Some pictures of my Tempest enclosure progress...almost finished

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mattak, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Some pictures from earlier. Both ends are now screwed on as well as the legs. I might have gone overboard with screw placement (every 4 inches)...I'll have to pick up another box of 100 at the rate I'm using them [​IMG]

I took the initiative of dado'ing the inner walls and center brace so the braces slid right in with no ability to slip out of place. Everything fit together perfectly the first time, I was rather happy about that [​IMG]. This thing is huge and a beast to lift, and I haven't got the sub or amp installed yet[​IMG]

Sub pictures

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Matt,

It looks like you did a great job on the dado work for the braces. I'm sure that cabinet won't go anywhere when you are finished. In the pictures, I noticed discarded Mountain Dew and Coke cans. Aside from the MDF, the beverages are the most important part of a box construction.

Enjoy !! [​IMG]

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

How thick is your material? I have plans for a sub based on the Stryke AV12 in a 2 cubic foot vented box, and I am planning double-layered 3/4" MDF for the exterior walls and two shelf braces.

4. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

3/4" MDF all around. I think I may have gone overboard with the screws...every 4" at the edges and to the braces [​IMG]

It goes low, very low [​IMG] It's a little too late to play it to any extent right now, I'll have to test it out more tomorrow [​IMG] Here are a few more pictures of the pretty much finished product.

Sub pictures

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Is that the Adire Alignment? Currently I am completing my EBS alginment and am waiting for the ports. Glad to hear it goes low because that was my goal. Nice router and dado work. Building a sub is harder than it looks.

6. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

It's a cross between the SBB4 and Adire Alignment (24"x24"x33.5").

7. darren_s

darren_s Agent

looks good, I just got done filling in screw holes on my EBS shiva box and its the hardest part of whole project next time no screws for me, took 3 coats of wood filler to get it ready for finish.

8. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Mattak, did you take your pictures off? They aren't working for me and I wanted to see the finished box...

9. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

10. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Nice work. I know this probably sounds stupid...but what did you use to trace a circle big enough for that driver. My creativity is a little lacking at the moment.

Rick

11. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

if you have olympic weights, a 35lb weight is exactly 14" diameter, i used that to cut the hole for a tempest, then i used a jigsaw to cut it out.

12. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

The easiest way to trace a circle is with a compass. Cheap, in the school supplies section.

13. DaveKahler

DaveKahler Stunt Coordinator

If your compass cannot go big enough, put a nail in at the center of the circle, tie or glue a string to it, put a pencil at the radius point, and tie the other end of the string to the pencil. Trace circle.

14. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

I should trust myself more...all things that I thought might work, but didn't want to spend hours tracing a stupid circle [​IMG]