Some info regarding DLP (owners may wish to read this)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Boniferro, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I was just at one of my competitors shops today and talking to one of his guys about DLP rear projos. This particular salesperson had sold 3 samsung units prior to the big blackout last month (and subsequent rolling blackouts).
    What happened to 2 out of the 3 that he sold? (the 3rd wasn't watching at the time) They were both destroyed by the sudden loss of power.
    Apparently the DLP runs extremely hot, which is no problem since it it cooled by a fan, but the fan is supposed to run for up to 30 mins after the set is turned off. Apparently if the power goes off it can wreak havoc since the set doesn't have a chance to cool down.
    He was on the phone with a top samsung service guy who was very concerned that this could become a major problem and apparently nobody there had been able to figure out what this tech at a repairshop in town came up with.
    So whatever comes of this, for any DLP owners I may suggest investing in an uninterrupted power supply unit so that you can turn your set off safely if the power does happen to go out.

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

All I know is that my DLP projector (not TV) has the fan run for about 1 minute (tops) after I shut it down. If the power ever goes off while I am watching a movie I'll be waiving a magazine at it like nobody's business! [​IMG]

3. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

It's the bulb inside the TV, not the TV that runs hot. The bulb can shatter if there is a power loss and it is not cooled properly, depending on the design of the unit. Usually, though, the fan runs after the bulb is shut off so that the bulb returns to striking temperature sooner and the TV or projector can be restarted safely. Striking a hot bulb is not recommended.

4. Mike Boniferro

lol Micheal,
    I was also told that the front projectors don't run as hot... that's one part I could not figure out

so Sean, are you saying that all these units would need is a replacement bulb? This shop is replacing the entire units since they say that it's not worth fixing....

5. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Oh, I didnt know this. May its time to get a UPS for my Sammy DLP

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

All digital projection sets, whether front projection or rear, DLP, LCD, or LCOS/D-ILA, need to have their bulbs cooled, even after turning it off. Typically, the fan keeps running between 30 seconds and 1 minute after it's turned off.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Wouldn't some TV's (and projectors) suffer heat damage to components on the printed circuit boards depending on their position relative to the lamp?

It would be better if projection TV's come with two power cords, one for the lamp circuit which draws high current and is not plugged into an uninterruptible power supply? This avoids the problem of having to purchase a large high capacity UPS.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Mike Boniferro

Well Dean, I'm kind of perplexed. I'm going to be speaking with some people at Samsung because I just learned of one of my customers who lost a set shortly after a power outage.

On the other hand, I just checked my display model and the techs had plugged it into the power on a receiver and so it would get turned off very often without having power for the fan to cool it....

9. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Yes, Mike a best case scenario would be that only the bulb has to be replaced. Unfortunately, these are high pressure bulbs and if they are compromised due to excess heat, then they may explode damaging other internal components in the set. Quite a few FP's have been damaged buy an exploding bulb. And it's ususally not so much the loss of power, but its restoration and striking the hot lamp that leads to bulb failure. If the bulb temperature continues to rise after the power loss then it could also damage the bulb. I don't know if the bulbs in Samsung sets continue to rise in temp. after the loss of power, though from your experience in the shop it wouldn't seem to be the case.

10. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Anybody know what the draw is on the Sammy Tvs?