What's new

Some of the best DVD commentaries are... (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The 2 minute commentary from Trey Parker & Matt Stone on the

Kids in the Hall: Same Guys New Dresses DVD

and the MOST IRRITATING DVD COMMENTARY goes to:
Disney's The Kid

Spencer is awful awful on the commentary(I know he's just a kid but, geez)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Well, to echo what others have already said:

1. Cannibal the Musical is probably my all time favorite, hands down!

and other very good ones....

Bruce Campbell on The Evil Dead
Campbell, Raimi, Nicotero on The Evil Dead II
Carpenter + Russel on both The Thing and Big Trouble...
Fincher, Norton, Pitt on Fight Club
Terry Gilliam (track 1) and Dr. Thompson (track 3) from Fear and Loathing Criterion are both excellent.

and for me, probably the funniest opening line for a audio commentary is David Spade on the Joe Dirt disc

It opens with the Columbia studio logo and Spade says something like "Yeah, we used to date, but.....we broke up"

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2 (awesome)
Army of Darkness
Armaggedon (Criterion)
Citize Kane
FOTR: Extended
Fight Club
Seven Samurai

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
and for me, probably the funniest opening line for a audio commentary is David Spade on the Joe Dirt disc
Matt, that may the funniest to you,
but I think alot of people will agree that the opeing of the commentary to UHF
which is when, the Orion logo appears and the logo music plays and Weird Al says..."Orion...Orion...is bankrupt now!"

CLASSIC!!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I do like 'em funny, like the Kevin Smith commentaries, but I entered in to laserdisc with stuff like The Graduate Criterion commentary, more like an essay. Roger Ebert's commentaries are like that (and I wish he would do more!)

Most of my favorites have been mentioned, but I will recommend something a bit unusual. I'm a fan of Jodie Foster's Little Man Tate and when I listened to the commentary, I found Foster to be very thoughtful and eloquent about her work. It's just her, and it can be a little dry, but if you're into acting or the process of actors, by all means listen to a Jodie Foster commentary.

Oh, and if you're a Monkees fan, you might like my audio commentary for their film Head:D
http://www.dvdtracks.com/track/track.php?track=23

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric Schnabel
I may be repeating...but Frank Oz does some of my favorite commentaries...especially Little Shop of Horrors.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Some of my favorites-

P.T. Anderson (solo) for BOOGIE NIGHTS- pulls no punches
Kurt Russell and John Carpenter for THE THING- they
enjoy doing the track and it's informative as well
Peter Jackson and the writers for FELLOWSHIP EE- lots
of information
The cast audio for FELLOWSHIP- good time
Danny De Vito for WAR OF THE ROSES- he is a good host
Fincher, Pitt and Freeman for SE7EN- toward the end
of the movie Fincher tells what happened after the
first test screening. Priceless.
The group commentary for THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
Criterion Edition- Hopkins has fun with it

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Since I haven't seen it mentioned so far, I wanted to add my vote for the Pleasantville commentary by Gary Ross. It was one of the first commentaries I had ever listened to, and it made a big impact on me. It remains one of my favorites to this day. Definitely recommended!

Also enjoyed the commentary on American Beauty, as it helped me to notice several little details I had missed, and also helped me to appreciate some of the more difficult shots.

Enjoy!

- Bob P.

Nathan A

Second Unit
i'll try to mention some i didn't see in other people's lists:

Almost Famous: Untitled- cameron crowe gets personal alongside his mother in one of my favorite commentaries.

Die Hard (1) and Die Hard With A Vengeance- i guess i just like director John McTiernan's sense of humor. it's kind of dry like mine, although the writer kind of bogs down the WAV track. he doesn't at all ruin it, and he does say some interesting things, but he was just kind of annoying. oh, and McTiernan's closing words on Die Hard (1) equates to the best commentary closing ever.

Masters of the Universe- director Gary Goddard surprised the hell out of me by giving one of the most entertaining commentaries i've heard. it's like he talks about the movie now, 15 years later, with as much passion as he had when he was making it. plus it's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE.

and i'll back up what others have said about these:

True Romance- quentin tarantino decided to talk about himself and not the movie for the first, i dunno, 30 minutes or so, but even still i enjoyed the entire track.

Spinal Tap- the in character commentary on the MGM disc is by far the funniest commentary ever. the actors' commentary on the criterion disc is also great, but i didn't much care for the director/producer commentary. it was ok, but i doubt i'll ever listen again.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
My favorites have been listed, but I'll add Dead Again- an insightful and engaging commentary (I find most commentaries dull) for a wonderful, elegant film.

Dream Theater: Scenes From New Yok (obviously only of interest to fans of the band).

5 episodes of Babylon 5.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
My favorite thus far, & it edges out both Evil Deads by just a hair, is the cast & producer track on Re-Animator. What I love is that they obviously had loads of fun making the movie! If you have any interest in DVD commentaries then you must listen to this one, even if you don't like the film.

Others I like:

Conan the Barbarian - Milius & Ah-Nuld claim the gratuitous violence isn't really gratuitous...
RoboCop (Criterion)
Fight Club - All 4
Godfather Series
Boogie Nights - Cast & Director
Citizen Kane
The Evil Deads
Brazil (Crit)
Life Of Brian (Crit)

Any with Kevin Smith & Jason Mewes

...and of course...

Fellowship of the Ring - Jackson, Boyens, Walsh

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Die Hard (1) and Die Hard With A Vengeance- i guess i just like director John McTiernan's sense of humor. it's kind of dry like mine, although the writer kind of bogs down the WAV track. he doesn't at all ruin it, and he does say some interesting things, but he was just kind of annoying.
Funny - I liked the writer's comments best in that track. McTiernan's okay, and the two Die Hard commentaries are his best. Listen to Thomas Crown Affair and Hunt For Red October and you may change your positive impression of his commentaries, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks