Some info on LOTR: The Return of the King game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kami, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Just picked this one up and had a good time with the first two levels before I had to pause it because 24 came on. [​IMG]

My incentive to advance in the game is pretty extreme; I get to see scenes from the movie! [​IMG]

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, so far it's a hoot. It's easy enough that a neophyte game player like me can do ok but there looks to be enough variation that it should generally be challenging for the more experienced folks. Gandalf really kicks ass. [​IMG]

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm torn between getting this game and waiting to see the movie first. Any thoughts?

5. Clay-F

Clay-F Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to decide of the PC version will be worth getting....

Any PC users compared it to the PS2?

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I was drooling over this game for 15 minutes in the store today. Decided to walk out and won't check it till after the film.

9. Eric_P

Eric_P Extra

I'm definately looking forward to picking this up.. especially for the co-op mode! [​IMG]

10. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Holy crap!! I have the Xbox version and I just played the first two Gandalf levels and the game is AMAZING!! So big and epic. The visuals got a SERIOUS upgrade, the sound quality is INCREDIBLE. MOVIE QUALITY SOUND here folks. The gameplay is smoother (just the way it controls, feels very nice). WHereas in the TTT game you knew the game was centered around "you," this game feels much more epic in the sense that you are a speck in the whole thing. In the "Road to Isengard" level, there is one part where you must kill 75 orcs, but you aren't the only one killing them, there is giant Ents walking around smashing things up, so theoretically you could just watch the whole thing from the cliff above, but when you get down there its fun as hell [​IMG] Ents will step onto you too if you're not careful. Then there's another part where you take out some giant towers with orc archers on them and the resulting explosions just shook my room and made it so immersive.

The menu system is gorgeous again (a lot better actually)

My only beef with the game so far is that the actual movie clips are compressed very poorly (very noticable on my 50" toshiba), and the sound from them has some serious reverb or something on it.

Dean, after two levels I already think it is twice the game that the TTT game was.

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I cracked and bought the game last night. I didn't have school today (teacher convention in Atlantic City) so I already beat it.

Wow. This game rocks. The graphics, sound, gameplay, and overall design is a HUGE step up from TTT. Beyond that, there are 6 playable characters from the beginning, which expands to 9 once you've beaten the game. Also, there's a nice little teaser after the credits...

It says "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, 2004"

[​IMG]

12. Scott Weinberg

It is indeed a rather cool game.

I've finished the left and right 'branches' of the menu, but am now stuck on the Pelennor Fields level. Anyone buy the hint guide? [​IMG]

13. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

What part are you stuck at Scott? You just have to go back on forth to both cliffs to kill the oliphaunts, and after every oliphaunt, you have to attack the witch king w/ your ranged attack. Takes about 6-8 attacks if I remember.

I'm on the Black Gate right now (finished Gandalf's path, now at end of King's path..haven't done hobbits yet) and it is hard at the very end. I just died twice after killing 5/6 of the big fat orcs. The Mouth of Sauron wasn't too difficult.

AMAZING GAME!!!! The fact that it is LOTR helps (for me [​IMG] ) but it is great in itself. I can't wait to try co-op mode and to go back and play my favorite levels. Southern Gate on King's path stands out...fun level!

14. Scott Weinberg

15. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Yes, the Shelob battle was awesome.

The oliphaunts do not go side to side, sometimes they mix it up. When the cinematic comes on showing the oliphaunt approaching, you can tell which side it is on.

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

17. Scott Weinberg

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Stay up on the hills until the next oliphaunt shows up. After seeing which side it's on, go to that side and shoot the oliphaunt down. Right after it's done, go to the end near Merry and Eowyn and wait for the fell beast to show up. As soon as he's shot down, go towards the exit of the hill and wait for the next oliphaunt. Try to stay out of the fields themselves as much as possible.

And try using the South Gate level to gain lots of experience. You can easily get 45,000+ in one play through.

19. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I picked this up when I went to exchange my 3 for 2 games at Toys R Us and they were out of Top Spin Tennis. Nothing else even remotely interested me so I decided to take a chance on LOTR. Hell has officially frozen over, as EA has released 2 games in the past month that I absolutely love(SSX3 being the other).

This is pretty much THE definitive detached view hack and slash, although it's hard to rank compared to those with more intimate views like Devil May Cry. I wish Koei would take some notes, Dynasty Warriors needs some retooling now that it's actually on DW4:Xtreme Legends.

20. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer