What's new

Some friendly advice (1 Viewer)

Merry XMAS to all, a friend of mine gave me Navy Seals 2, to my suprise the movie was in Dolby surround 2.0. I was wondering this is a new movie, does anyone have it in 5.1 or DTS. Also is Blade Runner a good movie, I know this one is in DOLBY 2.0 but to my understanding it's a pretty good film.:emoji_thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know about Navy Seals.

However, Blade Runner is a GREAT movie. It was universally acclaimed by almost every critic when it was released, but it was a box-office failure. There are 2 versions of Blade Runner. The original box-office version which has narration by Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott's director's cut which was released about a decade afterwards which does not have ANY narration, but contains a key scene that is the source of some controversial implications.

Many people prefer the original version with narration as it is easier to follow. Many also like the directors cut. IMO, it is better to watch the original version first, then the director's cut afterwards.

The Blade Runner DVD is the director's cut without narration. If you have not bought this title yet, hold off as there is supposed to be a special edition released next year.

Glen

Todd your right, I glanced at it didn't actually watch it yet but have you see it Todd and can you answer my question. Is it only in 2.0

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Some films are made before Dolby Digital even existed in theaters. Heck some films are made before surround sound existed in theaters! And some films are presented with just music and you have to read! Scary thought huh?
You see it used to be that sound in a film never existed. You had some guy playing a piano off to the side for music but otherwise you read words off the screen. This was called a silent movie. Then sound began to emerge in films but the technology was not quite up to snuff just yet. So a lot of the early films with sound were presented in mono. Soon films would be presented in stereo then later they were presented in surround sound.
Dolby Digital sound came about in 1992 when Batman Returns hit the screens. dts came about in 1993 when Jurassic Park was released. With these advancements in sound technology all films could now be mixed for discrete surround sound.
Now some films prior to Dolby Digital's creation were mixed for discrete sound. Films like Alien, Return to Oz, and Apocalypse Now. But a majority of films stuck to either mono, stereo, or in some good cases stereo surround. Blade Runner is one of those films. It was released to theaters with a Dolby Stereo soundtrack. The DVD features this soundmix which was also mixed with some surround activity.
Now why do some films still get released to DVD in plain old stereo or stereo surround? Cost. Its cheaper to mix for stereo surround and a lot cheaper to mix for stereo than for discrete surround sound. True that some direct to video releases do have Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks and some even have dts. But a lot of direct to video distributors do not have the resources to mix for these channels. So they stick to Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo or Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo surround.
Just because you have a nifty Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital/dts receiver does not mean that every movie DVD is going to take advantage of those high-end soundtracks. Some movies will still be presented in the original soundmixes.

Thanks rutger_ very accurate and well written. I understand that. But I have seen very few new movies that are not DD 5.0, 5.1, DTS. that are new, not made over. It just caught me off guard in that a 2001 move was not in any of the above formatts. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks