some question on my first HT set up NHT ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob kola, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Jacob kola

Jacob kola Auditioning

hello.. first id like to say this is a great forum with a lot of information, i did try the search feature but seems like these speakers are not to popular. for my first HT set up i have decided on the following
    denon 2802 599 from 6th ave (authorized dealer)
    denon dvd900 279 from 6th ave
    and now im thinking about speakers , for the front and rears i was looking at NHT sb2 299 a pair also front 6th ave, the fronts i thinking of using a sc1 also from NHT for 249 . what do you think of these products and will i be satisfied in terms of clarity and depth? Is NHT a reputable company or should i be looking elsewhere?
    im also looking for a USED SVS sub , im looking for a 2039pc plus is that would be possible to find ( anybody ?)
    please critique my set.
    what im looking for im my HT is a in the middle of the action feeling.. im also going to be using a gateway 42 inch plasma ( not the best plasma but for the money i paid i took it ) also into gaming (xbox)
    thanks for reading and i appreciate any feedback [​IMG]

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

NHT is one of the better companies out there. Nothing they make could be called 'so-so', but speakers should be listened to before being purchased, just to be sure. I know they're good looking speakers!

I use the older Super series and feel that I don't need anything more.

SVS is a fine choice, but used PCi's are rare and you need to be quick and lucky to get one. Maybe b-stock?

Seen onecall.com?

3. Jacob kola

Jacob kola Auditioning

thanks.. so NHT is a good way to go.. im glad to hear that.. being that there is sooooo many brands i feel like im picking a needle in a hay stack.. i looked and spoke with someone at svs and seems like you only save 70 dollars or so from a brand new 20 39 plus i think im just going to go and get a new one .. but then i started to look and it seems as they accept discount codes.. im thinking ill wait till Christmas or so and try to save , do you see this happening.. does SVS give discounts ? as for the nht do you think they are power hungry? do they need more then 80 watts or so.. should i be looking into the 3802 with 110 watts a channel to put me in the middle of the action with clarity and depth?
    thanks for your input.. believe me its helping me a LOT

happy thanksgiving BTW

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Jacob, first of all you have great taste (Denon, SVS, and Nht are all brands I highly recommend). I use Nht SuperZeroes for the LCR (Northcreek mod X-overs, this was a major improvement imho) and a home built Blueprint 1201 (older model and designed my sub based on the SVS models) for my computer and this just is a phenomenal presentation of sound (it now is making me upgrade the main system to compensate) and for a while I was using a Denon 2400 to power them. The Nhts might need more power if your room is large (you didn't state the size) but if the Denon has pre-outs this should not present a problem as you can power if more is necessary later. There might be speakers you can find used (if your lucky) that might can beat it at this price but if you can stretch your budget some I'd recommend the Ascends instead (a friend of mine has a set and they are phenominal).

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have an HK AVR110, and even with 40 wpc I'm OK, as long as I don't go ape$#!+...Good levels in a big room. Sub is an SVS driver in an 85l vented cabinet. $170 plus my labor.

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Do a search for SVS in the "hardware for sale/trade" forum here. You might find someone that listed one for sale but didn't get a buyer.

7. Jacob kola

Jacob kola Auditioning

thanks guys for the input. I went with the Denon 2802 and the nht sb2 s and the nht sc1 center.. the tv is coming int monday and hopefully ill get it set up monday night [​IMG] then in the near future the svs 20 39 pc plus .. this i cant wait to try out... all the positive feedback i see on the board makes me want it more and more after that ill look into a dvd player maybe the Denon dvd 1600 ( if anyone has one to sell do chime in ) thanks again.. ill post my imressions when i get the system up [​IMG]