What's new

Some folks still gotta have their full frame! (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I do agree. The problem I think many people have (myself included) is that the more people who buy MAR, the more the studios will continue to cater to them. Most times an OAR version is released but there still continues to be instances where films are released MAR only. This is very frustrating.

If the movie studios would state that they will release every movie in it's OAR (and MAR if they wish) I think you'd find much less lashing out at those who buy MAR.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but there are instances where actual elements of the story are lost. It's not always just a matter of missing a bush or a tree.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
True, but when the main elements of the scene are still onscreen. Either way, don't take this as an endorsement of fullscreen, but I have no problem with both versions being available and I certainly don't condemn people who prefer it and I won't moake fun of them. I think a lot of times people fail to realize if it wasn't for the average movie viewer, the "joe-sixpack" as I've seen them refered to in this forum, those who watch summer blockbusters exclusively, those who don't care about a movie being fullscreen, etc... we would have never seen the DVD format take off like it did and we definantly wouldn't have the catalog of films to choose from that we do. If you don't believe me take a look at laserdisc.

To each there own and lets not belittle the group who helped a format we love reach maturity.

I totally agree that that sucks but that is a pure business decision on the studios part and I would rather sacrifice those few movies being done like that if the studio can make more $$ off of them that they can put into making truly kickass versions of other movies.

In a perfect world we would all be satisfied and get what we want, but then again, I would also have a 2000+ DVD collection and a true theater to watch them in without bad prints, poorly calibrated sound equipment, and screaming children on opening night with inconsiderate parents.;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
How is it different when I refuse to buy a movie because I'm only seeing 1/2 of it as opposed to someone who refuses to buy the whole movie because he only wants to see 1/2 of it? Completely different! And if you don't see the difference, then there's not much point in my trying to explain it.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Even though I sort of react with disgust and disbelief to stories of people "annoyed" with the "black bars", I'm sure we can live with the availability of "MARred" versions as long as the real thing is also there.

But it still find it good (maybe even necessary) to have people like you (us) fighting for the ideal.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Exactly Jonathan. Of course many of us have progressed and now have the option to refuse to buy Partial Aspect Ratio titles. Alienating this crowd that will though, isn't helping the cause any. I had a wonderful opportunity to explain the importance of OAR to me, when Kung Fu came out and I refused to purchase it. Friends and family, knowing my anticipation of this, were like "Dude, it's out!" This opened the door to explain the war of aspect ratios and all the minor battles within. I can bet that the one's who respect my opinion are reading the back of potential purchases a bit more closely now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

You know, people keep trotting out this little chestnut in these type of threads. And it might be reassuring if it were accurate. But there have been several recent releases (Annie, anyone? Or Remo Williams?) where THE ONLY VERSION AVAILABLE IS MAR!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I watched pan & scan versions like everyone else, ignorant of what I was missing. When I was in 2nd grade, I thought you couldn't take the square root of a negative number, because I was ignorant of imaginary numbers. But the fact that I did stupid things because I was ignorant, doesn't mean that I should do them now that I know better, or not try to educate others who may be ignorant still. And as Malcolm points out, it's not just live and let live. I would be perfectly happy in a world where the studios released MAR product but pledged that every single movie would be released in OAR. But that's not happening. I complain about those demanding MAR films, because it leads to me not being able to get OAR versions of Kung Fu or Grumpy Old Men. And I believe if no one was clamoring for MAR versions, then both of those would be OAR.

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator

This is really the only the to do imo. The other day I was at my buddy's house, he had just bought a 60in Hitachi LCD -- real nice set. He had a stack of new DvD's also, I was going through them and noticed a Fullscreen of LOTR: ROTK. I asked him about it and his response was:

"I thought fullscreen was better."

Instead of telling him he was an idiot and he didn't know how to enjoy a movie. I just said hey man you got an awesome 16x9 set you should take advantage of. Then I explained about OAR and ever since he is a OAR widescreen fanatic.

I know alot of people just want their "fool-screen" no matter what. The most we can do is just try to explain it to them. If they still don't care, at least you tried.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

No offence, but that wasn't a very legitiment reply IMO. What sells is what drives a market, be it cars, DVDs, music, etc... If people refuse to buy a release because it's fullscreen only then so be it, but guess what, you are in the minority and most studios don't give a damn because they sold enough of the fullscreen version to make the $$ they wanted. Collectors will never drive a market that also includes the masses. If they did then WS displays would be the norm instead of the anomoly in households and every single DVD would be produced exactly as it should be. Besides, as much as I would love that, I don't even know if I would want it to happen because while I would enjoy all that I got, there would be a vast # of other people who were left upset and out in the cold. Sure, they wouldn;t have any other choice but then again, why is fair for them to take what they get and be happy they got it at all when we don't follow that mindset right now.

There is a reason why Blockbuster (who sucks for a great # of reasons) carries a ton of fullscreen versions of films and there is a reason why studios continue to release them. I promise you that if it wasn't popular it wouldn't be done because it is an extra expense and I can;t think of any company in any aspect of the world that will just waste money producing something they can't sell.

As bizarre as it sounds and as unpopular as it may be around here, I'd rather have someone get a fullscreen copy of a movie and enjoy it for what it is (story, pacing, dialog, etc.) than be forced to watch the same movie in a way that will ruin it for them (even though the widescreen version is the legit version and I will always stick to that), especially if they have a smaller display.

As for educating people, I'm all for that and I've done it myself, but some people (like my sister :frowning: ) just don't care and that's their perogative and if studios want to cater to them so be it. We still get the majority of what we want and the studio fat cats get their $$. If you would rather spite yourself trying to prove some point to a studio about MAR vs. OAR than have at it, I'll be enjoying my release in the best possible format I can get, even if it isn't exactly ideal.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The terms "WS" and "FS" are misleading. On my 16x9 set, a "WS" disc often is fullscreen for my set. And using the term P and S is often inaccurate when you have a film that was shot open matte and the "WS" disc actually shows less of the image originally shot. The terms should be OAR and MAR.
And if you try to sell someone on the "more image with WS DVD" and pop in say, the VHS and then the DVD of State of Grace, you will look quite silly as the unenlightened will jump up and say, "See! I TOLD you 'dem black bars was choppin' off the top and bottom of the picture!" And since in their mind, the VHS was out first, years ago actually, it's kinda hard to explain what OAR means.
So it's not as simple as "WS" means more picture info. Sometimes it's the opposite.
And oy, try to explain Kubrick dvds...
"But you said widescreen was better...!?!?!?"
And then open THAT can of worms with OAR in theaters vs. a deceased director's preferred version for home video.
"well, why did he want them non widescreen for home video...?"

:) said all in jest, y'all.... no flames appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks