What's new

Some *interesting* info about Cats & Dogs (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Here's the truth about Cats and Dogs (not to be confused with The Truth About Cats and Dogs)
Want to know why you can't find widescreen copies in your local stores? I was going to rent the widescreen version from http://www.rentmydvd.com
mickey31.gif

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It does indeed look suspicious.
No wonder I have so few WB discs in my collection.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I didn't follow it that closely, but I assumed that C&D was supposed to be P&S only originally. But then all the Wonka thing happened and as a result they decided (a little late) to also do a widescreen C&D to avoid the whole Wonka-like uproar.
Isn't that why it took a little longer to get into the system and ultimately to retailers (even though the "official" street date was the same)?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
What the hell is Warner thinking?
rolleyes.gif

------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
And the widescreen version contains:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen, Animated
• Separate Dog and Cat Commentaries
Am I the only one who can't access the cats commentary? No matter what I do, the only commentary I get is the dogs.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Isn't that why it took a little longer to get into the system and ultimately to retailers (even though the "official" street date was the same)?
I don't understand the system, but why couldn't the two versions have the same preorder date if they had the same street date? Or why couldn't they have advertised the coming widescreen version a little better? It seemed that those retailers that ordered the P&S version didn't even know that there was a widescreen version that had the same street date. They just assumed that it was the only version available. That's pretty poor communication on Warner's part. I also smell a conspiracy.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The reason the preoreder date for the WS Cats & Dogs was later was due to the late decision to release the DVD in WS. If it had the same preorder as the P&S version retailers would have had a ridiculously short amount of time to preorder it, so they extended the time on the WS preorder to accomodate them (but didn't aggressively advertise it). They didn't push back the preorder of the P&S because that would have caused more problems.
Warner's mistake was back when they decided to release it in P&S in the first place, everything else wasn't a conspiracy, just problems created by that initial stupid decision.
[Edited last by Chad R on October 27, 2001 at 05:04 PM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For a studio that was there since the beginning and right there in the battle for so long, I think Warner has lost their cojones and are crumbling to the p&s crowd.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The disc doesn't include separate cat and dog commentaries. Clearly they planned to do this - you can still hear introductions for both in the existing track - but the DVD only offers a single commentary. My personal theory is that the separate pieces weren't very interesting on their own, so they were combined. In any case, the end result is terrific - I thought this was an excellent commentary. (The movie itself's not so hot, though I did enjoy Sean Hayes' work as Mr. Tinkles...)
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
This probably explains why the company I work for (Suncoast) is not stocking the WS version in our warehouse. We're only allowed to special order them for customers from Ingram.
------------------
"What is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women..."

Link Removed
Roykirk's DVD Collection

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
This probably explains why the company I work for (Suncoast) is not stocking the WS version in our warehouse. We're only allowed to special order them for customers from Ingram.
That is the reason I stopped goin to Suncoast!!!. I shouldn't have to special order a Widescreen version of a DVD or any movie.
------------------
:alien:
My Dvd Collection

Russ Felton

Stunt Coordinator
How are the sales for the Full Screen version? The reason why I ask is because everywhere we've been to, they seem to have way too many full screen dvd on the shelves (as in everybody is holding out for Widescreen).
I personally think this is all a ploy to get people to re-purchase the same movie twice. We know that the studios are willing to cheapen themselves by re-releasing the same movie a few month after the regular release in a new special or "Ultimate"(Universal) edition, so my theory is, they sell you a full sreen copy now, and then in a few years when wide screen TV's are the norm, they re-sell the same movie in widescreen. I actually think it seems ass backward that Warner will show the "Angel" TV show on the WB network in widescreen this season but they seem to have a problem with widesceen DVD. Talk about NOT catering to the masses: Widescreen TV shows and Full Screen DVD?!?!? Pretty Sneaky Huh? :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, they're not going to sell ME a fullscreen copy of it! No OAR, No Sale. This rule helps keep me from sending Warner large amounts of money and giving it to other, smarter, studios.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Warners one of the few studios that's offered movies with both versions on the same disc, i.e. "Splendor in the Grass", "Bonnie and Clyde", "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" etc.? It would seem that would be the ideal solution but then, of course, since both sides would be needed for material they wouldn't be able to come up with those beautiful pictures they print on the disc. Also the genereal public would probably become very annoyed that they would have to actually look at the label to see which is the A or B side. Since those previous movies I mentioned have rather low retail prices it apparently doesn't cost them any more to manufacture. Oh well, just my observation.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Bill,
I got the same response from RentMyDVD.com. However, they have done nothing to fix the problem. They are still listing only a Full Screen version and don't even have the Wide Screen version as "Coming Soon" or anything to denote that they are actually going to purchase some of them. I'm beginning to believe that they are just passing the buck to Warner because there is absolutely nothing preventing them from buying Widescreen versions now and listing them on their site for rental.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Cats & Dogs premiered at #3 on the Video Scan charts, behind Star Wars & Snow White.
The main reason the cut-off date for the Widescreen Cats & Dogs was two week later than the pan and scam? It was officially announced September 19th, two days befroethe cut-off date.
Daniel L

Jacob_St

Second Unit
My guess is it's probably a pain in the butt for this rental place to exchange the fullscreen for wide. They probably already have tons of them out in the mail to customers. They probably have to wait for all these discs to come back before they can exchange them. Maybe Warner is giving them the run around because it would cost the studio money to eat all those fullscreen copies and replace them widescreen. If Warner had been on the ball and not tried to sneek this "full screen only" plan out the door this mess could have been easily avoided.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One update: the theatrical trailer does appear on the widescreen DVD, so I believe the extras are identical on both versions...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks