Some Dish Network HDTV/Sony VW10HT Screenshots

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RAF, Sep 17, 2001.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I recently installed a Dish Network, complete with Model 6000 HDTV receiver to take advantage of the HDTV capabilities of my projector. This past week I was going to update my HT web site with some information regarding this project as well as a couple of other enhancements to my HT. However, the tragic events of the week completely occupied my time and now I feel I won't be able to revise my web site until I return from the HTF L.A. Meet.
    However, before I go I wanted to share some screen shots with those of you who are curious about how this combination can look.
    The images were projected from the Dish HDTV Demo Loop via my Sony VW10HT projector onto a Stewart StudioTek 130 16:9 screen (110" diagonal) using a Canon Pro90IS Digital Camera.
    A few caveats:
    [*]Unlike the screen shots on my web site involving DVD's, where I could take advantage of the PAUSE control to get a clearer image, there is no "pause" function for my HDTV source material. Therefore there is bound to be a bit of bluriness due to movement.
    [*]The camera tends to favor the green end of the spectrum a bit so the color renditions on these unretouched photos may reflect this a bit.
    [*]Since taking these pictures I have "tweaked" the VW10HT a bit more to remove a slight bluish/purplish cast that the Dish 6000 produces. The new settings are retained in the projector's memory so this is now completely seamless. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to redo the sample pictures after this.
    In other words, the in person experience is even better than the four samples shown below, but they should at least give you some sense of the image quality.
    I'm a happy camper.
    Here are the 4 shots. If I ever get a chance to update my website I'll include some additional pictures and explanations.
    Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    OUTSTANDING!!!!! I get my DISH installed today...can't wait to see it on my 400Q!
    Once again RAF, you ARE my hero!!!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic

3. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

Very cool pics. Does your projector have that pastel look that most LCD's seem to have?

4. SamE

SamE Auditioning

Makes me wish I had 10K to spend on that set-up [​IMG]
    But my Panasonic 36HX41 HDTV will have to due for the next few years.
    -Sam E

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Well..the rocket scientist installers have ONE DAMN truck!!!! And it broke down on the NJ Turnpike coming in from Philly!!! Now considering I like 3 hours from Philly...
    ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
    Sending someone closer thursday!

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

quote: Once again RAF, you ARE my hero!!!!![/quote]
    Scooter,
    And, of course, the feeling is mutual. You are a true HT junky! Let me know how it looks on the 400Q.
    To whet your appetite even more, the craziness continues. With the recent tragic events, I decided not to fly to L.A. (hassles at the airport, possibly having to check my laptop, etc. etc.) So....
    I'm hopping in the car in the morning and driving to L.A. for the HTF meet. Hey, retired guys can do this! Look out America, here I come!
    quote: Makes me wish I had 10K to spend on that set-up[/quote]
    SamE,
    The current street price for the VW10HT is around $4500 so $10K is not necessary. True, I use a rather expensive Stewart StudioTek 130 screen, but lots of people (like Scooter!) get excellent results with their LCD projectors painting a wall.
    quote: Does your projector have that pastel look that most LCD's seem to have?[/quote]
    Rutledge,
    My VW10HT does not have a pastel look. But this is due to me tweaking the colors on the unit, since the Sony has an amazing range of adjustment possibilities.
    Are you referring to the color when using the output from a Dish 6000? When I first connected the 6000 there was a blue/purplish look, but this was quickly corrected by adjusting the red and blue settings in the service menu on the VW10HT and saving the settings to a video memory that is keyed to the 6000 input on the VW10HT. Totally seamless and extremely convenient. One color setting for DVD's and another for the HDTV/6000.
    Like I said, the actual picture looks even better than the images I published here. Just ask Ron or Parker. They stopped by for a visit during "Scooterfest 2001" weekend, when I had just installed the Dish. (They raved about it in a hardware forum thread located at
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/042911.html
    and, ironically, they were looking at the picture before I tweaked the color for an even better picture!)
    ------------------
    RAF
    ["PITA" since 1942]

7. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    WOW!!!! This KICKS ASS!!!!!!
    Got it installed today....rain and all..and WOW..am I impressed!
    Can't wait to see prime time CBS this evening!
    ------------------
    David Manning-Critic

8. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Scooter,
    I used to have a 400Q hooked up to my Dish 6000. I agree it looks excellent. I can hardly tell the difference between it and my CRT projector from normal viewing distances. The only place the CRT was better was blacks. But the picture was brighter with the 400Q.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

9. RobertB

RobertB Auditioning

I just installed a Dish system 6000 and have been enjoying HBO and Showtime HD. What channel is the HD demo loop on .. . .I cannot seem to find it. BTW, your setup sounds great. Enjoy!
    Thanks
    Robert

10. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

11. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    RAF, are you using any line doublers or anything? In any case the picture looks fabulous!! Chris
    ------------------
    Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net

12. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Chris,
    HDTV scan rates do not require a line doubler as they are already at least twice the scan rate of 480I video.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

13. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Marc,
    Wow! I didn't really this (being on the East Coast and using the 61.5 bird). I wonder why DISH didn't provide the demo loop for people using the 148 dish??? Doesn't make any sense. In a related area, I'm a little disappointed that the sound track on the Dish HDDemo is so poor. This demo really calls for a full DD5.1 soundtrack to complement the excellent images. I've e-mailed them about this (and called the Charlie Chat. They said they'd "pass on the information" which is probably dead letter stuff.)
    Oh well. Eventually they'll create a new demo and maybe someone there has an audio clue.
    ------------------
    RAF
    ["PITA" since 1942]

14. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    R.A.F.:
    Actually I have had HiDef for over a year now..via a Unity Motion reciever and my C-Band dish. Would get ABC and, on the DTV side, UPN. The local cable (BLECH!) company sent the last SuperBowl down the line...so ONCE I got it from cable.
    I can only hope that DISH signs on more networks...and then I am in HD Heaven!
    ------------------
    David Manning-Critic

15. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I knew I should have talked to you at the Scooterfest! How does the HD from Dish compare to what you already had?
    Talk to you later. Back on the road to L.A. this morning....
    ------------------
    RAF
    ["PITA" since 1942]

16. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Scooter-
    I'd love to hear how your HD Dish fares with the 400Q,
    since the 400Q only accepts 1080i directly (or maybe that's "enough", and progressive scan capability isn't even necessary for HD satellite?).
    I have that projector as well, but have not yet gotten a satellite feed for it (making do with cable on the TVs in the rest of the house).
    I helped a friend get an HD/HT setup last night, which has inspired me to get cracking on an HD satellite hookup for my HT.