Some Philips DSR6000 DirectTivo questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

OK Looking at the DSR6000 and the instructions and I have some Questions (it's not installed yet).
    In the box there is a set of what I assume are IR blasters that I would guess plug into the jack marked "IR" on the back of the unit. The instructions don't even acknowledge that they exist. Maybe they were added after printing? Anyway I know what IR blasters do but how would they be used with this unit? I would love to hear that they could blast instructions to the VCR to program recording of locals (Can't get locals on DTV in my location-will be using OTA antenna) that would take some of the sting out of not being able to Tivo the locals.
    Also had a question on the updates besides enabling the second tuner. The instructions only seem to go into what was offered when they were printed as they don't even talk much about the 2nd tuner. What new features will the unit have when it updates? I thought I had read posts about the Advanced Program Guide being able to import and display local TV listings for "Lifeline" cable and OTA users but am finding out I might have misread.
    Any input appreciated,
    Thanks
    ------------------
    Luke

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Bump- A little help [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Luke

3. William Bailey

I'm sure the IR blasters are only for cable boxes. The 2nd tuner has just recently been activated with a new software upgrade that I believe has new features. You can find a lot of info about TiVo here... http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgitivo/Ultimate.cgi

4. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

The IR blaster feature is probably to control a slave VCR; there's a "save to VCR feature" which, I suppose, will turn your VCR on to record whatever's on Tivo. I've never tried it - when I want to keep a program I just play it back from Tivo to SVHS and it works fine.
    I do get the locals through DirecTV, and they do show up in the program guide. If you're stuck with OTA I suppoae you might try listing the local stations from a location in your time zone as "stations you receive." That might let you display the network listings in the guide, but remember - the DirecTivo only works with digital signals from DirecTV, so it won't record them.
    The update is absolutely terrific because you can record 2 programs on different channels at the same time; you can also watch 1 channel while recording another, or playback a program while recording 2 others.
    There's a link at www.tivo.com for an upgrade manual; there's also a good discussion group at the AVS forum.

5. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I also have a question or two about the Phillips DSR6000. I am thinking about getting one but not using the Tivo functions right away. I am wondering if this Directv receiver will work as any other receiver? I want the AC-3 output which I don't currently have on my older Sony receiver.
    Also can these units hard drives be easily upgraded for a higher recording capacity?
    Thanks,
    Glenn

6. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Glenn,
    My son-in-law hacked a larger drive into his free standing 30 hr Philips TiVo, so it should be possible to do the same with this unit, I would think.
    As to your other question, I am not sure. It was always my understanding that a free standing TiVo could be used just as a straight recording device without the activation of its special subscription based features, so it seems to me that this combo TiVo ought to be able to be used as a straight receiver (that records) , if you don't sign up for a TiVo subscription. But with the DirecTiVo, you have to call DirecTV in order to activate the receiver and this seems to have automatically signed me up as a TiVo subscriber when I called. On the other hand, I did not ask them not to sign me up, so perhaps that is a possibility. If you buy the 6000R at the special $99 price currently being offered by CC, however, you have to sign an agreement to activate the TiVo service within 3 months or your credit card will be charged an additional $200.
    Hope that helps,
    Deborah
    ------------------

7. DeborahK

Glenn,
    One other thing to know about the Philips 6000: It does not let you choose the recording quality the way a free standing TiVo unit does. It took me a week to figure this out -- I kept looking for the recording quality option in the menues and couldn't find it. It finally occured to me that not giving the user this option was part of the design, i.e. since it wants to eliminate added compression to the satellite picture by building the function into the DTV receiver, whatever compression is used by a DTV station is the same compression at which any show on that station is recorded. The 6000 claims "up to 35 hours" of recording, depending on the station. I have no idea how close one can come to this amount of recording time with what combination of stations and programming, but if you can get any where near this amount with average use, you might not need to put a bigger drive in there.
    Just a thought,
    Deborah
    ------------------

8. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

DeborahK, the recording of upto 35 hours is approx. Depending on the channel a programme was recorded from, says how much space it will use up. HBO/Showtime are transmitted at a higher bitrate, where as QVC/CNN are transmitted at lower bitrate. So you might be able to recorded 30 hours of HBO and 45 of QVC.
    Make sense?

9. DeborahK

James,
    I totally understand, but I have no idea what the "real" parameters are. I suspect that I might only get about 6 hours of HBO (if I even had HBO) and maybe 15 of CNN -- if that.
    Mostly I am recording 1 hour network shows from my locals and I find that when I have about 8 1/2 hours recorded and waiting in my Now Playing list, the system begins to mark things for possible deletion. Now maybe this is done automatically -- even if room is not yet needed -- but I am wondering if there is any station on which I would get close 35 hours of recording,considering that all the recording are in what appears to be perfect broadcast quality, whatever that entails for the station being recorded. This is not a complaint -- the quality is amazing and it is one of the things I really like about the system. But I am curious.
    Deborah
    ------------------

10. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Stunt Coordinator

Deborah,
    You could probably record about 35 hours of talk shows, cartoons, etc. that don't have a lot of movement or changing backgrounds.
    As for it marking things as possible deletion, it also looks at what's scheduled to be recorded and how long it is marked to keep in determining space. If you have a lot of upcoming shows marked Save Until I Delete, you will see a lot of the yellow circles.
    All the units are fairly easy to add more storage space to, if you're comfortable working inside computers and don't mind instantly voiding your warranty. Check out the AVS TiVo Forum for more info.
    Any units that shipped with the 2.0 software (of which the DirecTiVo was the first) will require the TiVo service to do anything other than pausing live tv. If you don't have the service you won't be able to do any recording.
    [Edited last by Scott Stevens on October 16, 2001 at 01:27 PM]

11. DeborahK

Scott,
    That is a lot of good information. Judging by what you say and the way my DirecTiVo is acting, I am going to assume I only have about 8-10 hours or so of space for recording hour long dramas, if I were not to delete anything. It's not really a problem as I don't need to keep most things more that a couple of days anyhow. But if I should be away for a week or two and wanting to record everything I normally watch it could get dicey.
    I am actually surprised by what a better experience it is to watch a TiVo recording of a show as opposed to watching a taped one. I would never have thought that this would be the thing about the device that would really thrill me, but it is. Being able to watch a recorded show that is virtually identical to the broadcast of said show really makes the time shifting experience something complettely other than what it was with tape.
    Gee, I have had this thing only a week and I am a total convert. [​IMG]
    Deborah
    ------------------

12. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

Unless one of your drives is faulty, I can promise you that you have well in excess of 8-10 hours.
    I've had one of my Tivos for a year or so now (but the DirecTivo for just a week) and one thing I can tell you is that it will mark things for deletion even if you have no upcoming shows to record. By default, it will put the yellow "less than 24 hours remaining" circle up after a day, and the exclamation point ("will be deleted when space is needed") a day after that.
    You can check this by just setting the deletion date forwards a couple of days; it will warn you if there's genuinely not enough space. Most of the time you'll see no warning.
    I typically keep my Tivos running at pretty much full capacity and I have PAGES of shows and movies to watch at any given time [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Dave Smith
    http://home.austin.rr.com/beowulf99

13. DeborahK

Dave, thanks for the info. Since those of us with DirecTiVos can't change the recording quality and since the recording quality we get seems to be "best," I really was not sure how much space I had. So, this is encouraging to know.
    Deborah
    ------------------

14. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

You should be able to get 30 hrs without having to worry about deletion at all (more than that I'd start to use the "save longer" command). Also, there's really no need to go in and extend the save time of the yellow dot or "!" "expired shows"; they never get deleted until it is absolutely full of shows you specifically requested (as opposed to the "Tivo" icon suggestions), and needs the space to record one of your shows. I only bother to extend for shows I absolutely want to preserve, and when the machine is near full. I have "!" shows that have sat around for months that I haven't gotten to yet.
    One way to gauge free space is to never delete suggestions. Left to its own devices it will fill up all available space with suggestions (then deletes them first to record your shows). Once you see suggestions start disappearing you can total up the time of all the shows and get a good idea of capacity.

15. DeborahK

Stephen,
    Thanks for the helpful information on show capacity for DirecTiVo and the suggestions on how to guage ultimate disk space. One of the things that was making me nervous was the fact that I thought the drive had deleted a movie (one TiVo had put there, not one I had chosen) when I only had about 5 hours worth of stuff saved and waiting to be watched. This was in the first couple of days of my using the device, however, and I now think it is probable that I was the one who deleted the film, not TiVo. I also turned off the suggestions function pretty quickly as I was not a bit interested in anything it was picking for me. I am way too eclectic and choosey for any sort of software to guage what will interest me and I was annoyed by having to delete all this stuff. Maybe I should turn it back on and just see what happens, if only as a way to see just how much stuff I can cram on there.
    Deborah

16. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

17. DeborahK

Joel,
    Thanks for the tip -- I will check this out. Now that I have had this thing almost two whole weeks, I am beginning to poke around in those sub menues and lists. I noticed that the unit is making a phone call just about everyday even tho' the upgrade information said that it would now be downloading the guides and such directly from the satellite. Anyone know what the daily phone calls are for? Perhaps they are DirecTV call and not TiVo calls? Just curious ...
    Deborah

18. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Stunt Coordinator

19. DeborahK

Maybe I should give suggestions another try. But it was recording things for me so far off the mark that it was laughable. Truth to tell, I was also feeling a little overwhelmed by the barrage of choices, menues, and options and thought I would turn a few things off until I got a grip. Knowing now that I have a lot more recording room than I previously thought I had makes me feel more willing to give some of these things a try.
    The one thing I am pretty annoyed with is something I have long been annoyed with (and is not TiVos fault) and that is the crummy state of the on-line guide, which seem to me to be woefully inaccurate or non informative way too much of the time. If they can put men on the moon why can't they device some sort of programming guide system that can be updated with accurate information in a timely fashion? I know this is complex -- especially with all the late breaking news these days -- and that the programming information comes directly from the networks, etc. but I am tired of pre-empted shows and incorrect episode listing, to say nothing of non information. Is it really that hard for a network to let us know who is going to be on Charlie Rose on a given day or to actually get right which episode of Mad TV is the one that they are going to show at 3 a.m.?
    Sorry for the rant -- not a world shattering problem but just one of those things that gets to me periodically.
    Deborah