Some of your nOrh comparisons....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonnyD, Sep 9, 2001.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Jun 12, 1999
    I am considering a purchase of some nOrh speakers but before I do, I'd like some of your nOrh owners to tell me what yours replaced and why...
    I have a set of the old JBL L100's and have tried Monitor Audio, Energy and Magnepan but still haven't beat out the old JBL's.
    I really am enthused by the design of the nOrh and would hope they would be at least equal to the old L's.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    BTW, what is the lead time of nOrh?
  2. Ben Reierson

Ben Reierson Extra

Oct 3, 1999
    I replaced my Energy Take 5 set with 5 nOrh 4.0s. They easily beat the Energies, and I think you could be really happy with them, as long as you have a good sub.
    Depending on your budget though, you might want to look at the new SM6.9s (synthetic marble). They are getting rave reviews from all the nOrh enthusiasts. Apparently they are amazing for music, and actually put out a lot of bass. Most people seem to recommend the 6.9s if you listen to a lot of music, but say the 5 4.0s for home theater remains hard to beat. One reason for this is it tends to help if you have 3 of the same speakers across the front.
  3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Dec 18, 2000
    1. The lead time on the 4.0s is anywhere from 1 week to 2 months. It really depends upon what color you want and what material. For example, a pair of black SM 6.9s will likely take a month or two to arrive. A pair of green 4.0s may take a week.
    2. The JBLs are one of the better older speakers. You will most certainly notice a difference between them and the 4.0s. Try listening to the Dynaudio Contour 1.3 if you can. That will give you a ballpark as to what the 4.0s sound like. If you think they sound better then the JBLs you currently have, get the 4.0s. If you think it could go either way, get them. If you think the JBLs are better then don't get them.
    For myself, the nOrhs replaced:
    AR 206HO
    KLH 9912
    Wharfedale Valdus 500