or 2c. I think if you like the paradigm and want a floor standing speaker you will also enjoy the vandersteen's. It worth a listen just to give you another option.

Jeff

14. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

I went with the studio 40 in rosenut w/ premier stands, PW2200, and studio CC powered by denon 3300...

Can't wait until the stands come to wire up the 40's!