some movie reviewers baffle me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Z, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

This goes for "professional" reviewers and ordinary folks as well. Their want for something new is funny.
    For instance, last night I decided to see what people on epinions thought about the Friday the 13th movies. As I read the reviews, I found it laughable that people were basically criticizing the sequels for being the same ole predictable slasher film. What??? Hello, that is why people watch these movies, to get more senseless slashing.[​IMG]
    Maybe these folks want Jason Voorhees to team up with the Wonder Twins, to morph into the form of water....oops, wait, that's Zan's gig...to wear some flashy tights and kill victims while pirouetting and reading Shakespeare. Now that would be new, and unpredictable, but also totally stupid. The reason movie series like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and 007 have been successful is because they give us more of what we want. Can I get an Amen?

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

If you look real carefully, you'll find a few positive F13 reviews at Epinions. I wrote 'em! [​IMG]

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I can't exactly agree with you there either, Robert_Z.

I will tell one I just couldn't believe. A few months ago I somehow stumbled across Gene Shalit talking about Sweet Home Alabama. He started off by enthusiastically saying, "The first time I saw Reese Witherspoon on screen was in Legally Blonde." This guy does this shit for a living? He actually receives a paycheck? I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

But I'll agree, easily. The problem is that the person that reviews a movie should like that genre of movies. You don't send someone that likes musicals to a kung-fu movie unless they happen to like those too.

In other words, if you hated musicals, how in the world could you review one? This happens with CD's too. The only exception would be if you agree with everything that the reviewer says.

A case in point is TTT. Ebert said it sucked and Roper liked it. Which one is right? And yes, I read a first review of the first Star Wars movie, and he thought it was silly.

Glenn

7. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I read the review in the paper. No, that wasn't a quote, but if you didn't know anything about TTT and based your watching it solely on his review then you would have stayed home.

That was just an example.

Glenn

9. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

I will partially agree in that, too often, movie critics focus more on what the movie is trying to do than whether it's successful. As a result, critics are more likely to praise ambitious movies that aren't entirely successful (cf SOLARIS) and cast their noses at less ambitious movies that meet their goals (insert slasher movie here).

There's a number of interesting questions that unfold out of this: is a success with modest goals better or worse than a partial failure with ambitious goals? Can the two even be compared? And are the Friday the 13th or Bond films successful even on their own terms?

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No reviewer should "have" to "like" any genre in order to give a particular film a fair review. A film succeeds or fails according to its own merits. The reviewer's job is to articulate why it failed or succeeded.

11. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

in their opinion.... and really, that's all that it comes down to... Their opinion!

Jim

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But informed opinions are better than uninformed opinions.

13. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

My point, again, is that I don't want some "reviewer" saying a slasher movie sequel is a bad movie because it has more slashing. That is the whole point of the movie. Slasher movie fans watch these movies because of the blood n' guts. Criticizing a movie for that is foolish.

Like a previous poster said, if you don't like movies of a particular genre, then please do us all a favor and don't review such movies. Your opinion is useless.

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Having to show violence in a graphic way just for the sake of it...is a sign that the filmmakers have little creativity going for the film.
    Think of it... Psycho is regarded as a great horror film. Do you see any actual acts of violence on-screen? No....it's all hidden by the editing and camerawork. And it's still more frightening than showing too much.
    Besides...the sequels are simply vehicles for a lot of splatter. They cheapen the first film.
    Any reviewers who regard Psycho II-IV as "enjoyable" movies are simply brain-dead. They're simply "horror" films while the first is a suspense film. And how can you respect anyone who would dare sequel-ize an Alfred Hitchcock film? I don't mean to be harsh, but no matter how you sugar-coat these sort of cash-crap films, they're still lousy. But that's just my opinion. [​IMG]

16. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

17. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I kind of like what Ebert said in a recent Charlie Rose interview: You have to be honest and be a movie audience. He said he asked one of the critics that he really respected when he was just starting out years ago, and that was the only advise this person gave, and it's been a gospel for him ever since.
    To iluminate the point, he used the recent movie "Jackass" as an example. He said he really laughed through out the whole thing, even though he knows the movie is totally stupid, no redeming value whatsoever and at times mean spirited, but he has to be honest and "Thumbs Up" it. He said he could have done one of those "film intellectual" analysis and just ripped the movie to pieces but he would have been lying and "image preserving" rather than relating his experience as an honest critic should.

18. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    My problem with Friday the 13th movies is that (aside from being pitifully bad and even boring at times) the series could have been elevated to true greatness... in the hands of someone clever. Each sequel had an opportunity to do something truly interesting--and I had high hopes for each one as they came out--but they flubbed it completely. (The old, "You can only kill Jason at the end, and then he will always come back in the next movie still wearing his hockey mask" trick is about as worn-out as it comes.)
    I love a good slasher flick. But it's too damned easy to make crappy sequels, and that's what ruined Friday the 13th... over and over again. For example, the original Psycho, Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street films were exceptional pieces of horror. But all of their sequels were carefully overseen by complete idiots (with the possible exception of Wes Craven's New Nightmare).

19. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

20. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor