What's new

Some GR Research AV1 pics! (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I just thought I'd share some pictures of the GR Research AV1 cabinets I built. The speakers aren't complete yet but the cabinets themselves are done.
Danny Richie liked the look so much I think this is how we'll be offering the finished enclosures that he'll be selling to his customers!
Check them out Link Removed!
Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Wow, really nice work, Brian. The veneer over the roundovers is a beautiful look and you pulled it off nicely.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Nice work! I also chose Maple for my veneer, and decided I liked the look of it best with just a few layers of Polycrylic on it. I like the look of the light wood, and the grain stands out beautifully without any stain.

I haven't done my veneering work yet on my sub, as the weather is too cold. Maybe in a few weeks. . .

Did you use contact cement?

I am going to make AV1's or MB1's this summer for mains and center, and you've done the roundover/veneer exactly as I imagined, so it's great to see a real life example.

I bought flat cut maple for the front and back of my sub, and quarter sawn for the sides and top (the side/top edges are rounded over, so that will be one piece). I'll post pics whenever I get it done.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Wes Nance

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! I appreciate the compliments!
Wes,
Yes, I used contact cement. For the "veneer wrap" process I think it's best to have an extra pair of hands to help things go smoothly.
Also, if you want to do the easiest possible poly finish that I've found, go to www.olddads.com. They only sell their products through unfinished furniture stores (under the store's brand name), but if you contact them they'll let you know of someone in your area.
I used their satin poly. It's a wipe on liquid that's as easy as wiping down the cabinets with a damp rag. Wait 4-6 hours between the first and second coats. Then the next day sand lightly with some 600 grit paper, wipe off the dust with a tack cloth, then wipe on your 3rd coat. The next day the cabinets will be dry enough to handle. This might be the closest thing to idiot-proof finishing I've seen!
Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

The poly always seems to get rough after a coat or two. I don't know if it's raising the grain or if there are just minute particles of dust that get caught in it or what. Most products recommend sanding in between each and every coat. This is the first that I've seen that says to apply the first two coats before sanding. I imagine some of it is because the poly is so thin that the first coat soaks in pretty well.

All I know is that I gives a wonderful, satin sheen that is truly the closest thing to a professional finish I've seen from a poly product.

Brian

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian, those look awesome! I was planning on doing something similar with the SCH kit I bought from you. If you could elaborate on how exactly you got those seemless corners,clean speaker recesses,

and what method you used to adhere it , us newbies would sure appreciate it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Gary,

Since I used NBL veneer, which is thicker than 10-mil paper-backed, I had to use a piece of 220 grit sandpaper at a 45 degree angle on the corners. I did my best to sand them until any line disappeared. It worked better in some places than others. The seams on the back didn't come out quite as nice, but that's more of an inexperience issue than anything. We'll know better how to handle that seam down the middle of the back next time.

I did the speaker holes/recesses with my Porter Cable router and Jasper Circle jig. In order to cut the veneer out over the holes I used a flush trim bit. For the tweeter cutout I used a rabbetting bit with a bearing that allowed the cutter to cut the veneer without cutting into the side wall of the recess.

As far as adhesive, I bought a gallon of contact cement and rolled it on with a 6" sponge roller. We used 2 coats on the MDF and veneer and added a third coat on the rounded corners since they suck it up so much more.

Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian, yes I got it and sent him one telling him I'm building a pair of the monsters now. Thanks for the tip.

Have you decided on a veneer to offer as a dark wood choice?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,
I haven't decided on a dark veneer yet. I'm really inclined to go with rosewood though!:)
You may want to monitor this thread over on harmonic discord!
Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Got it, Brian. I've started slaving over 4 sheets of 3/4" MDF and will make lots of sawdust this evening. BTW, my new drill press baby will be delivered this afternoon :)
Looks like I may have converted you to Rosewood, my favorite wood of all time. I remember looking at my dad's Constantine woodworking catalog when I was a kid and being absolutely awed by the photos of Rosewood.

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Sweet work, Brian. Truly an inspiration to look at.
Like Hank, I'm almost to the point of beating up on some MDF for my Sapphire project. I just have to find the right place locally from which to rent a table saw for a week or so. I'm working up in the world... for my sub I had Home Depot do the cuts for me, for my Sapphire mains I'm renting a saw, hopefully for my [undecided] center channel I'll have my own table saw :).
Thanks for the pictures... I'm going to use them as references for my veneering to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks