What's new

Some DVD Questions.. (1 Viewer)

MikeMas**

Auditioning
Hello everyone,
I have a few questions that I know you all can answer.

1) What causes a DVD to stutter? Almost like its stuck then it tries to go - sometimes it goes on, sometimes it just sits there like its on pause, left there long enough it will 'Jump' to another area in the film. I thought maybe a dirty disc but it happens on new discs and even after a good cleaning. Odd thing though is that if I stop it and replay it it wont stick in that point anymore but will usually find another place to do it in.

2)Should I use 5.1 Input to the Receiver or a Coaxial to Receiver for the sound?

3)Right now I have 5.1, I have bookcase speakers for front and back (Klipse). I was thinking about buying 2 other speakers for the back and moving the book case ones to the sides to enable that A+B Speaker thing on the Receiver. Is this a good idea? My theatre room is about 15x30 feet. What sort of speakers should I use for the rear or the sides or does it matter?

And lastly Ive picked up alot of great info here already, what is the best Caliberation Disc to get? I saw one poster suggest Avia.

Thanks!!
:)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Both will achieve the same thing... so it's a matter of pref. Realize that hooking up via the 5.1 input means the DVD player's decoders will be used for audio, hooking up via digital means the Receiver's converters will be used- in some cases, this might make a difference- and the only way to know is to try, and decide your pref.

-Vince

MikeMas**

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice, I guess thats the only to be sure. And that Primer Link is the BEST!!

EDIT:One last thing what is everyones preference on the Caliberation Discs?
Avia is like $45, DVE is like $18, then theres a SOund and Vision one for like $12.
Any thoughts or opinions on these?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Comes up often:

My recommendation is:

DVE is good, has a lot of tests, but is a bit obtuse and difficult to navigate. It is sort of the "techy" version-- but might frustrate those who are looking for the basics or dan't get the workings of dvd navigation.

S&V is made by Ovation, the AVIA people, targeted at the beginner- very simple, half the tests are removed, easy navigation, simple instructions- but lacking in more advanced tests and calibration tools.

Avia is the middle ground- not as much stuff as DVE, but easier t navigate and understand.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks