What's new

Some brief DVD news from our trip out to L.A. - FOX/PARAMOUNT: UPDATE & APOLOGY JUST ADDED Pg. (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I cannot urge strongly enough Fox to begin a specific line of Film Noir classics on disc with all those wonderful pictures listed earlier in the thread. They don't need to have any extras - just a good transfer of good source material will do fine.

As an addendum, I should love to see the following as Studio Classics discs and herefore swear to promptly buy them upon release: Leave Her To Heaven, Thieves' Highway, Night and the City, The Innocents, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, Forty Guns, Pickup on South Street and Bigger Than Life.

If for whatever reason Fox cannot release these, then please license them into the capable hands of Criterion or someone similar.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Very interesting news, Bill.

As I stated before, Fox seemed to indicate that
there was no release date set for this release and
that it would appear much later in 2004.

We should know something definitive on this soon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Matt,

As stated before in this thread...

We have reported everything that we learned.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Jumpin’ Jack Flash *Special Edition*

*Newly mastered in HD anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1)
*Remixed Dolby Digital 3.0 and 2.0
*Closed Captioned

***Special Features***

*New forward by producer Joel Silver
*Selected scene analysis by director Penny Marshall
*New retrospective interview with Whoopi Goldberg
*Editor’s notes
*Poster art gallery
*Trailer and TV Spot
*Music Video

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Add my voice to the list who wish to see Diary Of Anne Frank in it's original theatrical incarnation ..... and that includes intermission and entr'acte. For those not interested, there's always the skip button to zip past the intermission anyway.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Fox,

I am another HTF member who respectfully request the release of your noir films.

I purchase noir DVDs and sing the praises of well done noir DVD releases to others.

Thank you.

Rich

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
In case I forget....can someone ask about a RAISING ARIZONA anamorphic special edition whenever that FOX chat takes place?......................thanks

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Update and Apology

I want to post a public apology here....

I always attempt to try to be honest about
all the information I post to this forum. I
don't like to post what I feel to be factual
information about an upcoming release without
having facts to back it up.

In the case of LOST IN SPACE to DVD....

I'm a huge fan of this show. In fact, I have
been politely asking Fox for the past two years
to put this show into production. In a small
way, I think my efforts (and those of the fans
within this forum) are the reason why the show
is finally being released in January.

You noticed that I have finally come to the
conclusion that the show is in fact going to be
released this upcoming January 13th, 2004.

This comes after a little more than a week
after I told all of you that there will be a
delay in the release. This was, from what I
had gathered, to be the situation regarding
Lost In Space when I asked Fox's
Peter Staddon directly about it during a
meeting at the studio in September.

Perhaps something was misunderstood in our
conversation? I don't think so, as there
were 4 other people in the room with me
who all heard the same conversation and can
confirm exactly what was told to me.

This is my opinion on why we were not
given confirmed information....

Fox was obviously days away from making a Press
Release announcement on Lost In Space and
My Darling Clementine. Obviously, Fox
did not want us breaking the news on the net early.

However....

If Fox would have confidentially told us the
information and asked us not to print it, we
would have heeded their request. We have been
told many private things that we have never posted
without authorization. It's a trust that we have
never broken.

Meanwhile, I am given false information and I
end up looking like a fool.

I apologize that I reported information that
I had thought to be correct. Be assured that it
did come straight from Fox and that there were
four others that confirm exactly what I originally
posted.

I'm a little embarrassed. The information I posted
was taken as FACT and passed along to Lost In Space
fan sites and other TV forums as factual. I ended up
with egg in my face as a result.

My apologies again.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Don't lose any sleep over it, Ron. Things happen all the time and TONS of internet sites report different things all the time. While I understand HTF is not just some average HT site, sometimes mistakes are made. I still believe you, Ron and anybody who is angered because of your "annoucement" isn't being fair to you, Fox, or HTF. Best wishes and keep up the good work.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Ron,

You're being waaaaay to hard on yourself.

If anything, I think it speaks to the credibility of your sources. Embarassing? My thought is it should only be embarrassing if there was something you could have reasonably done differently - and I don't see that.

Credibility on your part or HTF never even crossed my mind.

'Nuff said.

Rich

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I agree. It is a shame that you were misinformed, but we do not hold that against you. We appreciate the efforts you go to in providing us with this information, and we understand that you can only be as good as the information you are given. Hoping that those other sites that have reported your comments reflect the fact that no blame can attach to you.

(Now, if you worked on developing psychic abilioties, then you could identify when someone is or isn't providing you with accurate information.)

I personally am not interested in Lost In Space, but I know many people are, and this is good news for them.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Ron - you are taking the high road here and that is commendable. My personal opinion is that you do not owe anybody an apology.

I can certainly appreciate and respect Fox Home Entertainment not wanting the "beans spilled" on this, but I feel they could have easily said "nothing new to report as this time" and achieved their goal while maintaining their honesty.

While I am not a fan of this show and will not be picking up this set, I am looking for Fox to release certain other titles, and I would like to think that the information they release to folks such as yourself is reliable.

This episode could potentially make any info from Fox seem suspect; hopefully this was a one time incident of poor judgement on their part.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
No worries, Ron. Anyone who follows this site with regularity knows the quality of your work, and in the world of DVD, with new announcements/info emerging every week, sometimes every day, it's unthinkable that mistakes wouldn't slip through. :emoji_thumbsup: I'd be very surprised if Fox intentionally mislead you, though ... well, that's for them to say. I'd assume it was a mistake all around, but then I'm a notorious optimist. :D

Has the 13th been confirmed, now? That's a week later than the release date listed on DVDEmpire and reported in the recent DVDFile announcement. If it's the 13th, look at it this way -- they, too, are reporting in error! They're a week early. :) Or is it that there is, in fact, a delay -- one of a week, and Fox originally thought/suggested it would be a longer delay? Well, whatever the case, such things happen to everyone. But along the lines of what Paul has said -- the frankness and professional integrity reflected in your post is very commendable.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
This is totally unacceptable and disappointing. Now this is the last straw!! I am leaving this forum!!

JK. Not really. I don't think anyone's mad at you Ron. I'm not. Don't be so worried.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
You're not at fault. You were simply working with the info given you. Fox is at fault for giving you bad info. Too bad they could not be accurate about the info.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Has the 13th been confirmed, now? That's a week later than the release date listed on DVDEmpire and reported in the recent DVDFile announcement. If it's the 13th, look at it this way -- they, too, are reporting in error! They're a week early. Or is it that there is, in fact, a delay -- one of a week, and Fox originally thought/suggested it would be a longer delay? Well, whatever the case, such things happen to everyone. But along the lines of what Paul has said -- the frankness and professional integrity reflected in your post is very commendable.
The 13th is confirmed, per the press release TVShowsOnDVD got from 20th Century Fox. You can read it and see the box art in our here (I won't bog down this thread with it).

The amusing thing is that, a bajillion years ago (okay, roughly six months ago, probably...I'm not gonna go look it up) Amazon posted a boatload of release dates for Fox TV product early. The farthest-off title was Lost In Space. Fox asked them to take down those listings because they were premature, and the dates might not be correct.

The LiS listing way back then said...January 13th! :eek: So we've really come full circle, eh?

And I'll re-iterate what I told Ron in a private message: he's not at fault here, and has no reason to apologize. He's done his best, and I hope that neither Fox nor anyone else finds fault with him over this. Anyone who told Ron the wrong info was either misinformed or made an error in judgement about how to respond to his questions.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little embarrassed. The information I posted
was taken as FACT and passed along to Lost In Space
fan sites and other TV forums as factual. I ended up
with egg in my face as a result.
It's no big deal, it's just the internet, not the Wall Street Journal. No harm, no foul.

Kind of reminds me of the old 'Star Wars on DVD' business back many years ago.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
It's no big deal, it's just the internet, not the Wall Street Journal. No harm, no foul.
Well, I guess that depends how you mean it. If you mean that DVD reporting does not have the same grave consequences of financial reporting, I would agree.

If you mean that because it is the Internet we should assume or expect a lower standard of reporting than another form of news delivery, I disagree. Seems to me that the full range of credibility is available in print journalism. From the completely credible to the completely not. Hopefully, Ron and others that report over the Internet seek the highest standard of reporting and credibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks