1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

some general SDTV questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ted Lee, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

couple of questions regarding standard def tv's.

component connections
    why would i want these connections on a tv that can't display hi-def? do i still tend to get better picture quality due to the video connection type?

progressive
    i noticed some of the tv's are listed as progressive? what does that mean?

anamorphic squeeze
    now, i'm not sure i saw this as a feature on the sdtv, but i thought i'd ask anyway. how does this work? my understanding is that the tv only scans the visible area of the picture, ignoring the black bars? so, this somehow squeezes more resolution into a smaller area?

thx,

ted

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

"component connections
    why would i want these connections on a tv that can't display hi-def? do i still tend to get better picture quality due to the video connection type?
    "

You wouldn't really need them. One could argue that it is a better connection method (which it clearly is), but if the TV can't display anything above SD, then the only benefit would be perhaps better video bandwidth by that connection method.

"progressive
    i noticed some of the tv's are listed as progressive? what does that mean?"

You are probably referring to what is often referred to as an enhanced definition TV, one that can't handle hi-def signals, but can handle signals higher than just plain 480i, such as 480p from a progressive scan DVD player.

This is a sqeeuze of the raster on CRT projectors. I'm not familiar with how this is handled on regular TVs or digital displays.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx chris!