Some Fox DVD Going OOP

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Garysb, May 20, 2005.

1. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Per Davis DVD:

20th Century Fox will be retiring a number of its catalog titles. Going out of print on June 30th are Ice Age: Special Edition (2-disc set), The Fly I/II (double feature), FernGully: The Last Rainforest, Oklahoma and State Fair. Retiring on July 31st is The Bruce Lee Master Collection. Retired on September 2nd are Anastasia (animated), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Hustler and The Verdict. Going bye-bye on January 31st, 2006 are: 28 Days Later, The Beach, Carousel, The King and I, South Pacific and Miracle on 34th St. (1947). Get 'em all while you can.

I am surprised there is no mention of the Sound of Music which is supposed to get a 40th Anniversary release this year. Oklahoma is supposed to get a 50th Anniversary release and State Fair a 60th Anniversary release.

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Could it be that with 3 of Paul Newman's dvds going oop, we could be seeing a PN Boxset

3. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Since is FOX it could only mean good things to come.

4. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

We could also be looking at some kind of Danny Boyle box set/promotion. Fox has the rights to 4 of his movies that I know of: A Life Less Ordinary, The Beach, 28 Days Later, and Millions. Maybe we'll finally get an anamorphic version of A Life Less Ordinary. I just hope we don't have to wait until 2006 for the DVD of Millions. That's in my top 5 movies of the year so far.

5. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

So I would guess that MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET will be re-issued late 2006 as a STUDIO CLASSIC?

ICE AGE 2 is coming to Theatres March 2006 so I would imagine a re-issue with a movie ticket for #2 sometime late Feb/Early March.

Perhaps a Danny Boyle promotion is on hand for 2006, but I cannot imagine them holding onto MILLIONS until then for DVD.

Maybe THE VERDICT is being re-issued in 2007 with a 25th Aniversary Edition.

6. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

These were among the first DVDs I bought. Maybe a new edition with anamorphic transfers is on the way?

7. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    the fly is getting a special edition.. that come out later this year.

JACOB

8. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

The Rodgers and Hammerstein Films are coming out in special anniversary editions (Oklahoma, Sound of Music, State Fair). So most likey "The King and I" & "Carousel" will follow next year for their 50th anniversary. Both "Carousel" and "The King and I" have been restored and screened at the Motion Picture Academy within the last year.
    Someone memtioned in another post that missing elements from the longer version of "South Pacific" have shown up. So I would guess FOX is re-issuing all of the titles mentioned above.

9. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    THE SOUND OF MUSIC has already been released in two deluxe DVD editions. What would be left to do with this one?

10. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

THE SOUND OF MUSIC has already been released in two deluxe DVD editions. What would be left to do with this one?

Apparently Julie Andrews is doing a commentary as well as making of/promotional piece for the DVD re-release.

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

It would also be great if they could correct the image. Anyone remember Robert Harris' thread, "Beauty and the Beast" where he compared WB's North By Northwest and Fox's The Sound of Music?

Guess which one was the "beast" in terms of picture quality?

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Let's just say that some people were not happy with the dvd quality of the previous release.

Crawdaddy

13. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Are Special Editions of Anastasia & Miracle on 34th St. (1947)coming or should I rush out and finally buy these?

14. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

One can only hope, considering how much better overseas Lee box sets have been. (For example: Hong Kong Legends' Bruce Lee 30th Anniversary Box Set has anamorphic transfers of the Master Collection's films, along with a fair bit of extras.)

15. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

All i can say is, it is about time...
    The Rodgers and Hammerstein flicks all need to be anamorphic and SEs.
    woo hoo.

I have been irritated for a few years that
    Fox films of lesser calibre (i.e RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE,which...dont get me wrong, i own, but c'mon!)
    have extras, and are anamorphic but the much more
    popular R and H classics were not done well the first
    go round.

16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Fox didn't get the picture about DVDs until after the R&H titles (save Sound of Music) had been released

17. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Why would Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid be going out of print? Is that in referance to the 2-disc SE?

Also, isn't 28 Days Later basically a Special Edition in it's current incarnation; what more could be added to the DVD with it's current commentary track, alternate endings, deleted scenes, making-of featurette, documentaries, etc?

Are these titles all going out of print with the intention of updating current editions?

It would be nice to get a Special Edition of The Beach and Fern Gully...

The Fly is supposedly coming to DVD later this year in a newly remastered S.E. and I'm sure we can expect to see the original 'Miracle' surface on DVD again come holiday promotion time, as is usually the case with Christmas studio releases.

I'd like to know about 28 Days Later and Butch Cassidy though... Any ideas?

18. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

I believe "The Beach" is already considered a special edition by Fox. It has some decent extras and I think it says "special edition" somewhere on the packaging if I recall.

19. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

"Also, isn't 28 Days Later basically a Special Edition in it's current incarnation; what more could be added to the DVD with it's current commentary track, alternate endings, deleted scenes, making-of featurette, documentaries, etc?"

Maybe they're going to get rid of all the extras and re-release it as a barebones cheapie. [​IMG]

I hope that's not the case but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

20. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Wasn't this originally a non-anamorphic title? Maybe they're upgrading it. Or re-releasing it as a barebones version.