What's new

some idiot knocked over my Paradigm! (1 Viewer)

JasenJ

Agent
From the picture posted, I agree, the damage looks pretty minor. But, I think the original poster's real concern is that the speaker toppled over and hit the wall pretty hard. Is there any internal damage likely that isn't immediately apparent? Like a cone basket cracked or some insulation knocked loose or some such that won't show up till six months or a year down the road when the damaged component fails. Or is something now misaligned?

I suggest you ask around in the DIY forum. Someone that builds speakers should have a good idea what might (or not) go wrong inside.

I'd probably find a good speaker repair shop and ask them to open the thing up and take a look inside. A shop should also be able to fix up the scratch. Send the drunk the bill. No regrets.

It really sucks when you've bought a nice "anything" you plan to keep for a long time then someone goes and messes it up. Almost more so when it's cosmetic damage - not bad enough to justify replacing, but bad enough to bug you every time you look at it. :angry: Sometimes life sucks.

- Jasen.

Jason Brent

Second Unit
First of all, I agree with the poster above that there is something wrong with you 'not giving a sh*t' about the wall because you won't be there in 6 months. I too noticed that comment on that thread. That does kinda say 'I only care about my stuff and don't about yours'

That attitude aside, you're in a tough situation. On the one hand I can see not wanting to make too big of a deal out of it. But I do think you are owed some kind of compensation. If it is reasonable for you to do, I also suggest having the drivers inspected.

I had a speaker that was dropped so hard from FedEx that the magnets broke completely off the baskets on the tweeters.

That laminate is not going to be simple to fix. It might be easier (and look better) to put a veneer on the thing. Of course you'd have to do the other one to match.

Best of luck...

Eric Eash

Second Unit
personally, i'd be pissed, but i don't think i'd ask him to replace the speaker as long as the damage was only cosmetic. besides, it's a good excuse to upgrade! but, it's totally up to you and if the drunk guy said he'd replace it, take him up on it. he obviously wouldn't have said it if he wasn't sorry and wasn't ready to. tell him to give you $650 and sell him the speakers, then go to audiogon and pick up this brand new pair Monitor 11

just my .02,

eric

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Tell him that your going to take it into a shop to have it checked out internally to make sure its sound. Then your going to take it too a woodshop and have it repaired. Hand him the bill and be done with it. Thats only fair. But forsure get it checked out inside. You may have some cracks in the bracing or something has wiggled loose and overtime could cause problems. Not to mention down the road the resale value of the speakers will be much less due to visual appearance.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks