What's new

Some good westerns? (2 Viewers)

I don't know if it has been mentioned but my hands down favorite western is The Long Riders. I have no idea if it is on DVD yet, if not hopefully it will be soon.

Scott

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I don't know if they had another ending planned for RED RIVER. Maybe Crawdaddy knows the details.
In the 50's I read the book and was surprised by the ending. Thomas Dunson was more seriously wounded than it appeared in the movie. He left Kansas and made it to the Red River and crossed it. Then he died. I was devastated!

Red River was the first significant Western I ever saw, being a 10 year old lad in 1948. As such I judged all Westerns that followed to that film. Many approached or surpassed it but still it occupies a special place in my heart.

Kevin J Willis

Stunt Coordinator
"True Grit". The dukes best film.

"Flaming Star". I know it's an Elvis film, but this is Elvis' best performance,and it's a pretty good film to boot.

Rob T

Screenwriter
my favourites are

Tombstone

The Quick & The Dead

The Magnificent Seven

The Magnificent Seven Return

StephenA

Screenwriter
Well I have some westerns now:

Young Guns

The Quick and the Dead

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Tombstone Vista Series

I'm gonna get some more classic westerns soon.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'd suggest you start with

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

as your first classic western, but by no means don't leave out Shane, High Noon, Stagecoach, or The Searchers.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is also excellent with a splendiforously gorgeous transfer.

remember to chant your mantra, John Ford, John Ford, John Ford, you won't go wrong in looking for westerns (especially if you simultaneously chant, the Duke, the Duke, the Duke)

Adam

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Warms my heart to see so many list THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE. I love this movie. One of the top 3 greatest last lines in the movies.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
The Iron Horse (1925) from John Ford is an awesome silent western.
The tvseries How the West was Won with James Arness, Bruce Boxleitner and Fionnula Flanagan
The original tv movie from 1976 http://users.rcn.com/weinwalk/HTWWW2.html
The 6 hour mini series
http://users.rcn.com/weinwalk/HTWWW3.html
The 1978 20 hour tv series
http://users.rcn.com/weinwalk/HTWWW4.html
and finally in 1979 the 11 2 hour movies
http://users.rcn.com/weinwalk/HTWWW4.html
This was simply awesome, and has not been released on dvd which is a shame.
The Dollar Trilogy with Clint Eastwood ofcourse
Once Upon A Time in the West

Eric T

Second Unit
I'd have to say that Unforgiven is my favorite western, and I really like Tombstone as well.
You should also check out some wonderful Akira Kurosawa films that inspired so many American western movies: The Seven Samurai (remade as The Magnificent Seven), Yojimbo (Fistful of Dollars), and Sanjuro. They use swords instead of guns, but the attitude and atmosphere is there :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Hey, Stephen. Nice to see you expanding your horizons into one of my favourite genres. :)
Sorry I didn't get a chance to chime in with some recommendations. I just noticed this thread recently and it seems that anything I would have recommended have already been named.
Nonetheless, here are a handfull of personal favourites:
The Searchers
Stagecoach
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
The Shootist
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks