What's new

Some Brief Notes by Brad About: Flaming Star (1960). Elvis & Horses, wife's two favorites (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well if there's one thing my wife Kyrsten likes, it is a film with her two "favorite things" in it, Elvis and horses. And this film has both.

Viewed On: Vizio 49" M-Series with a Sony S2100 Blu-ray player.

The Movie: I've seen a few Elvis films here and there (I have the DVD for Clambake (1968) and the four-movie Elvis set) and I must agree this, and probably along with King Creole (1958, Twilight Time, hint hint) are Elvis's best films for sheer acting talent. Sad that the Colonel didn't recognize this and had Elvis cast into too many "Elvis Sings to a Girl" movies. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and I'm not big into the Western genre.

The Technical Aspects: See Matt Hough's thread in the DVD/Blu-ray reviews forum. 100% concur.

Loved this film, well done Twilight Time.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I have this movie on its way. My wife loves Elvis movies too (which I believe is the norm :)). I like Elvis too for his incredible singing voice and his "coolness" (the rebel in him like James Dean). As for the girls, I prefer to have plenty of them in a movie as we guys need some scenery to look at too. ;) Besides, Elvis singing to a girl plays up to his greatest strength. Anyway I think I've seen this one before so looking really forward to it, even if it's not the usual Elvis vehicle.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brad,

Thanks for the review. This is on my list of Twilight Time Blu-rays to watch
in the next week.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Ronald Epstein said:
Brad,

Thanks for the review. This is on my list of Twilight Time Blu-rays to watch
in the next week.
Ron, you won't be disappointed in "Flaming Star"...it's one of the few real opportunities Elvis had in his film career to fully exercise his dramatic acting prowess, which was quite considerable, IMO...Col. Tom Parker screwed around too much with his artistic direction in this aspect of his professional life, which ultimately soured him on scripted film productions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks