What's new

Some brief DVD news from our trip out to L.A. - FOX/PARAMOUNT: UPDATE & APOLOGY JUST ADDED Pg. (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy any Sam Fuller Fox releases, especially Pickup On South Street and 40 Guns.

The other Fox Classic I'd love to see is Nicholas Ray's Bigger Than Life starring James Mason.

As for Paramount, did anyone ask what is up with The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Most likely, there will be no Jerry Lewis DVDs
released by Paramount in 2004.
Right out the gate with the most important news first right, Ron? ;)

Well too bad for us about Paramount's issues with their Jerry Lewis titles. Here's to hoping for The Big Mouth DVD from Columbia!

TimJS

Second Unit
Don't recall reading this anywhere else, but the Bits is reporting:

Hope that didn't steal your thunder Crawdaddy. I was disappointed that there wasn't a noir title in this report. Leave Her To Heaven would be a splendid choice.

I was under the impression from the last chat that Hangover Square and The Lodger were forthcoming. I asked about a 50th annv edition of Pick-Up On So. Street and wasn't sure if Mr. Staddon had ever heard of it. Anyway, noir release = sale for me.

Tim

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Tim --

In the big master list I keep on hand of titles named in chats and on dvd site announcements, in addition to the FSC possibilites already mentioned, the other remaining titles I noted as addressed by Peter Staddon in his last chat were Cavalcade and Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait. He said the former "should be out in 2003," but it now seems a likely 2004 candidate. He offered only a wink about the second. :emoji_thumbsup:

On the westerns front, I'd still like to encourage Fox to consider restoring and releasing the large format widescreen edition of The Big Trail (this was discussed by a number of folks here and elsewhere at the time of the alternate 35mm version's release to DVD). And my earlier support for silent and early sound films, as well as noir, certainly stands. There's just no such animal as "too many" in these categories.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oops, two more teasers that could happen in 2004, a Sunrise and another appearance of a Planet with Apes.

Crawdaddy

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
YES, finally two of my FAVES to arrive on DVD,
and a month apart !!!!!!!!
"PEYTON PLACE" and "THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK" !!!!!
HOORAY !!!!!!!!
Now, where is "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS" ??????????????????????

TimJS

Second Unit
A few minor but worthy noir titles...

Boomerang (1947) d.Kazan (Dana Andrews, Karl Malden, many others)

No Way Out (1950) d.Mankiewicz (Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier)- controversial, but not too controversial for FSC VHS

Ruby Gentry (1952)d.King Vidor (Jennifer Jones, Charlton Heston, Malden)David O Selznick production, not sure if still with Fox

Steel Trap (1952) (Joseph Cotton, Teresa Wright)

Plunder Road (1957)(Elisha Cook Jr.)

A couple of possible double features, Fox double-dipped theatrically...

Lodger/Man In The Attic (1953) Jack Palance in the role of the Lodger

I Wake Up Screaming/Vicki (1953)

Fox can earn double points for Henry King's The Gunfighter 1950, selling to both noir & western fans.

Tim

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Lodger/Man In The Attic (1953) Jack Palance in the role of the Lodger
I would buy this in a heartbeat, though I think THE LODGER would be better paired with HANGOVER SQUARE, a film with the same cast and director of THE LODGER, and with quite a few other similarities. Plus, it has an amazing score by Bernard Herrmann.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
WARNING about Diary of anne Frank.
The film was shown in two versions. Firwst run - 180 min with intermission and Overture, exit music for act One Intermission music and exit music for Act two. All of this was on the laserdisc version.
For its second run, Fox cut the film to 150 min without intermission. When Fox was restoring this to the long version, I saw the memos from George Stevens objecting to the cuts and especially the removal of the intermission. He thought the film was too intense for an audience to NOT have a break and the intermission was needed, even in the short version.
Now along comes George Stevens Jr, who seems to have the faultiest memory. He now claims his dad never wanted an intermission and the upcoming DVD of Anne Frnak will have the intermission removed along with the exit music for act One and the Intermission music. Save your laserdiscs!!!!

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Joe Caps's post about the ANNE FRANK intermission is sad news indeed. I hope there's time for George Stevens Jr. to reconsider tampering with his father's great film. The best DVDs are the ones that recreate as closely as possible the experience of seeing a film the way it was seen in its original release. I'd have thought Stevens Jr. would agree with that. And considering the intensity of the scene that comes right before it, the intermission would be a much-needed break. I guess I'll just have to use the pause button and make my own.

--Bill

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is Viva Zapata! scheduled to appear under the Fox Studio Classics banner next year? I recall a rumour, and in view of the passing of Elia Kazan, it would make a nice tribute.

---
So many films, so little time...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
"Nightmare Alley" & "Call Northside 777" & "Panic in the Streets" are 3 noir titles I'd buy in a minute.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
John, Viva Zapata! is available in Britain on Fox's budget range for £5.99. I would presume that any region 1 edition would also be bare bones. The transfer is superb.

Gordy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I know Gordon, but as a number of the Studio Classics titles have made it across the pond sans extras, I was kind of hoping that the release of Viva Zapata! in R2 would presage a full blown FSC release in R1! It surely does deserve it, n'est pas?

Besides, I can't help feeling, I saw it mentioned somewhere that it was being prepped, but I'm darned if I can find it now.

---
So many films, so little time...

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I know a lot of this can wait until the Fox chat but I sure hope Vanishing Point is still coming out, besides Twilight's Last Gleaming and the Star Wars Trilogy, it's the last Fox title on my list not on DVD.

Francis Yee Loy

Auditioning
When will FOX get on the ball with the "JUMPIN' JACK FLASH"
(1986) Special Edition?

I'm not making a joke people - really I would love to see a fully restored anamorphic widescreen video transfer and improved audio.
I too would love a Jumpin' Jack Flash SPECIAL EDITION! My VHS copy is worn to shreds, and has a bad pan & scan transfer. My CBS/FOX Home Video Laserdisc is even worse off, with a muted, grainy picture and severely unbalanced fake surround audio. Plus it has no chapters and displays the "Laservision Side 1/Side 2" logos at the beginning and end of both sides...

If Fox can release it with an anamorphic widescreen transfer, I would be so happy. If they could also get Penny Marshall, Whoopi Goldberg, Jon Lovitz, Annie Potts, Michael McKean, Carol Kane, Jonathan Pryce, Tracey Ullman or anyone else from the production to do a commentary or participate in supplemental material, that would be AMAZING!!!

Please, Fox! Release Jumpin' Jack Flash for 2004!

Francis

:D

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Interesting that you bumped into Mary Gross by Stage 21. I work on her show "A Minute With Stan Hooper" on Stage 20. We share cameras with "It's All Relative". Too bad I didn't get to see you guys when you were in town. Didn't know you were here.
I'd like to know what the next DTS titles are from Paramount. I think a lot of people were disappointed to learn that the Indy set would not be DTS. But we learned in our last So Cal meet that Paramount did indeed purchase a DTS encoder so they must be planning to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks