Some more Ipod questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Reid K, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

After reading a bit about the older ones I learned that after a while the unit would get kinda wonky (battery life would get messed up etc) and was wonderin if this was fixed in the new ones. Also right now I have a nomad 2c and the screen is just about completly filled with dust, and was wondering if this will happen with an Ipod. Finally i was wondering is it worth $90 (canadian) extra to upgrade from the 10 gig version to the 15 gig version, keeping in mind with this upgrade I would also get the docking port, remote, and case which dont come with the 10 gig version. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help out.

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I've had my 15GB iPod for a few months now. I haven't noticed any irregularities with the battery life, it still lasts a few hours. Limiting the time the backlight stays on also helps preserve the battery quite a bit. Do you mean dust inside the screen? No, never seen that happen on my iPod. It's probably worth the extra money if you wanted those things anyway. Of the 3 accessories, I only really use the docking port, which is very nice and handy. The remote combined with the headphones is actually too long to make it useful to me at 6'1", and I find actually wearing the belt clip case tacky.

That said, there's a great iPod forum at http://www.ipodlounge.com where you should be able to get some answers from long-time owners.

3. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

I had a 3rd gen 15 gig ipod that died on me last week. Good thing I bought an extended warranty from BB. So I didn't make the same mistake the same time buying another ipod. I bought the new creative nomad zen nx 30 gig for less than the ipod 15 gig. Other than being a little bit bigger( I still wear it when I go lifting and don't have any problems)and not having a "cool" screen" like the ipod, I think the zen nx is the way to go.

The face plate comes off so I can change the battery if it fails...unlike apple I don't have to practically pay for a new one so they can throw a $40 battery in it.

the zen doesn't get scratched from breathing on it

More HD space for the money

Sounds worlds better than ipod 50mw r and l I believe and 98sd too.

.....who am I kidding I wish I would have bought the iriver [​IMG]

4. Marc_J

Marc_J Auditioning

I've got a 5 gig ipod that I've been using regularly for a year and a half. The decreasing battery voltage issue was fixed in a software update (it was reading a voltage drop wrong and the unit would shut down). I haven't had any problems with mine. The only thing I've noticed is that the load time for music is a little slower than when new, but I think that this is because I've never defragmented it (and I turn over a ton of music and keep it full). ymmv of course.

5. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I've had a 30gig for a couple months and it's been great. I don't think the $90 is worth the extra accessories, but if you think you'll use the space then go for it. The remote and the docking port are kind of cool, but I don't use mine terribly much.

Isn't the step up to 20gigs and not 15gigs now?

6. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

yah I believe so. 20 replaces the 15 and 40 replaces the 30.