Some Flexy questions regarding hardware and materials

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RandyL, Nov 15, 2001.

1. RandyL

RandyL Agent

1) Have any of you terminated the bottom or tops of the threads into a recess in a shelf? Like for the bottom - have the bottom be a shelf with the threads above it sitting in a 3/4" deep recess (assuming a 1" piece of wood or MDF)?
    My rack will be half on tile and half on carpet, and my current store-bought rack (which also happens to be MDF) is just a piece of MDF for the base and it sits in this position just fine, doesn't tip towards the carpet side at all. I'm worried that exposed threads would also hurt the tile. I've seen that there ARE casters out there that fit a 5/8" all-thread, such as those sold by Salamander.
    2) Not being a particularly handy fellow (not yet at least) I don't know the answer to this: If I use 5/8" all-thread, what size hole do I need to cut in the shelves? 5/8"? Or 3/4"?
    I know I'm showing my ignorance in these threads... I appreciate all the help.

2. RandyL

RandyL Agent

Also another question - are 'toppers' for the 5/8" allthread readily available? I'd love to end up with a more finished look like this:
    [​IMG]
    I know that generally means having that rounded top piece part of the threaded rod, but perhaps it's also a piece you can find to add onto the all-thread.
    Any help?

3. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Randy,

The top of my rack looks just like the top of the salamander shown. I used carraige bolts through the top and recessed them.I then coupled them to the threaded rods with coupling nuts. The rods are sleeved with tubes so the rod and nuts are hidden and this may not work for you if you want the exposed rods look. On the bottom I used two layers of Birch plywood(all shelves are plywood)laminated together and finished with edge banding. The 1-1/2" bottom board provides enough thickness to completely recess the nuts threaded onto the bottom of the rods. You can then use plate mount casters if you desire.

Jason

P.S. Finish grade birch plywood with edge banding looks just like the hardwood boards used on the Salamander racks if you want to go that way.