What's new

Some New SACD titles (1 Viewer)

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Over in Germany, Sony revealed at the Popkomm show some new pop titles on the way (annouce in Europe but should be US bound as well). They are:
David Bowie (Heathen)
Korn (Untouchables)
Oasis (What's the Story) Morning Glory)
Sade (Lovers Live)
Complete story here:
PopKomm show

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Man, somebody finally decides to put a hard rock release on the SACD format and it has to be KORN? My LEAST favorite band of the genre. Who makes these decisions or is it determined by what label the artist is on. If I'm not mistaken, Korn is signed by Immortal records (a division of EPIC?) In a Utopian society, Tool would have been the first hard rock act on this format...end of story.

I will pick up the Sade though. I dig her although she hasn't graced my music collection as of yet.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Ooooh....definately looking forward to the Oasis disc. Standing on the Shoulder of Giants is out there as a SACD already, but I have no interest in that album...Heathen Chemistry is also slated to come out in a few weeks, but I don't really care about that either. Morning Glory though...would be nice to have. I always thought the CD has been lacking.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan,
I'm sure some people will appreciate a Korn SACD. Apparently Jerry will. ;) I won't, but that's just me. To each his own.
Emil,
Thanks for the information. I would buy the Oasis and Sade SACDs.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm still waiting for a nine inch nails sacd but i think trent has a hard on for the dvd-a format...at least that's what i gleaned from an interview once.

kevin t

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I knew Manowar was the first hard rock album released on SACD, but I was referring to more mainstream hard rock acts. I had a Manowar album in college....have no idea what happened to it.

Keith, I'm sure you are right. However, I'm beginning to think the improvement in sonics for hard rock/metal is probably less than for jazz, classical or even pop. I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but after listening to some of my jazz disks (Miles Davis, Brubeck) and even R&B (Keb Mo), I'm beginning to think that the more subtle music with greater nuances would show a higher fidelity improvement when listening to SACD. Not to say the Korn won't sound great, but I bet the differences between that and the redbook would be smaller than say "Kind of Blue".

Again, just rambling and totally IMO.

I also will most likely get the Oasis. Never picked that one up on Redbook, but got the follow up "Be Here Now" (bad decision).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, I understand your point and tend to agree with you. If nothing else, I feel the masters for many jazz recordings are much better than those for hard rock and metal recordings. Of course, there will be exceptions. While maybe not hardcore metal, I have found that the SACD of Joe Satriani Engines of Creation is significantly better than the CD. Engines of Creation is on the hard side, and the SACD is phenomenal.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
You are all welcome. I listed those titles because those were new ones that I have never heard of before on SACD. I will be all over the Oasis and SADE discs.

Jason_H

Actually, although it was announced, "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants" was never actually released on SACD

Keith

I agree with you on the "Engines of Creation" SACD. It is much improved over the redbook version. Another title I just picked up that sort of fits that genre is Thumb "3". They are influenced heavily by the Nine Inch Nails. But the surround aspect is very well used and shows that SACD can help all genres. And yes, I would love "Pretty Hate Machine" on SACD

NP: The Scorpions - Moments of Glory (SACD)

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Emil,

Any chance you could give us your thoughts on that Scorpions Moments Of Glory SACD? I want it, but I don't know if I want to spend $40 on it. Any chance you found it for less?

Thanks,
Jerry

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
The Scorpions disc is worth every penny. Cost me about $35 from Amazon.de (who for some reason are no longer selling it).

In a nutshell, this is one of my top 5 multi-channel discs )Have about 60 of them). I swear I have listened to it at least 25 times. The surroundis aggressive when it needs to be and amibient when called for.

From what I understand, it will be released in the US sometime in September. But I just could not wait. It is worth every penny imho.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Ahhhh, okay Emil, thanks for the info. I have seen it listed on a few sites, but never in stores. No great loss. Really hope Morning Glory makes it over to the States though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks