What's new

some movie reviewers baffle me (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It should be noted that there's a difference between "reviewers" and "critics." There's also a discipline known as "film theorist."

Anybody can be a "reviewer"—and who really cares what those talking-head yahoos on your local Channel Four say about a movie? Mr. Ebert, on the other hand, is a genuine critic. Andrew Sarris is a "real" critic, too—but he is also a film theorist, as was the late Pauline Kael.

On a personal note, I don't care for Westerns. Never have. But that doesn't stop me from appreciating such wonderful films as High Noon and Stagecoach.

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
No reviewer should "have" to "like" any genre in order to give a particular film a fair review. A film succeeds or fails according to its own merits. The reviewer's job is to articulate why it failed or succeeded.
I can appreciate what you are saying and probably your more professional critic can do it -- -but i can see how it easily would be a problem for someone who hates muscials to fairly appraise whether the movie was a success at its objective.

For example, i got a call from a friend last night who saw Chicago and hated it -- -but then she doesn't really like film musicals, and admits she was basis going in. i think it is the #2 movie of the year.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't care much for musicals either, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the stage production of Chicago nor the film Moulin Rouge (say whatever you will about that one). A film (or play) either works or it doesn't.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
It should be noted that there's a difference between "reviewers" and "critics." There's also a discipline known as "film theorist."
Jack I'm a little fuzzy on the difference between your definition of "reviewers" and "critics" and "film theorist." and how you examples fit into either category.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks