What's new

some idiot knocked over my Paradigm! (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
my idiot roommate's alcoholic father decided to get hammered at her graduation party and knocked over one of my Monitor 11s. from the looks of things, the speaker completely toppled over and hit the corner of a wall. a pretty big chunk of the wall is missing, but more importantly, there's a fairly good size piece taken out of the speaker. he said he'd take care of it...but i'm wondering what a fair price to ask is. he volunteered to replace the thing...but is it possible to order ONE speaker? should i just come up with a dollar amount for him to pay me instead? the damage is something i couldn't fix myself, and while i'm VERY anal about my speakers...i kind of feel bad if he has to buy an entire new one. just not sure what to do here...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as nothing internal is damaged, there's really no need to replace the speaker. It was an accident, even if alcohol was involved (sounds very similar to what happened to me, stupid alcoholics...). I let that one go though, because the speaker was OK, aside from a decent knick that was on the back. Only your dealer can tell you if they can get a single one, but then what would you do with the one you already have? Use it as a center? I'd recommend checking used, you might be able to pick up a pair for what a new one would cost, unless they are v3.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
my idiot roommate's alcoholic father
I hope neither of them are members of HTF. :b

I'd ask him to replace it and don't feel bad about it. You deserve a new speak, especially if you are "very anal" about the appearance - you'll never be satisfied with less.

Darrin W-G

Grip
Paradigm Monitor 11's cost NZ$2900 a pair. I'd smash his knees caps in... I felt the same when my drunk uncle yrs ago toppled over my Energy 4.1's...

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i wish i could post some pictures i took of the damage...but i guess i can't. pictures are at the bottom of page 2 and top of page 3 in this link ( http://www.anyoneseenthebridge.com/m...hreadid=262595 )

i wasn't there to witness the destruction, but apparently the speaker fell completely over. my question is...with such a heavy speaker, is it possible that the fall could have caused some internal damage? the speaker still sounds fine to me, but i'm wondering if there could be some problems down the road or something...

WayneO

Supporting Actor
What's up with that forum link, got some childish idiots over there...........make him replace it, it ain't a knick-knack or something like that.

PaulKoss

Agent
Why are you obsessing about this? Are you sure you're not a girl? He offered to replace it. He probably feels terrible. Take him up on his offer and stop whining for Christ's sake.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be mad as hell too but would not ask him to replace it. It doesn't look that bad to me and if there is no internal damage, the sound quality should be the same. Repairing the dent could be an option. But I'm going to asume that they would have to put the drivers/components in a new speaker box and probably not worth fixing. You could ask for a little compensation but how much I wouldn't know.

Sebastian

Second Unit
i wasn't there to witness the destruction, but apparently the speaker fell completely over. my question is...with such a heavy speaker, is it possible that the fall could have caused some internal damage? the speaker still sounds fine to me, but i'm wondering if there could be some problems down the road or something...
You have got to be KIDDING, replace the whole speaker for that?!?
If the speaker sounds "fine" then just get the dent fixed. Just get some wood dough and some matching veneer and bill the guy for it. Asking to replace the speaker is way over board and most likely if their that expensive, he will not replace it in the first place. Accidents happen and life sucks. Been there before, nothing like having your brand new car with a nice door ding on it. Just don't think about and life will go on.
Note to self, don't have parties at your place, if you are worried about things getting broken and no room mates.
Anyway, just my opinion.
$50 sounds fair.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
After seeing the damage on the linked site I'd say the damaga is VERY minimal.

Get him to pay for a woodshop pay to repair the little ding and call it a day.

A pro should be able to repair that VERy easily.

Brent

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I understand how you feel about your speakers but the damage is cosmetic. What would you do if you had been the one to knock it over?
The answer is probably not replacing the speaker. See if someone locally can repair it and call it done.

Dave Shepard

Agent
I wouldn't sweat it, your in collage and it is a time to learn and make life long friends. Granted your speaker has some small cosmetic damage but that is all it is. I'm sure that he feels bad but accidents happen. If you came over my house and knocked something into my SVS PB2+ and knicked it I surely would not be happy but wouldn't expect you to but me a new one (if you could afford to buy it) or even expect you to compensate me (retarded). Maybe it is time you learn the meaning "forgiveness" you are a collage student after all. If you are fortunate enough after school you will be able to get even better (if you feel there is any) speakers. You also said in your thread that you don't care about the hole in the wall because you will be leaving in 6mo., why don't you compensate them for the damage seeing that it is your room (your responsability too) and you are so responsable and coinsiderate of other peoples things. You don't like it being done to you and your stuff, so don't do it to somebody else's (there's something else you should learn) or should everybody forgive you for your mistakes while you condem them for theirs. Life is a two way street and is full of give and take. It in the end is not worth loosing a friend over and you should be better then that.

Just something to think about

Dave

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at those two pictures. That sucks, man. I feel for you. But if I was the unlucky idiot who did the same thing - it'd be a cold day in heck that I gave you 2K, or even half that to fix or replace it. Since I am a nice guy, and sympathetic, you could get $200 from me to take it to a furniture shop for their best work. If you were a complete jerk about it, you'd have to see me in court. The one in a million chance, he was looking for a set of $2K speakers already and maybe you could work a deal.

I'm with another poster. Switch sides for the speaker, maybe buy some kind of decorative cloth table runner to help cover it (for your own sake of not looking at it EVERY TIME you walk by), and ask the guy for a couple hundred. If he laughs at you, take whatever you can and use it to buy nice cables, a new component, headphones, ritz evening with the girlfriend, or something in compensation. Accidents, unfortunately, happen.

Huge bummer. Best of luck.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Wow, those people on that forum are idiots. They are probably in the group that takes their dishes in the shower with them to clean them with shampoo and their washcloth.

I like the comment about 'moving them into a corner to hide the ding' - LOL!!! :D These ain't Klipschorns...

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem I see would be the possible lower resale value. Since its a very minor cosmetic issue I'd have it fixed have him buy me dinner and not think twice about it after.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Hey - just out of curiousity - where would you go to take this stuff in for repair? I mean, for a laminate type speaker, wouldn't you have to replace the entire laminate side?

I'm guessing the work required would be to sand side, apply wood putty, resand, and apply laminate? B/c if you just paint over the damaged area, I dont think it would look right.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

What does gender have to do with it? And why are you speaking to another member this way? Please, let's be nice here.

I can understand being mightily upset. His expensive speaker was cosmetically fine before the party, and now it's not -- because an inebriated guest tripped over the thing. Some sort of compensation is in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks