some Clerks X DVD details

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marc Bax, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Well I like most of this information, however the part at the end about the 3 hour doc "Oh what a lovely tea party" possibly being omitted doesn't sit well with me. I thought this was a confirmed extra? For now I guess I'll just have to hope it's amongst the 3 DVD's. I don't see why it wouldn't be as space obviously won't be an issue. As for being included in a "future View Askew DVD" what future DVD could that be? I think it'll show up unless there's some legal issues holding it up. Anyways here's the info taken from News Askew.

USA TODAY reports that the Clerks X DVD will arrive in stores a week earlier than we'd been reporting. The date is now OFFICIALLY September 7, 2004, a week before Jersey Girl's first DVD release. This set not only celebrates Clerks, but also View Askew's 10 years in the film business, and thus is the largest set to ever arrive. At a whopping THREE DVDs, it's now confirmed that there will be two full versions of the film (the original and extended cuts), Kevin and Scott's first film "Mae Day", and heaps more. Here's the article:
    'Clerks' anniversary edition does overtime
    To mark the anniversary of Kevin Smith's debut film, Miramax is releasing a three-disc Clerks: 10th Anniversary Edition (Sept. 7, $29.99) with two versions of the movie: the theatrical release and the original, which is about 10 minutes longer and has a new commentary from Smith and cast members.

Other extras include a documentary about the film; audition tapes; an animated missing scene; Smith's student film project, Mae Day: The Crumbling of a Documentary; and some of his journals.

"I found the journal I kept at Sundance, so they're putting that in," Smith says. "It's wide-eyed, so-this-is-the-movie-business kind of stuff."

Original rumors had the long-awaited "Oh, What A Lovely Tea Party" Jay & Bob Strike Back documentary film included, however it remains to be seen whether that will indeed be a part of this set or a future View Askew DVD release. With the release just a few short months away, expect a full feature list (as well as an early look at the entire set) soon.

2. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Just saw this as well at News Askew it's taken from Davis DVD and is uncomfirmed. Some of the info is redundant but alot is new. Here you are.

Before the stink palm. Before inkers were tracers. Before Jay and Silent Bob struck back. Clerks, the epic film that launched filmmaker Kevin Smith to the stratosphere of the geek elite, will celebrate its 10th anniversary this year with a monumental three-disc DVD set due on September 14th. Three discs you say? Yes indeed! Here's what to expect: a new and badly-needed anamorphic transfer (from new high def master), a patented View Askew audio commentary track (featuring Smith and his usual suspects), deleted scenes, a new documentary and behind-the-scenes footage, the three-hour (!) Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back documentary "Oh, What a Lovely Tea Party," footage from the recent reunion screening and Q&A session at LA's Arclight Cinema, trailers and promotional material and tons more.

One of the more interesting and highly anticipated extras on the set is going to be the "Julie Dwyer Funeral" sequence that was scripted, yet never filmed. Newly animated by Powerhouse Animation, this "lost scene" (featuring the voices of Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, and Joey Lauren Adams) will be able to be viewed by branching it back into the feature or on its own. Another possible extra on the disc set, although unconfirmed, could be the inclusion of the unseen live-action "Clerks" pilot starring Jim Breuer.

3. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

If the "Tea Party" doc is feature-length (the trailer says it's longer than "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" itself) then it could potentially get it's own DVD release. That would probably make more sense than adding it onto a "Clerks" disc since it's not about "Clerks", it's about "JASBSB". I'd rather have the 3 "Clerks" discs devoted to "Clerks" material and a have "Oh, What A Lovely Tea Party" get it's own release.

4. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

So you want to have to buy more dvd's huh? Miramax loves you (how many copies of Kill Bill are you gonna buy). While they're at it how about seperate Clerks X theatrical and extended DVD's. Hell lets make one for Mae Day while we're at it. This apple is too big we can't eat it in one bite. Seriously though as I quoted before "This set not only celebrates Clerks, but also View Askew's 10 years in the film business" so the doc would be suitable for this release IMO. It's more like 10 year celebration of the Askewneverse (sp?) it seems... All I know is I want to save my money so put it on the damn set already I say.

5. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I agree with Bill, I don't want Jay and Silent Bob strikes back stuff on the CLerks set.

It all started when Kev had the Dogma documentary added onto the Vulgar DVD, probably to generate some sales for the film. Also I ask if we REALLY need an indepth look at the making of Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back?

6. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

From what I understand it's not really a making of. It's more of a retrospective look back with everyone involved, that was filmed during the shooting of J&SB but is not limited to that film in scope. I can't believe you guys are asking for a seperate release are your real names Bob and Harvey by any chance? I mean really 3 DVD's you don't think they can fit this on there without losing anything? Why not include it?

7. Bill GrandPre

I guess you're right. I wish all of my DVD's were crammed onto as few discs as possible so that I would have to buy less. Maybe my "Panic Room" 3-disc SE would have been cheaper if they forced everything onto one disc. Maybe the entire "Godfather Trilogy" could have been crammed onto a single disc. Anyways, in reality I *would* like to have to buy more DVD's. I would rather have two discs of "Clerks" extras and a seperate "Tea Party" disc than one extras disc and another disc of "Tea Party" alone. It means more content, and for that I'm willing to pay more money. I'd prefer that they give both "Clerks" and "Tea Party" plenty of breathing room rather than cramming them all together.

8. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    1. Will the commentary from thwe original DVD release be on it?

2. Will the Flying Car Clerks waiting in traffic short that was presented on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno be on it?

9. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

"Cramming" them onto 3 DVDs? 25.5 gigs is probably enough space for everything. The only reason it would be left out is to make more money or for legal reasons. View Askew has been promising to deliver the doc on the Clerks X DVD for some time, I just want them to make good on their promise. And btw if there was say a 40 gig DVD then yes by all means put the entire Godfather set on 1 disc then I don't have to get up every 3 hours. Snoogans.

P.S. As for "It all started when Kev had the Dogma documentary added onto the Vulgar DVD, probably to generate some sales for the film." The Dogma doc was removed by the studio at the last minute from the Dogma SE. Kevin put it on Vulgar so the fans would have a chance to see it.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Would the two versions of Clerks actually have to be on seperate discs? I'd think seamless branching could handle it. Even without this, the movie isn't all that long and both version could likely fit on one disc anyway. IIRC, black and white compresses well.

11. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

My thoughts as well Dan. I'm not sure how much extras these guys think there can possibly be for a movie made on such a low budget. I can't imagine they would've had the money or forsight to shoot alot of behind the scenes type stuff then. On a 3 disc set there should be enough room for the doc and every conceivable Clerks extra on earth.

12. Bill GrandPre

Not if there's 3 discs worth of content. We don't know exactly what's on it, I'm saying I'd rather have 3 discs full of "Clerks" content and have "Tea Party" get it's own release than have the "Tea Party" disc as part of it.

13. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Alright I get your point. My thoughts are just that it was planned to be included which is probably why it was a 3 DVD set to begin with. If they came up with more Clerks content and it got bumped for space limitations then great. I'm just hoping we're not gonna get 2 full discs and one with filler because there were unresolved legal issues and Tea Party had to be cut for other reasons then space limitations. I saw the trailer for Tea Party and it looked like alot of fun, so in the end one way or another I just hope it sees the light of day.

14. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

I went and dug this up here's the Tea Party trailer if you haven't seen it yet (right click and save target as seems to be the only way to make it work). It's a decent size file 31 MB so prepare to wait if you're on dial-up. It does look more J&SBSB specific then I remember, but since nearly everyone from Clerks is involved I think it would fit in with the Clerks content alright. Also some images from the newly animated Julie Dwyer funeral scene can be found here

15. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

While I own the first release of Clerks, I have heard some really neat things about the new and improved version. As a View Askew die-hard fan, I must purchase this new DVD. As for the special features for Strikes Back, they could do it like "From the start to the finish..." Maybe not, since there will be a 6th movie coming out soon. Either way, special features are special features. [​IMG]

Ryan

16. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

What 6th movie? Are you just speculating? I've heard nothing of this.

17. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

Well, I heard Smith in an interview with CNN say something to the effect of "Well if this doesn't work out (Jersey Girl) then it's back to dick and fart jokes, you better belive it."

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Smith is making another Jay and Silent Bob movie after he finishes Green Hornet. This is because he promised Jason Mewes if he got clean that he would write/direct another Jay and Silent Bob movie for him to act in.

19. Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C Stunt Coordinator

I'm with the crowd who don't think it should be split across multiple releases. I'm not made of money and have limited resources for buying DVD's. If the documentary was split off, I'd probably not buy either disk to be honest. The Clerks X disk... I'll wait and see. I have all the other View Askew movies, but I'm curious to see the full list of stuff on this disk before deciding.

20. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

No tea party after all.

Link

What are they going to put on the three discs?