Some cool LFE in "The Forgotten" trailer on the Hellboy DVD.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by George_W_K, Jul 28, 2004.

1. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    For anyone who hasn't picked up the DVD or rented it yet, there is a trailer for a movie called "The Forgotten". Man oh man, it surprised the heck out of me with some really low bass. I didn't really hear it at first, but my house rattled good enough. And there was a ton of air coming out of the ports on my PB2+. I think this is going to become yet another demo piece for me! Check it out if you can. And if anyone has the capability to do a waterfall chart and would be willing to measure the trailer, I'd be interested in the results.

I also thought the teaser for Resident Evil 2 had some nice bass at the end, although not as low.

I just thought I'd point this out to those that care.[​IMG]

Geo

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I noticed that one of the trailers for HB on the Big Fish DVD was 6.1 [​IMG] Hellboy has some cool bass in it as well. I think the one to watch for later will be I, Robot DVD. There were a few nice LFE scenes [​IMG] I skipped through The Forgotten trailer, because I saw it in the theater; I'll have to revisit it...

3. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i rented and watched hellboy for the first time last night. i actually noticed the bass from that trailer as well. it was nice, low and not boomy.

however, i thought hellboy was crap. not only was the movie pretty mediocre, but the bass was really sloppy. sometimes it was nice, but it was your typical "let's add a 40hz rumble in all action scenes". good workout for the subs, but not a reference [​IMG]

but that trailer was rad.

4. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    We are watching Hellboy now, and are getting 116 dB peaks at 2.5 meters and 25 Hz... Robert, perhaps a larger subwoofer would help ?...[​IMG]

5. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George

Oh, here we go, using the metric system! [​IMG]

Anyway, I liked the movie, and the soundtrack was pretty good, but I've come to expect more after we've had so many great HT demo material choices the past couple of years. However, maybe the DC will have the better soundtrack, like LOTR: EE. What I'm trying to say is that although the bass was good in Hellboy, I'd say overall the soundtrack was average.

Craig, if you get a chance, could you measure the peaks of the trailer?

6. Robert Cowan

craig,

ive got dual velodyne HGS-15x's [​IMG] bigger isnt an issue. i was getting almost 115dB, this is with the sub on 1/4 power (thats where its calibrated for the room). it was just a bit too much like droning for me.

oh, btw, my 115dB measurement was AT my listening position, a good 10 ft away from each sub.

oh, and btw, after getting my new subs, i still think the darla scene in finding nemo sucks [​IMG]

7. Robert Cowan

my cheap-o ratshack meter was measuring about 112dB at 5ft away or so. this was at my normal listening level.

oh, my second sub got sent back to velodyne yesterday, so that was just the single sub [​IMG]

they are new and still need breaking in, they arent as strong with lower bass.

8. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Robert, I know you have the dual Velos... I was teasing you for only getting 40 Hz from "Hellboy" ... The deepest bass scene we got was 109 dB at 18 Hz... This was with dialog at 75 dB ... This is one of the best Bass soundtracks I have ever heard and measured...[​IMG]

9. Robert Cowan

really? maybe the movie just spoiled me. i dunno, ive just heard better. im too picky.

after a month or so, im going to recalibrate these things, and see what the FR is then. glad you like the movie though. i just didnt get into it.

10. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Please Make sure you post graphs, It would be cool to see how the 15's stack up against our old FSR-18's ... Which software package do you measure with ?

11. Robert Cowan

haha, software? i just have a ratshack meter, and for test tones i have a computer program, cant remember the name. i do very little testing. i just did a sweep to calibrate. thats about it [​IMG] i do this stuff for a living, so its all by ear now.

you would be surprised that with practice, you can calibrate a surround system to within 0.5dB with your ears, even guessing the values beforehand. i havent even owned a meter until a few days ago.

12. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Ok then.

13. Robert Cowan

i dont like eq'ing much (im a shorter signal path kinda guy), and i dont sell em, so i dont get too involved in it. for my purposes, im more of a placement and room treatment guy, so the ear is an important tool.

craig, i did not at ALL mean to diminish the importance of actual setup methods beyond what i describe. i just have a great room and flexible placement, so i dont need anything extra.

14. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Robert, I am sure you are a great guy. When someone tells me he can calibrate a surround system to a 0.5 dB tolerance by ear, and has subwoofers with a 1 dB flucuation, in room, for frequency response, I am just totally at a loss.

I have learned through experience that some topics are just not good conversation.... no good can come from them.

15. Robert Cowan

agreed. but, this isnt just a hobby, its how i make a living, and im good at what i do. i am with you, i dont want to discuss it, but i am telling the truth, im not lying to you [​IMG]

16. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Robert, I do not think you are lying. I think you really believe you can hear that your Velodyne subs are within a 1 dB tolerance over their frequency range in your room, and that you believe your ears are sensitive enough to make that distinction. And that you believe your room has no resonances to cause the Velos to vary from that 1 dB tolerance.

I think you also genuinely believe you can calibrate a surround system with a 0.5 dB tolerance using just your ears.

Since the only way to prove or disprove what you are saying is for someone to come to your home and measure the in room response of your system with a carefully calibrated microphone and some decent software (LEAP, ETF, even TrueRTA) after you have calibrated it by ear, we will never know.

17. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Thats funny, my girlfirend and I just rented Hellboy last night too. I thought it was pretty good in the Bass dept as i had some things shaking in the house, which would have been a lot better if my left front channel was working by the way! ughh! I thought the movie was pretty good too.

Regarding the original topic of the thread, yes that trailer did have real nice smooth&deep bass, no doubt. Looks like a pretty good movie too.

As far as Good Bass in movies I really like the last Jurassic Park DVD. The movie itself is very poor but the side I get from it is great! Good demo movie IMO.

18. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I watch Hellboy last night and i must say that the audio track was flawless IMO. Great panning, plenty of surround useage and some nice subsonic low end wtih my HT geting preasurized at times. The trailer "The Forgotten" had some great subsonic bass in it real clean.

19. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I thought HB was not a spectacular movie, but very entertaining and the sound was a big part of that. I enjoyed it.

20. Vital

Vital Extra

I really liked HB and thought the soundtrack rocked.