Some do... and some don't.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chris:L, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

What to say... what to say..

Why are some shows like The Dick Van Dyke Show released in their entirity no matter what the sales are.. and shows like The Mary Tyler Moore show, which are promosised entirity... but the promises are never kept. Just a thought... because I find it funny that all four seasons of Mork & Mindy will be released no matter what... and why are some shows given this promise when others aren't?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Different vendors with different sales expectations. Image is evidently willing to make do with significantly lower sales of Dick Van Dyke than Fox will accept for Mary Tyler Moore.

3. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

Yeah Fox is kind of greedy. Perhaps that explains why we haven't seen Batman the TV show on DVD yet. They seem to want to refuse to give up the rights to the TV syndication of the show, in return for a DVD deal with Warners. Anyway, it disgusts me to see greedy companies like that. It's too bad Image didn't own the rights to the Mary Tyler Moore Show, because if they did, we would've had the complete show on DVD by now.

4. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Who promised you MTM would be released? Where did you read all 4 seasons of Mork & Mindy would be released?

The only shows I know of that were announced all at once (not including single season shows) are Star Trek: TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Dick Van Dyke wasn't announced all at once.

Chris, I don't understand why you can't comprehend that companies release this stuff to make money. While they believe they'll sell enough copies to continue with it, if the marketplace doesn't move the product then they won't continue with it. You complain about the same thing over and over in different ways and ignore the information other give to you.

Gord

5. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Would someone please tell me when fox guaranteed MTM would be released in its entirity?

Also, it is my understanding that in order to secure the rights to the Dick Van Dyke Show, Image Entertainment had to guarantee that all 5 seasons would be released.

Plus, image is a smaller company and can afford to put more care and effort in to a specific TV show like the Dick Van Dyke Show, whereas Fox has so much more in terms of properties that they have to be more careful.

6. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Where'd you read that about Mork and Mindy?

Unless the contract states it, even if a company promises a full series, they won't deliver if sales are poor. King of the Hill season three was advertised for spring 2004. We haven't even had an announcement yet.

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's Chris:L...cut him some slack. [​IMG]

8. Chris:L

Look, I didn't pull the concept out of my head that all four seasons of Mork & Mindy were being planned to come out. I think I read it in the Warner Brothers chat if I'm not mistaken.

As for MTM, I read somewhere on one of these posts at HTF that it was promised. Look guys, I'm not STUPID... as Gord thinks I am. I'm just reading up on things. If any of the sources I'm reading are false... don't call me stupid.

I read a quote somewhere.. and I can't pinpoint the source but it was something like "Robin Williams' fans will not be disappointed."

So... I guess I am really stupid.

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I'd like to know this myself.

Possibly, Chris is thinking of this FOX webpage, which still shows a "Coming Soon" blurb re. MTM-#2. Plus: there's also the "Coming in March 2003" insert card placed in all MTM-1 boxed sets.

BTW...Has anyone purchased an MTM-1 set in the last few months? If so, I'm just curious as to whether that "Season Two Coming In 2003" insert is still being placed in the MTM-1 packages?

Or, since it didn't sell well, do you think MTM-1 is STILL being sold from its very first "run" or pressing? (Having no need for a second run.)

How many DVD units are usually "run off" the assembly line for the initial run/release? Anybody know? I suppose it varies by company, right?

10. Chris:L

Okay, so MTM wasn't promised... I sure it was there intention to release them all if the sales were good. But then again, that's all production comapanies intentions if the sales are good to any of the shows they release.

Of course Star Trek was promised... that's a cash cow. Maybe I've been mislead with the M&M news I've read. Can anyone clear that rumor for me?

11. Casey Trowbridg

I did some digging no need to thank me.

I really thought the use of words like if they had, or they would have, would help clarify that this wasn’t what actually happened but I was wrong.

So, I will state once again that to my knowledge Fox did not announce that all 7 seasons of the Mary Tyler Moore Show would be released and that my quote from that other thread was meant as an example of what might have happned had they actually done such a thing and still had the set bomb.

12. Chris:L

Thanks for covering my back Casey.. but, don't feel responsible for bad.

I've been wondering, and sorry Gord if I seem to be complaining about the same thing over and over and over again, but... Do production companies such as Warner and Paramount consider that fans sometimes feel initial insecurity toward a release? Hypothetically speaking, say that Happy Days comes out.. and say that I'm one of those types that feel that they should only invest their time and money in going to the store and picking up the first season if the second season comes out... now I know that money is everything to these production companies.. what my question is... does this ever cross their mind before they release something?

The first season release of a tv show is really like a pilot to a tv show. if it sells then they'll continue...

13. Casey Trowbridg

Your welcome Chris

Well, I'm not Gord but I'm going to guess that the studios do consider that some people won't buy right away for the reason you mentioned. In fact this board is read by a lot of studio people so I know that they've seen these types of discussions before. But the problem is that the studio can't know how many people avoiding the show because they're waiting for it all, and how many are just simply avoiding the show because they have no intention of buying it.
    If season 1 of Happy Days does not sell what they think it will, then the studios have to ask themselves ok is it because people want to buy it all and are waiting or do people just not want it at all. The answer to that will be awfully hard to find out, and they can't really move forward and release future seasons based on a guess as to why people aren't buying the set. What if they released all the seasons of a show over time assuming that a number of people would buy it all once they were all out and that would make the show profitable, and yet they still guessed wrong and that didn't happen then they've lost a lot more money.
    It is true that the production studios are in the business of making money, it comes with being a business. Yet, they have obligations to stock holders and the like and that obligation is to make good business decisions. If you were a stockholder in 1 of these studios and you found out that it was making wrong decisions and releasing TV shows that weren't making money, and that was devaluing the stock price which in turn means that your losing money then you'd be a little upset.
    Plus, if the studios aren't making money then they can't release anything. What if a studio lost money on a TV show and because of that loss they were unable to afford releasing another show? What if say Paramount released Frasier and it lost money which meant that the budget had to be reworked and that meant that Happy Days had to be shelved?
    I don't fault people that have a harder time grasping some of this stuff. It is more complex than many people want to make it out to be, these studios don't just have a license to print money and have unlimited resources. So, basically don't get down on yourself because there's parts of this that your having trouble grasping.
    Also remember that what is true for Paramount or RFox may not be true for Warner or Columbia which might also then not be true for Image or MGM.
    Most of us didn't just wake up 1 day knowing this. I make these statements based on what I've read at HTF or on the DVD websites like the Digital Bits, or that TVShowsOnDVD.com site that I've heard mention of, and from other sources like Video Business magazine. I highly recommend Video Business Online
    But, guys like Gord didn’t just wake up 1 day knowing all this stuff either. He talks to the people that work on these sets and have to make these decisions. He and guys like Randy Salas go to different conferences and events and have different contacts in the industry. They learn things and share their knowledge with others and then we share it with others, its basically a chain of events. Even the current decision makers at these studios had to start somewhere, and they to had to learn how to make good business decisions.
    I’m not trying to speak for Gord or Randy and I’m sure they could explain this all better but with less words than I just used, but the point is that it really can be more complex than we want it to be sometimes.

14. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I think the studios have created this "Catch-22" situation for TV on DVD buyers: What is the sense of buying Season One of a show if no other seasons may be released? At $30-$50 a pop for a season set, I may choose to spend my money on another title. Yet if I DON'T buy Season One, subsequent seasons may never be released. We're caught between a rock and a hard place, if you ask me.

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The "sense" of it is to enjoy the first season of a show you presumably like enough to want to own the entire series. Why deny yourself the pleasure of owning part of a series you love, just because there are no guarantees you'll own the whole thing? Sorry, but the logic escapes me.

M.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Collector's mentality, I guess. You see it in the TV area with the "I won't even bother watching what looks like a good show on Fox because..." posts. I see it a bunch on comic book message boards, as well: We (as a group) just don't seem to grasp the "I'll take what I can get" mentality because many feel that the collecting is as much fun as the having.

It's silly, I think, but there it is.

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Precisely my point.

M.

18. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd go with being a fan, rather than a collector. But as a fan it would be extremely frustrating to just end up with one season. Like - what am I supposed to do now?

Like win the lottery so I can pick up another thousand sets or whatever so they'll release the rest of it? Get a job a the studio where I'll only learn that it didn't get released because there's no money in it?

Eric - You said it right - a rock and a hard place.

19. Chris:L

Hope and emotions get entangled with releases of a tv show. Simple as that.

20. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

My frustration with this practice is based on Mary Tyler Moore Show. The marketplace is being FLOODED with TV boxed sets. How many first season boxed sets are we going to see that never get a subsequent release? Far too many I suspect. I think that we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg on this problem.

As far as the "collector" argument goes, I'll bet that there are quite a few out there that are picking up Matrix Revolutions just to complete the trilogy, despite being a pretty weak film. (And they would be complaining if it didn't get released because it did considerably less business than the first two.)