Some Of My DVD's Have Ridges On The Cover From Those Damn...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Jan 17, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Security stickers and title stickers. Each time I try to get them off, I always go to far into the plastic cover and make little ridges to get them off. Is there an easier way to do this, so not all my DVD's end up like this? Or is there a trick to get them off? Anyone know what I am talking about?

2. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I know exactly what you are talking about and it drives me nuts. If you find a better way, post it.

3. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I always slit the stickers down the seam of the case before I remove them. This way they each come off easily in 2 peices each rather than me digging my finger-nail under each of the corners and pulling the plastic out of shape.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

here's what I do... take a sharp knife (warning: be careful!!) and cut down the middle of the security on all 3 sides... peel off both sides and voila!
    [​IMG]

5. Tony_Faville

Has anybody bought pre-viewed DVD's from Blockbuster recently? These yahoo's are putting a Disc-Shield sticker on the face of the disc itself. It has blue printing that says "Poperty of Blockbuster" and has their big blue logo on it as well. Oh, and it includes two magnetic type strips on it.

You can get them off the disc even though they say removing them will damage the disc but you do run a chance warping the disc.

It really fries my butt because why do they do this when they know good and well they will be selling them eventually?

6. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Tony,
    I have also ran into that problem but only once and this was more then a month ago, and at only one location, where instead of having the dvds in the case on the shelves they got it from behind the counter and put it in the empty case. Maybe a mix up? Or maybe that is the way they do it at that store. Either way it is a pain in the butt.
    Anyone know a safe way to get them off? Mine just covers the very center circle and not any further onto the actual top of the dvd or picture. Thanks.
    -Eric

Oh and by the way thanks to all the people who suggested using a knife through the slit to cut the security labels off, never would have thought of it myself. Proof that college makes you less smart. [​IMG]

7. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Yeah, thanx guy's for the knife idea....Didn't think of that!! [​IMG]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes, I hate this. It is basically what happened when I tried to remove the plastic sticker (held down with crazy glue!!!) from the Shrek DVD. How stupid. Make a bloody sticker that can peel off. Is that asking for too much?

9. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Crack out the wd40.... Might work, and runs less of a risk of completly toasting your disk.... I've never tried it though, so don't come and blame me if you ruin a case or whatnot [​IMG] (now I have a project for the weekend, how many dvd cases can I ruin!)

10. Tony_Faville

Hey Eric...not the stickers in my area, they cover the ENTIRE face of the disc. And of course, they put them on very haphazardly. I picked up one disc that had the Blockbuster logo covering the title of the disc.
    [​IMG] Blockbuster[​IMG]

11. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    My local Hastings uses the disc-shields. I have seen double-sided discs from Blockbuster with a full shield covering one side of the disc (JFK). I was glad to see Hastings will cut the shield so it only covers the clear centermost ring of a double-sided disc.

12. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I took one of those center stickers off one of my DVD's once. Used Goo Gone to get the stickiness off. But I mustn't have gotten it all! The disc stuck INSIDE the DVD player - stuck tight to the spindle inside. My wife came home and put a disc in and it said "No Disc." We almost had it serviced before I asked "What did you do with the disc that I was watching last night?" She siad "What disc?" I looked inside and could see it stuck up in there.
    I had to take the player apart to get it out. The disc was all scratched on the bottom from my wife's disc spinning underneath it. Still plays though. [​IMG]
    Beware!