What's new

Some HD-DVD titles seem too dark, anyone else have this problem. (1 Viewer)

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I have an Mitsubishi DLP projector, with 1300 lumens, preojecting on an 80" incinema screen. I have uprgaded to HD-DVD, and I am running through HDMI-DVI cable. I love the picture so far, but on some films, like Troy or Superman Returns, the picture seems dark, the bright scenes look murky, like someone put a window tiniting over the lens, but other films, like Sleepy Hollow, and the Break Up, look perfect, is it my setup, the projector, or are the films supposed to be this way, also when I set the gamma mode on the projector to standard, instead of film, it brightens up , and looks great on the darker films, but thne it is way to bright on the other films, and makes them look washed out. Does any one else have this delima.

Derek

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I have noticed this somewhat, but I tweaked my monitor not long after I got my HD-A1 and since then it's been fine.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Its a DVI > HDMI issue. On my Sony TV I have to turn the brightness up a couple notches for HD discs.

The end of Unforgiven was so dark, I couldnt see anything. I unplugged the DVI/HDMI plug and connected my HDA1 via component and the darkness problem was fixed.

However my HD Cable box and region free player occupy my 2 component inputs, so I have to keep the HDA1 connected through DVI/HDMI for now.

Ill prob look into Component splitters or something. You cant upscale through component though, but I dont really use my HD player for SDs.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Haven't noticed this on the "films" themselves, but I do notice this (Dark & murky) on the HD DVD previews of their films, that is shown before the main feature. Seems to me they should have done a better job to put this on all their discs that way.

I use the Toshiba A1 1080i HDMI out to a 'DVDO VP50' video processor, then 1080P HDMI to a Sony Ruby's HDMI in.

Paul

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys, I had some time after work, and switched the player from the dvi-hdmi cable, back to my component monster cables, big difference, the picture had blacks that were just as rich, but everything thing else was clear and bright, and the color and sharpness seemed to be better as well, much improved.

Derek

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I havne't watched all of SR, but I did preview selected scenes and it looked great, just like it looked in the theater. I'm using a straight HDMI to HDMI connection and an HD-A2.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC this is something definitely introduced (presumably unintentionally) when the firmware 2.0 was introduced, and from various reports it is only a HDMI-DVI issue.

I have it myself, as my DLP set only has a DVI input. Hence I now run HD-DVD into the set via component which cures the problem.

However it is annoying that it exists, and hopefully Toshiba will fix it. But from lat reports on the net, Tosh seem to be in a state of denial about it and are blaming cables rather than the player. But given that this only came in when the firmware went from 1.4 to 2.0 this rings a little hollow.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I noticed this immediately when I hooked up my unit months ago. The FW was 1.4 and the same issue remains with my 2.0 update. BTW I running HDMI cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks