What's new

Some opinions on DVD-A titles please (1 Viewer)

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Well after the great praise that the Chicago II album has gotten, I will order it shortly.
I was going to combine to save on shipping charges.

Tell me how you feel about these other titles sonically and in terms of the Multichannel track, improvement over the redbook cd, etc.

Doobie Brothers-Captain and Me
Hootie and the Blowfish-Cracked Rear View
Lynyrd Skynyrd-Then and Now

Also, which is better of the two Eagles discs out now?
'Preciate it.

Ok Chris,I'm going to assume you are talking about 5.1 dvd audio & I'll give you my take on the disks you're asking about.
1st if all, Eliiot Schieiner is one of the best in mixing into 5.1. The Doobie Bros & both Eagles are projects he has worked on (although Hell Freezes Over is not a hi rez dvd audio but just a dts mix - still sounds good).
Hootie & The Blowfish I wanted to get but I read a couple of unflattering reviews about it.
Last & definitely least, Silverline dvd audio products are regarded as the worst in this category. There are some good Siverlines that I know of but Lynyrd Skynyrd is not one of them.
Happy listening.

cwhite

Second Unit
I would definitely recommend the Doobie Brotehrs "The Captain and Me" solely for the songs "Long Train Runnin'" and "South City Midnight Lady". But it is a great sounding DVD-A and I have only listened to the 5.1 mix via DVD-Video a few times.. The 2-channel high resolution audio is top quality.

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
Chris if you are a Skynyrd fan than get the Disc. It sounds better than the CD by far. Also take a look at .38 special - live at sturgis, I got both of those discs and really appreciate them. They may not sonically be the greatest DVD-Audio, but if its the right price, go ahead.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Are there any review sites other than Hifidelityreview that include DVD-A?
I can't seem to find any.

And yes, you are absolutely right about the Hell Freezes Over being a DTS disc. My mistake. However, I have noticed only a minimal improvement in sound with my setup when playing the DVD video side of the disc (DD, DTS) as opposed to the DVD-A side. Anybody else noticed this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks