Some coaxial splitter better than Ratshack's one?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Vince F, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Vince F

Vince F Auditioning

Hi there I'm new to the forum :b I wonder is there any low cost splitter that gives better signal splitting for the coaxial(F plug from CATV)? I have both of my TV and cable modem on that the noise is really huge(1 is 3.5db and 1 is 7.5db) that sometimes kick my internet down and really lots of noise for the TV. Also within 20 dollars would be great for the recommendation, thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Vince, I think your talking about signal loss not noise.
    It sounds like you have two tv's and a cable modem being fed from an unbalanced three way which will lose 3.5 on one leg and 7.5 on the other two. Another option would be a regular three way which will lose about 5.5 db on each leg
    I think you'll find that all splitters, regardless of who makes them lose about the same amount of signal.
    I'm guessing that the internet connection stops working and you have a poor picture on your TV's. It's an indicator that there may not be enough signal coming into your house and it is very likely that the installer knew that when he was there and used the unbalanced splitter hoping to mask the problem rather than fixing it.
    Before you change the splitter which will probably not fix your problem I would get cable company out to fix the problem which is more likely the line coming to your house or the tap outside and not the splitter.
    If you have a situation wher you have more than one splitter in your house you need to eliminate one and bring all the lines back to one point. e.g. a two way splitter with one leg feeding the modem and another feeding a four way the loss to the TV's would be huge and result in a poor picture. Ideally you will have one splitter with no ouput than the number of outlets you have.

3. Vince F

Vince F Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Jim. The reason that I'm having 3.5db and 7.5db on the splitter because the modem is too sensitive to the signal noise that I splitted from the original one into 2way splitter(which is 3.5db) then one to the cable modem another one to the other splitter(7.5db's one) then connect 2 tvs from there.
    This siutation can be used temporarily because the signals are really bad. There's lots of chokes for my modem and some channels are not even able to watch on TV. I also tried to feed the direct signal into the modem and the TV and both work really great(no chokes, better signal for tv, basically just what I'm looking for but splitted into feed all the modem and TVs). So I believe it's not the problem of the cable satallite but the splitter. Any ideas for solving that?

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

You may not be getting a strong enough signal from outside. I had a similar problem over the summer and the cable company has to rewire my house on the outside. You just may have to give them a call and tell them your problem, they are responsible to send you the proper signal for your subscription.

5. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Vince, what you might want to try first is one three way splitter. From your description you have a two way splitter feeding a four way splitter with one leg of the two way feeding the modem and another feeding the four way for the two TV's.
    If you do the math you'll find that you lose 11 db just through those two splitters. I can only guess but if everything else is up to snuff the signal at the back of your TV's is probably somewhere around zero or maybe less. I'm also guessing that the four way splitter has some ports on it with nothing attached. This can also potentially cause some picture problems.
    I work for Time Warner in Milwaukee and I know that we offer our customers splitters and cable at our payment centers for free if they ask.
    Ultimately I think Wayne has nailed it on this one. Call your cable company and schedule a service call because the problem you're describing sounds like a low signal issue and it is not likely anything a new splitter will fix. The tech will want to make sure that there is enough signal coming into your house. Now I can't say for certain what that is but the tech should be able to figure that out. There could be a problem out in the cable system, at the tap, or it could just be the line running from the tap to your house. Regardless of what it is they need to take care of it.
    I work in the quality control dept. for Time Warner here in Milwaukee and have seen and heard enough to know the bad reputaion the cable industry has is probably one they deserve. I have very little tolerance for techs not doing thier job and leaving the customer with poor service. My advice to you is if the first tech is unable to resolve the issue or at least get a handle on it and give you a time when you can expect it to be repaired is to become a major pain in the butt. It's unfortunate but sometimes that is what it takes.

6. Vince F

Vince F Auditioning

Thanks for the information. Yes I didn't plug in the 4way splitter completely because I couldn't even connect the cable from the wall into the 4way splitter directly, the signal loss/noise is too large for the cable modem(7.5db) that the modem is unable to get on internet with that connection. I'll try to get a 3way splitter before I call the cable company to rewire the connection. Thanks alot [​IMG]

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

And examine your connections/connectors carefully while you're at it. I'm assuming you're using screw on connectors and you want to make sure you've got both a nice looking piece of copper sticking out and that you've screwed that on tightly (finger tight and then may 1/8 - 1/4 turn with a wrench). You don't want it so taught that it's placing excessive tension.