Some info on Robin Hood:Prince of Theives SE...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jul 16, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I know this is not anything new or confirmed. But, I just got off the phone with a rep from Morgan Creek Productions. He said they just finished the True Romance dvd. And now were working on the Robin Hood disc. I am not sure if he said they were almost done or not. He did not give a release date. But, I assume before the end of the year. I know it is old news. But, I have been holding off buying this movie and any news is better then no news.

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Will the special edition improve Kevin Costner's English accent?

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

4. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

This is very good news. I have not bought WB's crapper snapper yet.

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Any idea what will be on the new disc?
    I was an assistant manager at a local theater when the movie first came out, and I remember talking with some of the other employees about scenes that were in the trailer, but not the movie itself, particularly the scene where the stolen carriage gets dumped into some kind of lake as it jumps off the road.
    From what I can remember (having seen it in the theater SEVERAL times), the DVD is the theatrical release. So, I can't imaging the SE DVD being so special except for dual-layer (no @*$&@#% flipper!) and perhaps some behind-the-scenes material unless there were scenes cut out for the theatrical release that are going to be included.
    Any info? Hmm? Hmm? Whatcha got? [​IMG]

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Aside from any extra features, the current release is a truly terrible-looking transfer. Aside from being non-anamorphic it looks terrible on a 4/3 set, just grainy nasty noisey unwatchable on any set of any size.

I'd buy a reissue just to get decent picture quality.

7. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I have owned both the laserdisc and DVD and they are both really grainy.

8. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Anybody know what the OAR of this movie is supposed to be?

I purchased the current disc some time ago (it was on sale last January at Best Buy for $9.95), and the transfer is just barely letterboxed at about 1.66:1. I have a hard time believing that this is its OAR.

9. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

As long as it isn't censored, like our lovely, lovely BBFC "PG" sanitised version. (not that I'd buy such filth, you understand)

At the moment, we have
    [*]Cut, but single sided.[*]Or a Flipper, yet uncut.[/list]I bought a dirt-cheap copy of the US laserdisc to keep me going. (with auto-flip, so only one change.)

If anyone has some concrete information on the SE, then don't keep it to yourself.

10. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Scott

I thought the original flipper UK release was still cut.
    My understanding was this had in the swearing but not the violence at the start, this was also cut from the cinema release. It was then withdrawn very quickly when it was pointed out the swearing was inappropriate for a PG and only this sanitised version was rereleased last year (no swearing or violence was ever approved by the BBFC for the UK).
    Warner wanted the children friendly PG rating and not a 15.
    Its a problem with the UK have an age restricted 15 rating rather than the similar age advisory ratings for Australia and the US.

11. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

According to IMDB, it was filmed spherically at an aspect ratio of 1.85:1.