What's new

Some bad news concerning the dvd release of the original "King Kong" (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
If you can't wait until 2004, and have a LD player, seek out the King Kong/Son of Kong gatefold laserdisc release from the 90's. It turns up on Ebay now and again.

I have owned every version released on laserdisc (including the original 1984 Criterion box set.) and the transfer of the KK/SoK gatefold LD is the best the film has ever looked on home video.

If it looks as good as it does on LD now, I can just imagine what it will look like when they get around to releasing it again on DVD in '04.

Reed :)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
It certainly is interesting to see the evolution of this thread that stated in the title:

This isn't the biggest issue in the DVD world.
I'm somewhat on the fence about prerelease announcements. As indicated earlier, in other industries the 'six month rule' prevails among the more reputable manufacturers of technology. That is, if a product is within six months of a release make the announcement official. This way uncertainties don't create credibility problems. Since we would like to be better informed (if I hear the consensus correctly) we should expect this situation to happen from time to time for those releases that are projected to be released >6 mos. hence. I'd still prefer (if it isn't asking too much) that pre-announcements/official announcements were handled a bit better. Let's not blow this thing out of proportion.

Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Does the reason make a difference as to whether the studio wants to release a quality disc? And as long as they are doing their best on the restoration then shouldn't we let them get back to that process and not waste time telling us why it will be late (which could possibly cause even more delays)?
Actually Chris, good public communications rarely/never causes more delays. The people responsible for PR are not the same people involved with the technical aspects. In fact I agree with the premise that giving us the details of delays only adds to confusion. Though a reasoned and thought out communique on progress of any complex project both adds credibility to a company (studio) and squashes unwanted speculation. A simple, "we ran into unanticipated delays and now project an early 2004 release" would be sufficient. If they wanted to add, "the wait will be worth it -- we are adding a number of previously unreleased material" that would be OK as well ;) . We, of course, expect that any restoration will be of the highest quality. That bar has been set by several studios, including WB.

Joel

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yes, it is interesting since I started this thread, I've changed my position due to further reflection because I realized that "some bad news" isn't necessarily the case in this situation based on what Warner hasn't officially acknowledged about this possible dvd release. Furthermore, I believe I made the correct decision in changing my position which is interesting to me since initial reactions are not necessarily the correct way of looking at nor reacting to different situations.

Crawdaddy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

-Ray Harryhausen/Fay Wray commentary

-Extensive stills and artwork gallery (hook up with Forry Ackerman; for years he planned on releasing a book called, The King of Kongs cataloging his incredible still collection of Kong)

-Gallery showing advertising material (posters, pressbooks, etc.) and any other ephemera. Also, all remaining models and props

-Creation scenes (+ all extant models and artwork related to it); War Eagles(!) scenes (if they still exist, + all extant models and artwork related to it); O'Brien's Gwangi models and artwork; ALSO (because he was an important fig. in O'Briens career), Pete Peterson's "Beetlemen" and "Las Vegas Monster" footage (kinda' a stretch, but I'd love to see 'em!).

-Parodies section, with King Klunk, remaining footage of The Lost Island, Dave Allen's volkswagon commercial, and any others.

All I can think of for now...

edit: Oh yeah, deliver it to my doorstep tomorrow morning with a big, red bow on top!

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Furthermore, I believe I made the correct decision in changing my position which is interesting to me since initial reactions are not necessarily the correct way of looking at nor reacting to different situations.
Robert, a change of heart never needs to be a point of apology. If you truly have been turned around by the arguments/discussion then your reaction is quite appropriate and may even be courageous. My point about being 'PC' is that I sense a bit of 'goupthink' around here from time to time, whether for or against a subject. Some opinions tend to be 'shouted down' and perhaps unintentionally pour 'cold water' on different points of view. A respectful difference of opinion should be not only tolerated by celebrated as part of a way to explore different facets of an issue. There is no doubt that the internet has been a challenge in this regard. God knows my thinking has been changed on any number of topics as new information and reasoned arguments are made. I may sound like I have a dogmatic stance on a subject when I am only testing the strength of a given argument to see if mine needs to be modified/changed. This forum has a tradition of civilized discourse and that is why I participate. I stay away from threads that seem to have strayed from that principle. I think we have probably exhausted the original premise of this thread.

Joel

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
One thing I do know, that in the vast Universe that the colossus AOL/Time/Warner occupies I'm nothing but an extremely insignificant speck of dust. I seriously doubt that any opinion that I reveal about this corporation & their products & services here or in any other public forum is going to have any effect at all. WB seems to have made improvements in the DVD area, but the fallout from the management shake-up remains to be seen.

Some opinions tend to be 'shouted down' and perhaps unintentionally pour 'cold water' on different points of view
I know how this feels since I'm a maverick & my humble opinions are frequently non-PC. But that's alright. I "enjoy" stirring things up a bit. :)

I do seriously hope that Kong is given WB's "best" effort. The film deserves nothing less. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yes, for once I agree with you and I will refrain from further comments until more information is made available regarding King Kong's dvd release.

Crawdaddy

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
...and isn't King Kong the first WB/Criterion DVD?
King Kong will not be a Criterion DVD release. That was purely a rumor that was easily disproved by the incorrect information in it (e.g., the person that was the source of the info claimed to work for a company that no longer exists).

DJ

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
RE: Special features on the Kong DVD - does anyone know if the legendary spider pit sequence still exists in any shape or form?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

What I've heard is that the spider scene was a part of the "demo" footage (to get RKO to okay the rest of the movie), but if it exists or not is not due to this. The rest of the demo reel is in the movie. According to what I've read, Schoedsack cut it from the movie when, at an early preview, it "stopped the show," meaning it was too horrific and disturbing to the audience.

This is according to Goldner and Turner's Making of King Kong.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I think that's what I said and the other book is "The Girl In the Hairy Paw" edited by Ronald Gottesman and Harry Geduld, April 1976.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The wait for CITIZEN KANE was worth it...I'm sure the same will be true for KONG!
This is what scares me, Because the wait for Kane was NOT worth it, Kane would of been a better disc if they just took a previous existing master and used that. What we ended up getting was and over cleaned up and a way over bright transfer .

I'll hold off judgment until the disc is actually released, but I do have a bad feeling that maybe they are going to try and do too much.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Somewhat on topic: Warner appears to have actually licensed the MGM silent Quality Street for inclusion on the Image/Milestone Marion Davies documentary disc. AFAIK, that's the first MGM silent to actually hit DVD. So maybe they're loosening up a little on the licensing issue? Obviously Kong won't be Criterion, but perhaps AOL/TW might consider licensing some of its other material to Criterion.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
My definition of reference quality refers to the films, not what I watch them on. To me, my home theater is second banana to the DVDs themselves.
:confused: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this, are you saying that you define a DVD as being of "Reference Quality" based on whether you think the film is "good" or not? If so then that would no doubt be the first time I have ever seen that term defined that way.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I said or I you, because I never once mentioned my home theater or anything to do with home theater equipment, so there must be a miscommunication going on somewhere here.....either that or your definition of the term reference quality is quite unique.

I'm not trying to be cute here or anything...you honestly just lost me on that last one.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
Somewhat on topic: Warner appears to have actually licensed the MGM silent Quality Street for inclusion on the Image/Milestone Marion Davies documentary disc. AFAIK, that's the first MGM silent to actually hit DVD. So maybe they're loosening up a little on the licensing issue? Obviously Kong won't be Criterion, but perhaps AOL/TW might consider licensing some of its other material to Criterion.

From what I've read at alt.movies.silent, QUALITY STREET is public domain and the print sourced for the DVD didn't come from Warners.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My definition of reference quality refers to the films, not what I watch them on. To me, my home theater is second banana to the DVDs themselves.
You lost me here too. Does this mean that if they put out the crummiest-looking, worst-sounding version of your favorite film, you'd still consider it a "reference quality" DVD because you love the movie so much?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I'm sorry, I simply do not understand this way of thinking. :frowning:

I hope Kong looks as good as Kane, Sunset Boulevard, and North by Northwest. These are astounding looking DVDs, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks