Some Direct Tv Questions...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alan Erceg, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

alright so I finally bit the bullet and ordered Direct Tv.

I just got the standard two receivers(no tivo), dish and free professional standard installation.

My question is this what is exactly included in the free standard professional installation. Does that include setting up the dish etc.

Im just looking for some tips from anyone who has had Direc Tv installed before and what there experience was on the setup.

Its not getting set up till next Friday so I have plenty of times to get things ready. There is an old dish on our roof(its a DISH network dish, not Direct Tv) from the people who used to live here. Would that have to be removed or could they just put up a direct tv dish..

Any thoughts/ comments welcome...

Thanks,
    Alan

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Normally what occurs is that they will include Free standard installation. That means they will setup everything including the dish but they will be doing that whichever way is easiest. An Example would be that you may want say the Cable run through the wall to an Outlet but what they will do is punch a hole in the floor instead. Another would be if you have a 2 story house they may mount it at ground level or on a pole instead of up high and out of the way. Part of it will depend on how nice the installer is when they come out. I have had to deal with guys who dont want to do any extra work and then there are others who go out of their way to make sure its how you want it to be.

They can just put up the new Dish although most likely it would be just as easy for them to take down the old and mount this one to the same point then use the existing Coaxial cable. This way they dont have to run another cable again and it will mean less work but again this is up to the installer.

KyleS

3. Alan Erceg

Kyle,

Thanks for the reply. I dont mind paying for installation if its something complex that has to be done. We do have a 2 story house and the old dish is mounted right outside my bedroom window.

How much would installation be do you think if they have to do extra...50 to 100?

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Our installer was great. He picked the best location and when I questioned it, he explained how the location he picked would result in the least amount of exposed cable outside the house. He also suggested that since he had to run two cables for my tivo box (dual tuners) that he would leave my Comcast Cable cable active in that location. Since we were keeping the Comcast active for internet, I also have the option of hooking the tv up to the Comcast if my directv ever goes out. I have hooked it up a couple of times to trouble shoot my directv box or to make sure my internet was still running. Our dish is at ground level. The installer said a benefit was that we could clean it of snow and ice if necessary. It is next to my deck and very unobtrusive.

PS - I would suggest you get tivo. I think right now you can get the 40 gig box for free ($50 and full rebate), then it just costs you $5 a month. It is well worth it to not have to deal with vcr tapes, the ability to pause live programming, see shows on your own schedule. Plus, if you decide to do it later, you'll have to pay to run another cable for the second tuner. Might as well have them do it for free now. Good luck.

5. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

it will mean less work but again this is up to the installer

only partially up to the installer, you have the right to set the installation parameters yourself although if they pull cables through walls, etc there can be surcharges for the additional time/materials you need to discuss before he starts.

When I upgraded my Round Direct Dish for the triple LNB oval for HD, I called D* and made it clear that the installer needed to be aware that the Dish was on our non-attached Garage 2nd Story Roof. Since it was not my first rodeo, I made sure the CS included into service notes the notation that the installer would need a 25' ladder, for this upgrade. The CS rep said no prob. and no additional charge to put the dish where the existing dish was.

I was out picking up lunch to go, when the installer arrived, a friend who was over helping with filing, let him in. I had asked her to point him to the garage to get started if he arrived the 15-min I was out.

She called my cell and said the installer is here but he says he is going to install the new dish on the roof of your one story house. I was 2 min. away, Asked her to tell him politely, do NOT install on the house, and if he would wait I would be there momentarily to discuss the issue. Arrived, and I explained why once, but he insisted, he knew "best" and it was the 'best' install for him to just “pop it” on the one story roof and drill for new cable.

Very politely, I pointed out, that I had been clear with D* that this was a 2-story 23 ft from ground installation and I apologized for any inconvenience over a wasted trip, I had done my best on the phone with the CS rep to assure troubleshooting the install before the installer arrived. He said yes it was in his Service Notes, but he had decided he was just going to leave the old dish and cabling up, attach the new dish to the 1-story house running cable across the exterior of the home and jabbing a hole through the exterior front of the house to come into to the area. I VERY politely told him no, Leave the dish and we will install ourselves. He argued and said that HE had to install it, and that was how he had decided he was going to do it.

I explained (again) the current dish had been moved from the house to the 2nd story garage due to line-of-sight issues with large trees and the trees were even larger. I was not going to let him poke new holes in a area that had no line of sight.

Sigh... Sometimes I’m just so mean to these guys! [​IMG]

Seriously, I was extremely polite and mild-mannered {but} very firm. It slowly dawned on him, he was either going to put the new dish up at the site of the old, or leave and let me sort it out with D* later regarding mailing the new dish back to us, as a self-install, so we could get the upgrade completed properly.

That was just the beginning of our fun as I was one of his first HD installations…..but that’s…another story.

6. Alan Erceg

Thanks for all the replies...

Reason I posted this is that this is my first adventure into anything other than cable. Like I said I dont mind have to pay for more than the "standard" installation if thats what it takes to get it done right the first time. Also as i said earlier there is a Dish sitting on our lower roof of our 2 story house directly outside of where my bedroom window is. I would assume that would be the best place to put the Direct Tv dish as well. Our neighbors have a Direct Tv dish on the lower part of there house and said they have had no issues with it.

I didnt go for the Tivo only because I honsetly dont watch a whole heckuva lot of tv especially primetime tv. I work late shift, so I dont get home till after midnight. I am always home to watch football on sundays so that wont make a difference for me, and I havent had a vcr hooked up in the house for about 3 years now.

Im just hoping everything goes smoothly. I still have to keep the cable line as I do have comcast for my internet as well as cable right now.

That shouldnt be a problem should it? Other than Comcast charging me more per month since I wont be a cable subscriber anymore.

Thanks and keep the suggestions/comments coming...

7. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

No, just tell the installer to leave your comcast connection separate from the lines where you will be using the satellite. BTW, you can save like $2 a month by keeping basic cable for $12.99 or whatever they charge because you still get the $15 credit for being a cable subscriber with your internet. I know it's not much, but it's something. As I mentioned, I also had them leave one other cable line active as a backup.

8. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

Ask the installer where the cables are going to enter the house and how it will be run inside the house.

it's your house,make sure you are happy with his answers before the install begins.

9. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

I actually went up to the attic and figured out where all the drops would be as well as poked a hole in the drywall where the cable was going to be dropped. I told my DirecTV installer where I would want the drop and he place the dish up and drilled the hole to the attic.. but I had to do the drop or he would have to charge. Being a cheapsake I did the drop myself. Also note that it's better to do it before they get there.