some newbie questions...please help!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zack_b, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Zack_b

Zack_b Extra

first i would like to ask the question everyone is tired of answering from what ive seen on the posts, but i cant seem to figure it out. when you watch a wide screen movie on dvd i belive if you hit pan and scan it will sometimes change the format to pit a normal tv, but cut the sides off correct? i hate the black bars on the wide screen versions. waht can i do about these?? also i know a lot of you dont like bose, me either really, but for rear surround on a budget what about the bose 161? its uniqe shape seems like it would help deliver great surround? anyone have these? anything better for the price? also last stupid question (for now) are my rear surround sattalites supposed to face each other or angle down from the corners? now they are mounted in the rear corners. thanks for taking the time to answer all my newbie questions. the answers will be greatly appreciated.

zack

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Explaining how widescreen works is a very long story that I won't go into here. Read this link at The Digital Bits for an explanation.
    As for your rears, try different positions, see what sounds good to you, using the recommendations in the article from our archives that I linked in your other thread.
    Bose speakers are generally considered to be very low quality considering the price paid. That's why we don't like them in general. For the same amount of money that a Bose speaker system costs, there are much better sounding and higher quality options.

3. Zack_b

Zack_b Extra

thanks for the link. it answered most of my questions. i dont mind looking for an answer if i can just be pushed in the right direction. after reading the link ive came to the same conclusion all of you have. The black bars are better!!!!!!just get used to it! i will hopefully soon be able to purchase my first widescreen. any suggestions? also with the bose speaker question i just wanted them for rears, not all around. im not that crazy[​IMG] and the only reason i considered the 161 model is because there dsign looked good for surround purposes. anyways thanks for all the great help.
    zack

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

REJOICE!!! We have converted another! Now if we could just convince the other majority of the general population! [​IMG]

6. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

7. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

8. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

just remember..that even when you get a widescreen tv, you will still have black bars probably on most DVDS (because of the Aspect Ratio)

since widescreen tvs are 1.85:1 (or 1.77:1 ?) and alot of DVDs are in that ratio like the Jurassic Park series(so no bars), but alot of DVDs are shot in 2.35:1 which youve probably seen your your regular tv as having much thicker bars at the top and bottom (ie the Matrix), but these bars are much smaller on a regular "Widescreen" set.

I hope i didnt confuse you more. Your on the right track though, because "Widescreen is Better!!!"

9. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

ohh yeah, and to try to answer your 2nd question: the position of the rears really depends on how you like them. I personally have my rears mounted in the upper corners of the back wall, since I cant really put them to the sides of the seating area (layout of room/chairs, etc.)
    the official design layout i believe is to have the rears to the left and right of the seating area, and slightly behind, and i think a little higher than ear level. But im not 100% sure of that layout, im probably wrong. Your best bet is to visit http://www.dolbydigital.com/ht/Guide...ater.0110.html and they have a little diagram that might help.
    but, depending on your layout, your receiver can usually be setup to accomodate. like in my receiver, i can set the height of my rears, distance from receiver, size, etc.
    Good luck, and again welcome to the forum and the world of HT!!! (theres no turning back!!)