1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Classic Sci-Fi Titles...where are they?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Gage, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Michael Gage

Michael Gage Auditioning

Any news of DVD dates for any of these old Sc-Fi titles?

- Earth vs the Flying Saucers

- The Day the Earth Stood Still

- It came from Outer Space

- Invaders from Mars (1953)

- Incredible Shrinking Man

Also - is it true that a SE is planned for Forbidden Planet?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The Day the Earth Stood Still is nearing completion and is scheduled for a first- or second-quarter release. According to our man at Fox, it is a special edition featuring commentary by director Robert Wise.

There has been talk of the original Invaders From Mars being in production, but I have no details.

As for the other titles, no word as yet.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I have "Invaders from Mars" on dvd. I bought it a couple of years ago.

Crawdaddy

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Both versions were available on DVD, with the remake made from two different companies (Anchor Bay, then MGM) with different covers (I have the middle item; I HATE the MGM cover!):
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6304609213/qid=1011132112/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_2/002-4642302-7039232 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6304698003/qid=1011132202/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_14_2/002-4642302-7039232 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005K3OA//ref=sr_1_14_1/002-4642302-7039232
    The older one is currently OOP and can only be found used. A company called UAV put it out. No, I don't have it either.
    Incidently, the boy who starred in the original makes an appearance in the remake. Not unusual when you consider Cape Fear, Lost In Space, etc. But still noteworthy.

5. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    The original release is a piece of crap(the laser was much better). The Anchor Bay(the Elite laser runs the same time) of the remake runs 3 minutes longer than the recent MGM title, so I went with the Anchor bay. I timed one scene and it lasted about 8-10 seconds longer. Multiply that and you have the 3 minute longer version. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

I have the out-of-print DVD of the original "Invaders from Mars," and I must say it is the worst DVD transfer I've ever seen. Looks like a dupe of a dupe of a bad print that was dragged through the trash. [​IMG]
    Here's hoping for a better edition of this classic soon!

7. John Nelson

John Nelson Stunt Coordinator

I logged onto the HTF Forum for the first time in a while to see if I could find any word on whether "The Day The Earth Stood Still" would ever make it onto DVD and immediately find Jack Brigg's post. Well, I certainly came to the right place!

Great news, thanks for posting it Jack.

I've been looking forward to adding that to my collection. Along with "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "The War of the Worlds" my triumvirate of the top three must-have 50's scifi classics will be complete. Many would add "Forbidden Planet" and the original "The Thing" to this set, but I must confess I can't remember the last time I saw either of those films in their entirety.

8. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I think The Incredible Shrinking Man ought to be included, too.
    I also have the original Invaders From Mars disc, and although I agree it's an abysmal transfer, I still watch it, and won't be parting with it until I have the new one in my hand.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A big "duh!" on me regarding the original Invaders From Mars. But I can believe that about the transfer quality. I have seen this fairly recently on a cable movie channel (TCM perhaps?), and that transfer was absolutely dreadful, horrible.