Some Fight Club questions (Possible Spoiler)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_asai, Dec 17, 2001.

1. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

I am a fan of Fight Club and there are some parts of the movie that I didn't understand. They are:
    1. Why everything that happened in Fight Club had gotta do with Marla? I mean the collapsed of Fight Club, Jack returned to be a moody person.
    2. How did Marla was able to join the testicle cancer support group?
    3. What exactly is the fat that Tyler used to make soaps? Human's fat?
    4. Did Tyler/Jack stole Ferrari? If yes, why he didn't drive it?
    5. Who blew up Jack's house?
    Sorry, but this questions have been inside my head for a very long time. Thanks in advance, guys [​IMG]

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    You'll get better answers from others, but...
    1. Why everything that happened in Fight Club had gotta do with Marla?
    She was the spark that ignited Tyler!
    2. How did Marla was able to join the testicle cancer support group?
    They were probably happy to have a girl there.
    3. What exactly is the fat that Tyler used to make soaps? Human's fat?
    Bingo...human fat from plastic surgery patients. Cellulite[​IMG]
    4. Did Tyler/Jack stole Ferrari? If yes, why he didn't drive it?
    The DVD discusses this scene. I forget the reasoning.
    5. Who blew up Jack's house?
    Jack.
    Take care,
    Chuck
    P.S. It gets better with each viewing[​IMG]

3. kevin_asai

Thanks, Chuck!
    But why Marla sparked Tyler into Jack's life? I am confused by this [​IMG]

4. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Hey, Kevin, I'll give it a shot.
    1. I didn't think everything had to do with Marla. Could you give a more involved description of what you mean?
    2. You didn't have to explicitly "join" the group, you just had to show up and sit in.
    3. Yep.
    4. Didn't he? Again, not sure what you're asking here.
    5. Tyler did of course. [​IMG]

5. kevin_asai

Derek, thanks for your time to reply some ofmy questions but I still have some doubts.
    1. I said everything that happened in Fight Club from beginning to the end had gotta do with Marla because Jack said it at the beginning of the movie.
    4. Jack asked Tyler where is his car after their fight outside the bar and Tyler didn't answer Jack's question.

6. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

I don't remember the dvd explanation of the car, but (and of course spoilers ahead), that Tyler is a projection of Jack.

"I look how you wanna look, I fuck how you wanna fuck"

so to reason 'I drive what you wanna drive'.

Tyler responded "what car?" which is the truth, what car? It didn't exist.

Just my opinion.

7. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Marla was the spark in the same way Jack was a powder keg. He had all of this pent up energy and she set it off. Tyler was the explosion. I hope that makes more sense[​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I think its because If Marla hadent interrupted Jacks therapy Tyler probally wouldnt have appeared.

9. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

The narrator couldn't admit to himself that he wanted to be with Marla, so he created (or unleashed) Tyler.

10. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

I think that Tyler (really Jack) did steal a car outside the airport (it was a Camaro Z28 convertable) because other people saw it happen - the guy chasing after the car. Tyler probably ditched it somewhere, I mean, he already blew up his own apartment, having a new Camaro parked outside Paper Street probably wouldn't have been a good idea.

11. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

"The narrator couldn't admit to himself that he wanted to be with Marla, so he created (or unleashed) Tyler."

But Tyler was already beginning to appear to Jack before he met Marla. First we see him on the airport pedway, which wasn't a vision to Jack, it was a real person. I think Jack subconsiously stole that person's image for Tyler. Then we see Tyler in single frames 3 times before Jack actually "meets" him, during times when Jack is angry or frustrated and wants to do something his conscience won't let him do, but Tyler would.

So even before he met Marla, Jack was constructing Tyler. Meeting Marla definatly caused to initial split, but I think it would have happened anyway.

(Also, I haven't listened to the commentaries so I could be full of shit)

12. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to point out that after Marla stops in the middle of the road and says "You didn't write your name down. What is your name? Rupert? Waldo? Any of those stupid names you use at the support groups?" Of course I'm sure I messed up the quote, but you get what I mean. It is my belief that at that exact instant, Tyler fully manifested. Before that, the energy was there, but not yet fully defined or definable. He created at that instant, Tyler, to be what he wanted to be (Marla's errr lover), but was too scared to be (Marla's errr lover). As well as many other things, but that was the final impetus.
    That's what I think about the first question. Now, what were the others...
    [​IMG]

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Something to keep in mind: Tyler existed BEFORE Marla. This is NOT to say that Marla was not a big motivation to push Norton farther out there, but he was already living as Tyler at night.

The difference in the film is that at some point the Norton character suddenly became AWARE of Tyler. Before that point Tyler exists just outside the Norton consciousness, thus the Tyler inserts in the film.

Remember that the film begins with his sleep problem. Him talking about waking up strange places, etc. THAT is him living as Tyler already. That's how Tyler had time to start the soap company and so on. It's also why Norton was so tired. Instead of sleeping at night he was living as Tyler much of the time.

THEN, when he goes to the groups he becomes mentally stable (or more stable) and it surpresses his inner-need to be Tyler, thus he sleeps like a baby.

Each time Tyler appears in an insert early on is in a point of EMOTIONAL STRESS...stressing at the copier, stressing about having to interact with the group, stressing when the doc won't give him drugs...and stressing when MARLA shows up.

The final snap does NOT involve Marla we might note. Instead it is going out to see yet another horrible car wreck that he will be hiding from the public. The next sequence after that is him passing Tyler in the airport, the first "physical existence" we see. It's moved from a flash to him being someone Norton could meet. Then he tells the story to the lady on the plane, falls asleep, and wakes up to a full awareness of Tyler.

His stress over his life, his job, and his feelings for Marla perpetuate Tyler. However, the key to health for him involves resolving this stress. Getting away from the job, getting a new life, coming to understand his feelings for Marla all allow him to end up driving Tyler from himself.

The film is NOT about Tyler's philosophical rhetoric. It's about Norton getting his shit together after flipping out, a process that has begun BEFORE THE FILM BEGINS.

As for the car theft. Norton took it as Tyler. It is NOT the only time he resolves 2 actions he did at different times occuring at the same time. Consider the BUILDING OF THE BUNKS. He hears Tyler working while talking to Marla, but of course he already built the bunks as Tyler sometime previous to that. Same with the car. Steals it later, but resolves it as a Tyler action at the same time, just outside his awareness even as he doesn't SEE Tyler do it.

Sort of a vague memory, a left over piece of a dream maybe.

To recap, some think Tyler is born from his sleep problem, but it is presented in the film such that the coming of Tyler has created sleep problems for Norton. Tyler comes first (in his subconscious), he can't sleep, he stresses even more and then becomes aware of his alter-ego, although he thinks it's another person (as many multi-personality people do).

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

BTW, watch the film again.

Marla doesn't dissappear and Norton doesn't NOT tell her his name. The scene simply cuts just as the bus passes. The IMPLICATION to the audience is that she dissappears and he gets no chance to answer.

However, in reality it's very likely that he gives her his name as Tyler right then. We don't get to see the rest of the exchange by a clever edit.

Not unlike the "implication tricks" employed in the 6th Sense.

15. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

I have seen it a dozen times or so, but thank you. [​IMG]
    As I said, it was just my belief that that instant was when Tyler crystalized as a complete separate entity (as much as one body will allow) and that he had more reign to exist as a fully functioning individual. Now, I say this also realizing that he had held down night jobs for quite a while and that also had been renting the Paper Street house for around a year. Tyler definitely existed, but only at the periphery. That's all I was trying to say.

16. kevin_asai

I've watched Fight Club more than 5 times. New ideas or concepts of the movie keep on appearing inside my head so I am quite confused by it [​IMG]

17. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Tyler, I wasn't talking explicitly to you really.
    It just happens that I took it for granted the first 6-7 viewings that she didn't wait for the answer. Then upon the next viewing I suddenly noticed this.
    So my point was to all fans that if they didn't catch this yet, go watch it again. The edit can really slip the moment by you in a different way.
    However, that aspect has little to do regarding the birth of Tyler one way or the other, just pointing out that the scene plays differently than it is really shown thanks to the direction.
    the "watch the film again" really was for anyone reading who didn't notice that aspect. [​IMG]

18. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Although we don't see Jack give Marla his name and number we can assume he gives her the Paper Street number and Tyler as his name.

I think we can assume this because Marla calls him at Paper Street after he had disappeared from the various group meetings and she knew him as Tyler (which Jack discovers as he begins to "wake up").

19. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

Todd,

We can assume he gives his name as Tyler, however when Marla calls him at Paper st, Jack (Norton) asks her how she got that number and she says you left a forwarding number. Tyler blew up his apartment so Jack would be forced to move to Paper st full time. So he probably gave her his business card with the Condo phone number and his real name.

...and that's how she met Tyler Durden.

20. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

What Tim said.

And the thing is that before this shot finally clicked for me I just thought he gave her his name later after Norton became aware of Tyler.

And because of the edit theres nothing to say for sure he DID give it then, just that it appears to be intentionally hidden from the audience.

And the great thing is that it's done so that she looks like the freak who just dissappears, which is what we are led to believe anyway so we fall for it.